March 28, 2024, 11:46:27 AM

Author Topic: Charting strategic playstyles for each mage using my hypothesis  (Read 2638 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
So remember when I posted a hypothesis about the different playstyle archetypes in mage wars and their matchups? In case you don't remember, here it is. I decided to rename some of them to be less confusing.

Swarm (offensive aggro)>Position control (defensive control)>Assassination (offensive combo)>Attrition (defensive aggro)>Few Big (offensive control)>Denial (defensive combo)>Swarm...

Swarm=Attrition
Few Big=Position control
Assasination=Denial

Before my hypothesis can be tested, the playstyles of the different mages need to be defined.

Here is my chart:

Beastmaster

His main strategy is Few Big, or offensive control. This usually involves summoning a few creatures and buffing them, while holding off enemy threats with their offensive power. The beastmaster can also do some swarming if he uses some position control via hindering, tanglevines, and his fox's taunt.

Priestess

Her main strategies are attrition (defensive aggro), and Few Big (offensive control) She summons defensive creatures with armor and defensive enchantments to outlast the enemy by being able to survive more damage than the enemy can. She's good at transitioning from an attrition strategy to a Few Big strategy with her powerful angels and knights.

Earth Wizard

Position control and Denial. These two strategies work really well together. Denial seeks to prevent your opponent from using their best spells or objects, often using things like conditions, counterspells, or mana denial. When you add in position control, you could be adding things like tanglevine, walls, force hold, and stun conditions, which not only helps control position, but it also can help a denial strategy a lot, since controlling creature positions helps lessen the effectiveness of those creatures' actions. You often don't need to deal with a bear strengthed creature directly with things like weak or daze when you can just prevent the enchanted creature from ever reaching you.

Fire Wizard

Few Big and Denial

Air Wizard

Position Control, Few Big and Denial

Warlock

Few Big and Assasination

Forcemaster

Position Control and Assasination

Warlord

Few Big, Attrition and Position Control

Necromancer

Swarm and Few Big?

Druid

Denial and attrition? Maybe with a bit of position control?

I strongly suspect it's safe to assume that hybrid builds are more competitive than non-hybrid builds. With that in mind, in order to test my hypothesized match ups, looking at the game outcomes are not enough. Since mages can use multiple different playstyle strategies in the same build, you would have to keep logs of a large quantity of games between players of relatively equal skill and try to figure out what strategies the players are using at any one time, as well as who has the advantage at that time.

Recording/logging competitive games and writing down our observations about the strategy in those games would probably be a long project, but I think it will be worth it for informing new players and improving spellbook construction and how we describe our strategies.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:58:32 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Charting strategic playstyles for each mage using my hypothesis
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:38:40 PM »
For some reason most of this post does not show up on tapatalk.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.