May 01, 2024, 01:30:33 PM

Author Topic: Not Impressed with Druid  (Read 10618 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Not Impressed with Druid
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:54:41 AM »
The Necromancer vs. Druid expansion is great, but while I love the Necromancer I am underwhelmed by the Druid. I played many match-ups over the Thanksgiving break where the Druid was involved. She lost. Every single time. And only a few games were close. I played 2 or 3 times as the Druid. I tried different strategies and card combinations. Nothing worked. I can't help but feel like the Druid is a nerfed Priestess with vines. Don't get me wrong... the vines are really cool and fun. But me and my friends can't find a way to win as the Druid. Are we just that bad at Mage Wars?  :-\

Here are some reasons why I feel like the Druid is too weak.

#1: Mana Starvation - (Spells too expensive?)

Not only does Druid start with 9 channeling, but she has too many upkeep costs. Sure, she gets +1 channeling from Treebond but this isn't enough. Her trees have upkeep costs and Barkskin, which feels mandatory, sucks away 2 mana every turn. You can try compensating by casting stuff to boost your channeling, but my friends and I hate doing this because it feels like a waste of valuable tempo, especially in the beginning of games. I don't what it is but whenever anybody played Druid they were mana starved. It doesn't help when you have to play uproot costs to move creatures. Am I the only one who thinks her spells are too expensive? What are we doing wrong?

#2: Wrecked by Teleport

Teleport is common. I can't think of a spellbook I have made that doesn't include at least one Teleport. The problem is that Teleport wrecks the Druid. Let me explain.

First of all, the Druid has a lot of ways to restrain and block creatures... all of these are easily combated with teleport. Oh, you are using Vine Tree to cast walls? Teleport. Oh, you used a vine marker to give my creature the stuck condition? Teleport. Oh, you cast Tanglevine? Teleport.

Second of all, many of the Druid's creatures are rooted. This is a huge problem when the Druid's rooted creatures are simply teleported to a zone where they become useless.

#3: Creatures - (Not enough options?)

Now, I don't know if this will change once I have the Kumanjaro expansion (which I don't), but there aren't enough vine creatures to choose from. It doesn't help that being Druid makes you so many starved you never have enough mana to summon your good creatures.

#4: Too Much Defense?

I can't help but feel the Druid is too defensive. She doesn't have many solid attacking options. Her creatures are difficult to utilize and predictable. So she gets a lot of cool non-spell attacks, right? Well... there is Burst of Thorns. That is it. I was disapointed by this.

"See you space cowboy..."

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Not Impressed with Druid
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:13:26 AM »
Try to utilise your trees and druid together. When I use vine tree and the Samara tree there is a good way to usee your mana efficiently

turn 1 play vine tree bonded in back center row and move and summon tataree in back center row.

Turn 2 place a vine marker in back center row and an extra in near center. Summon. A raptor vine in NYC with vine tree and summon Samara tree in NYC with QC have tataree move and channel the Samara tree and then have druid move in and harmonize the Samara tree facedown.

Turn three reveal harm during channel and deploy a seedling pod each turn. Vine tree places a extra vine you place a vine you have

8 mana to cast or not cast. Meditation amulet builds mana fast vine whip staff places markers(twice a turn) for 1 mana.
Use wall of thorns with your mage and force push them through it.

Every turn move 2 damage from your mage to your tree and have it regenerate 2 damage

you want cast extras seedling pods in corners where the tree can't reach and vine tree cast walls when needed cast thornlashers to snatch then through for 6 die attacks. Druid is amazingly powerful.

Run 6 each of acid ball and geyser and surging wave and burst of thorns and dissolve

Edit wall of thorns and blood spine wall and force pushes

Remember they only have 4 wands and 4 teleports and four traps. You can run 6 dissolves 4 orchids and 4 seeking dispels
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:15:08 AM by aquestrion »

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:25:20 AM »
In the Druid vs. Necromancer game I played last night, it was the NECROMANCER who was mana starved, while the Druid had 30 mana at one point.  The channeling of 9 is effectively 10, since I doubt you're ever going to NOT use the treebond ability.

As for Barkskin, it seem far from mandatory, especially when your druid can lounge in the back corner and cast spells through vines on the other side of the map.  If someone does get up in your face, cast Barkkin only for as long you need it, and then quit paying the upkeep cost.  It goes back to your spellbook anyway, and can be cast again, possibly for a lot less than maintaining the upkeep the whole time.

I do agree that the Druid needs more variety, but I expect that will occur with future expansions.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 01:30:47 AM »
Quote from: MrSaucy
Her trees have upkeep costs and Barkskin, which feels mandatory, sucks away 2 mana every turn.

Which of her trees have upkeep costs? I looked at all 4 of the ones I'm aware of and none of them have an upkeep cost. Also, Barkskin is not mandatory. You can accomplish the same thing with a chest piece and regrowth belt. Barkskin is nice, but not mandatory.

Your opponent can only have 4 teleports in their book. You shouldn't let them bind this to anything, as that will present major problems to any mage, not just a Druid. You should also carry some teleports yourself, with which you can cause problems for them or undo the problems they caused for you. I don't see this as an issue really.

#3: Creatures - (Not enough options?)

The Druid is not limited to Vine creatures. Or even to Plant creatures. If you want to put a Steelclaw Grizzly in her book, it costs her the same amount to do so as a Beastmaster. She has plenty of options.

I can't help but feel the Druid is too defensive.

