April 29, 2024, 11:34:49 AM

Author Topic: DvN rules questions  (Read 276664 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: DvN rules questions
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2013, 07:14:42 AM »
Quote from: Ravenous Ghoul
as a quick action it may take that creature from its discard pile and remove it from the game to gain a Growth marker.

Quote from: Codex for Reanimate
If this creature is destroyed, it is moved from the discard pile to the zone it was just destroyed in, and placed face down in that zone, with a face-down action marker on it. This creature is considered temporarily out of play.

Quote from: New Rules
When an object is removed from the game, unless an ability or effect specifically says otherwise, it is beyond the reach of any effect or ability in the game, and has no effect on anything in the game.

Reading the above text I think it is pretty clear that your assumption is correct. The ravenous ghoul can not feast because the creature is currently removed from play.

Correct
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2013, 09:14:57 AM »
Do the discount from Death ring (pay 1 less mana when casting undead or necro spells) kick in when reanimating?

There might be a slight difference between Eternal servant (necro special) and the remaining ways to renanimate such as Ziggurath (conjuration) and Rise again (enchantment).

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2013, 09:27:34 AM »
The discount from Death Ring kicks in when you cast or reveal a necro or undead spell. You do not get the bonus just because the spell caused a reanimate effect. The spell MUST have the necro or undead subtype. If it happens to also reanimate, that is just a happy coincidence.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »
To answer specificly, Eternal Servant does not get the discount. Neither does Ziggurat of Undeath. They are do not have either the Necro or Undead subtypes. Rise Again does receive the discount, but it has a reveal cost of 0 so it can't be reduced further.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »
To answer specificly, Eternal Servant does not get the discount. Neither does Ziggurat of Undeath. They are do not have either the Necro or Undead subtypes. Rise Again does receive the discount, but it has a reveal cost of 0 so it can't be reduced further.

Also correct and that gives you 3 stickers. Enjoy 8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »
Seedling pod and range on spells?

Seedling Pod:
"... It may cast 1 plant creature or conjuration which targets its zone, an object in its zone or a border of its zone. If it does, destroy seedling pod."

So here we see that when you use the spawnpoint effect of Seedling Pod whatever spell you wanna cast has range 0-0.

Vine markers:
As the Druid, or any object she controls, casts a vine spell, you can destroy a target Vine marker she controls as an additional cost to cast that spell.
If you do, you may target that Vine marker’s zone, an object in that Vine marker’s zone, or a border of that Vine marker’s zone, ignoring range.

This leads me to believe that Seedling Pods actually can cast outside its own zone. The requirement is that the seedling spell cast a spell with subtype plant and vine.
Alot of nature spells has both vine and plant as subtyp and these live up to both criterias.

Is this intended by design? Seedling pod can cast non-vine plant spells in its own zone, and plant AND vine spells in its own zone + any zone it has LOS to with a vine marker?

EDIT:
Added more info to vine markers (copy/paste from rulebook)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:59:48 AM by jacksmack »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
I can not answer if it is intended by design. Someone from the actual design team would have to answer that. However, that is the way it would function as currently written.

I believe ACG is correct.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:33:38 PM by Zuberi »

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2013, 03:23:10 PM »
Seedling pod and range on spells?

Seedling Pod:
"... It may cast 1 plant creature or conjuration which targets its zone, an object in its zone or a border of its zone. If it does, destroy seedling pod."

So here we see that when you use the spawnpoint effect of Seedling Pod whatever spell you wanna cast has range 0-0.

Vine markers:
As the Druid, or any object she controls, casts a
vine spell, you can destroy a target Vine marker
she controls as an additional cost to cast that spell

This leads me to believe that Seedling Pods actually can cast outside its own zone. The requirement is that the seedling spell cast a spell with subtype plant and vine.
Alot of nature spells has both vine and plant as subtyp and these live up to both criterias.

Is this intended by design? Seedling pod can cast non-vine plant spells in its own zone, and plant AND vine spells in its own zone + any zone it has LOS to with a vine marker?

