March 28, 2024, 06:27:34 AM

Author Topic: Another Drafting-Method (maybe good, maybe not so)  (Read 2963 times)

diceman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Another Drafting-Method (maybe good, maybe not so)
« on: November 30, 2013, 07:40:57 AM »
There's another similar Drafting Method already out there, however, with the one I came up with, you won't be passing decks back and forth between players, such being able to monitor which cards your opponent took. Tell me, what you think of it: :)

First, shuffle the Mage-Cards, each Player draws one. Put the others aside without looking at them. Now look at the card you drew: this is the caracter you will be building a Spellbook for. Or, alternatively, if you have two Core-Sets available, each Player may choose his Mage (secretely).

Seperate all the cards into Categories: Creatures, Equipment, Attacks, Enchantments, Incantations, Conjurations. Shuffle each deck. Then work through all the Categories, using the following rules:

1. Deal 10 cards to each player.
2. Each Player chooses 5, then puts the other 5 on a discard pile.
3. If at one point there aren't enough cards on the pile left to deal 10 cards to each player, shuffle the remaining cards with the discard pile.
3. Repeat Steps 1+2 (and 3) for each category, until each player has a certain amount of cards: Creatures (20), Attacks (15),  Equipment (15), Enchantments (25), Incantations (25), Conjurations (20) = 120 cards.

Now build your Spellbook according to the rules, by throwing out cards you don't need/can't use. Best/fastest way to do this, is by counting your maximum Spellpoints for each category seperately, then write them down, then start to calculate.

Haven't had the chance to test this yet, though.  ::)
So chances are, this method may suck (or might be optimized). ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:41:54 AM by diceman »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Another Drafting-Method (maybe good, maybe not so)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »
I like it. I'm not sure about your suggestion of setting maximum spellpoint limits on each category of spell. That's just not how I build my books. But that's a minor difference of opinion. The methodology of the draft I think would work fine.

I might tweak the numbers a bit. Keeping 50% of the cards randomly dealt to you might not give you enough control to balance out the randomness.

I also might allow each player to choose which pile they wish to draw from every round. There are some mages who don't care about a particular category as much as the others might. The obvious example is Forcemaster and Creatures. Why do they need to pick 20 creatures when they're only going to keep like 2 of them? Also, a lot of my books don't use many Conjurations, so I might not want to collect 20 of them.

diceman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Another Drafting-Method (maybe good, maybe not so)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:57:37 PM »
I'm not sure about your suggestion of setting maximum spellpoint limits on each category of spell. That's just not how I build my books.
Ooops, that totally not what I meant.  ;) I was just thinking of a fast way how to calculate Spellpoints and keep track of the total amount left; you know, which cards you're gonna throw out, which one you're gonna keep. I didn't mean to include any arbitrary restriction for Spellbook-Building.

With your other suggestions you're probably right. This method needs some refining, before it'll work.