April 28, 2024, 12:10:08 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Extreme  (Read 4228 times)

ktype2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Extreme
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »
I managed to try a certain game mode with my gaming group. I'm not sure about the overall balance of the concept, but the game became ridiculously fast after we implemented these modifications.

Mage Wars Extreme (We didn't really know what to call it LOL)

changes:
1. The quickaction token is not used (you'll see why in a few)
2. Much like creatures, the mage can use his fullaction token to move or attack (physically/weapon), but not to cast spells
3. Mages can cast as many spells/creatures as they can, provided that they can pay for it.
4. The planning phase is removed.The Mage has his spellbook and its contents ready for casting/summoning at all times

-Now, mages can run around while casting spells.

5. Mages can't cast a full action spell after moving once. So you must not move if you want to put out creatures or fullaction spells like firestorm

Optional rule

1. The quickaction marker can be used to make an incantation quick cast spell quicker. (once per turn)
ex. Mage attacks with wand. opposing mage flips quick action token to cast dissolve on wand.  

Just a random experiment. Hope you guys like it

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Extreme
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 10:57:57 AM »
Has anyone else tested this idea? I'd love to hear how it went and how it might be improved, since this looks pretty fun. If not I think I'll try it on OCTGN.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Extreme
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »
Trying to see if I understand the concept fully. So, you can cast as many spells as you want, whenever you want, without taking any actions to do so, and without needing to prepare them before hand?

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Extreme
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »
Really close. You can't cast full action spells in a round after you've moved, but you can cast as many quick action spells as you can pay for in that round. I'm personally wondering if perhaps the game needs to be more continuous for that to work well. I'm thinking there shouldn't be a quick cast phase since there's no qc marker. So basically there's just the upkeep, deploy and action phases. I don't think I like the optional qc marker for increasing priority.

I'm kind of curious about the spellbooks ktype2's playgroup used for this.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:19:01 PM by Imaginator »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »
So I could rush at you with my mage, and in round 2 cast 6 Flameblasts your way for an average of over 30 points of damage (24 Dice + Burns) plus possibly hitting you with my Mage for another 3 dice of damage. The OP was probably right about it being ridiculously fast. Doesn't sound very strategic either. I think I'll pass.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »

So I could rush at you with my mage, and in round 2 cast 6 Flameblasts your way for an average of over 30 points of damage (24 Dice + Burns) plus possibly hitting you with my Mage for another 3 dice of damage. The OP was probably right about it being ridiculously fast. Doesn't sound very strategic either. I think I'll pass.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. It was an interesting idea, but it doesn't work.