This right here might be your problem. Maybe you should play her more aggressively. Plop down your tree on round one in your corner, then rush your mage at your opponent. The druid is great at board control and should be able to keep her opponent off of her when she wishes, but that does not mean she has to keep off of her opponent.

For example: You could quick cast Vine Tree in your corner, then sprint to the Near Center zone on round 1. Then on round 2 you place a vine in the Near Center zone with your mage and then another vine in the far center zone. You can then use your Vine Tree to immediately deploy a vine creature or conjuration in the Far Center Zone and possibly start applying pressure on your opponent immediately.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 01:41:04 AM »
Yeah I was wrong about the Tree upkeep cost. Was thinking of something else.

I realize the Druid isn't limited to Vine creatures but I only included Vine creatures because I figured that would the best way to use her vines effectively. Clearly I was wrong about this.

Thanks for the ideas for applying early pressure with the Druid. I think some of us were trying to turtle too much with her.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 08:22:06 AM »

Teleport is common. I can't think of a spellbook I have made that doesn't include at least one Teleport. The problem is that Teleport wrecks the Druid. Let me explain.

First of all, the Druid has a lot of ways to restrain and block creatures... all of these are easily combated with teleport. Oh, you are using Vine Tree to cast walls? Teleport. Oh, you used a vine marker to give my creature the stuck condition? Teleport. Oh, you cast Tanglevine? Teleport.

I love the druid. I agree with you about Teleport, though - very frustrating to have opponents teleport out of your conjurations and stuck conditions. Fortunately' most of the Druid's abilities that restrain opponents are cheaper (in spellbook points) than teleports, so as long as you don't let the opponent bind teleport to a wand you should be able to deplete their teleport supply pretty fast. Another great option is Thornlasher, which can't restrain enemies but can often yank them back into its zone if they try to flee (and possibly punish them with bleeding, if you invest in a few bloodspine walls).

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »
Here is how I am aggressive with the druid.
round 1 ring leaf and vine tree (bond to tree)
channeling now 10
round 2 (2) mana flowers and pay 1 off vine tree to play an extra vine
channeling now 12
round 3 pay 1 of tree for an extra vine and you should now have enough mana to play any plant creature in your spell book and should be able to summon them right next to the enemy mage.

Yes you spend 2 rounds upping your channeling, but by round 3 you can cast any plant creature or other large creature you choose.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »
Here is how I am aggressive with the druid.
round 1 ring leaf and vine tree (bond to tree)
channeling now 10
round 2 (2) mana flowers and pay 1 off vine tree to play an extra vine
channeling now 12
round 3 pay 1 of tree for an extra vine and you should now have enough mana to play any plant creature in your spell book and should be able to summon them right next to the enemy mage.

Yes you spend 2 rounds upping your channeling, but by round 3 you can cast any plant creature or other large creature you choose.

This was probably the mistake I was making - spending too long gearing up. My opening with her was far too slow. My initial reaction was that the Druid was built for turtling and spending a while in the opening developing. Then again, I remember I used to think the Warlord was a swarm mage and hated him until I learned how to play him properly. I still wish the Druid had more vine creatures, but the major issue seems to be that she is difficult to play and so different from the other mages that it takes adjusting your style of play to fit her role.

My opening with her was:
Turn 1: Vine Tree + Harmonize.
Turn 2: 2 Mana Plants.
Turn 3: Barkskin + Vinewood Staff.

Yeah... gonna change that opening quite a bit next time I play as her.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:38:39 PM by MrSaucy »

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 09:46:52 PM »
In my opinion, the best opening with Druid is either Leaf Ring -> Vine Tree or Vine Tree -> Sprint to NC, depending on how aggressive you want to be.

Almost everything she wants to cast is a plant, so the ring acts pretty much like a Harmonize (just cheaper).

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 11:22:23 PM »
Vine tree doesn't let you place an additional marker by using vine trees mana that manager comes from the mages supply...you may pay 1 mana to place an additional vine marker using your spreading vines ability

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »
My mistake, either way it does not really change my opening move because it just means I will have more mana on my Vine tree to summon a creature with on round 3.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 11:58:06 AM »
@ Mr Saucy I agree with you that the Druid is difficult to figure out how to play well. I have already completely changed my druid spell book 3 times trying to figure out how to play her well. I think once people do figure out how to play her she will be really hard to defeat.

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »
I am not sure what this thread is about.

I am so OP with the Druid.  Okay, I lost once and won twice and did not look back. The opposing mages cannot handle the mass vines.. It just keeps coming and coming and more plants coming each turn.

Druid is so strong..

Just Vine like Crazy and have your big Trent do the beating while you other plants mass swarmed the Necromancer or other mages.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 01:46:08 AM »
So...

After playing many games over Christmas break (roughly 20) I realize how wrong I was about the Druid. Druid is not only a powerful mage but one of more powerful mages out there. But she isn't one of the easier mages to get a handle on, that is for sure.

This thread is pointless (should have noticed that sooner) but I just wanted to clear that all up.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:47:41 AM by MrSaucy »

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 08:10:53 AM »
This thread wasn't pointless at all.

You had a concern about a mage- and look at all the good that came out of it. Good strategy advice, druid play discussion.

This is a good thread- now the next person who feels underwhelmed with the druid will see this thread, look at it, and hopefully get some help. 

For my two cents- I remember when everyone I knew thought the druid was the most OP mage in the game, they hated my druid book, but then they started to figure out how to counter her amazing vine range, tricks and stopped worrying about her so much. The same happened back when the FM came out.     
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.