Text on the card overrides more general rules. The text on Seedling Pod is more specific than the Druid's ability, and places strict limits on how it can cast its spell, so it takes precedence.

lettucemode

« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:41 PM »
That's a pretty good insight, jacksmack, but I think you would have to resolve the Seedling Pod's ability first before you could start resolving the Druid's ability. I think the order of effects would be:

1) Seedling pod casts plant spell
2) Resolve plant spell
3) Seedling Pod is destroyed
4) Druid ability starts to activate but then fizzles since the spell being cast has already been resolved.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »
Im not sold yet.

@ACG
I consider (perhaps wrongly) the druid stat card to have the same level of authority/priority as a other cards.
AKA both above the rules - equally above.

@Lettucemode
You dont resolve anything before you have declared a target and checked for LOS and Range and pay mana.
Other spells are not casted into Zone A, being resolved there, and then transfered to Zone B with a vine marker.

I see that i copied too little to my first post about the Vine marker - i will edit it with the remaining info.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2013, 02:12:31 AM »
You make a valid point, Jacksmack, and I would love to hear an official answer on it. However, until then, I still believe ACG is correct. Here is why:

The Druid's ability does not contradict the rules. The text on the Druid card is unnecessary past "During the Deployment Phase, you may place a Vine marker in a zone." After that, they could have just expected players to read the codex and memorize what Vine Markers do. I believe the remaining Druid text is to remind you of the rules, not to supercede them. Therefore, the specifics of the Seedling Pod takes precedence over the general rules outlined in the Codex and repeated on the Druid Ability Card.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2013, 02:20:15 AM »
You make a valid point, Jacksmack, and I would love to hear an official answer on it. However, until then, I still believe ACG is correct. Here is why:

The Druid's ability does not contradict the rules. The text on the Druid card is unnecessary past "During the Deployment Phase, you may place a Vine marker in a zone." After that, they could have just expected players to read the codex and memorize what Vine Markers do. I believe the remaining Druid text is to remind you of the rules, not to supercede them. Therefore, the specifics of the Seedling Pod takes precedence over the general rules outlined in the Codex and repeated on the Druid Ability Card.

Now i think you are right.

But i think its a clumsy way compared to just adding this to the seedling pod "this spawnpoint cannot use vine markers".

lettucemode

« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2013, 08:01:42 AM »
@Lettucemode
You dont resolve anything before you have declared a target and checked for LOS and Range and pay mana.
Other spells are not casted into Zone A, being resolved there, and then transfered to Zone B with a vine marker.

When I said "resolve" I was not using the Mage Wars definition of resolve, as in the Resolve Spell step. I was using the more general gaming definition. As soon as you say "I am casting this spell", paying the mana and checking range and LoS are absolutely a part of resolving that casting effect (under the more general definition of the term).

Your second sentence supports my point. All spawnpoints have restrictions upon what they can cast and how. When casting a spell with a spawnpoint, you must resolve (again, more general definition) that spawnpoint's casting effect before starting to resolve any others. In this case, by the time the Druid's vine marker ability could start to occur, the spell cast by the Seedling Pod already has a target (and has in fact been resolved entirely due to the "Then, "), so the Druid's ability does nothing.

This is different from Samara Tree or Vine Tree because their casting effects only say "You may cast a <type> spell". Since these effects do not mention targeting or say "Then, ", it resolves as soon as you say "The Vine Tree casts this spell". Now there is room for the Druid's ability to take effect.

ACG/Zuberi's explanation also makes sense to me and is a lot simpler to explain.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:16:21 AM by lettucemode »

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2013, 08:55:07 PM »
It appears to me that the wording "As the Druid, or any object she controls..." allows Seedling Pod (an object controlled by the Druid) to destroy a target Vine marker and effectively change the zone of Seedling Pod's spell (assuming is has both Plant and Vine sub-types). Targeting rules would apply between the Seedling Pod (object) and the Vine being destroyed, but the range requirement is ignored.

All Spawnpoint objects have limitations on the spells they cast. The Druid ability and Vine Marker codex wording clearly intend for Druid controlled objects to cast Vine spells from Vine Markers. Why are we singling out the poor Seedling Pod as something to treat differently?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2013, 09:16:38 PM »
Seedpods can not use vine markers.

The codex of vine markers states who can use them:

the druid, her familiars, and tree spawn points.