April 18, 2024, 06:58:36 AM

Author Topic: Game plan and "cheat sheets"  (Read 8397 times)

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
Game plan and "cheat sheets"
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »
I cant find any mention of this topic.

i have my basic game plan of my first 10 moves in mage wars, and of course i can never play my first 10 moves without deviating to accommodating for the other mage. this topic is not about "you will never get to play 10 turns without change yada yada"

i have my first 10 moves printed onto a sheet of paper (i call this my cheat sheet), am i allowed to bring this sheet of paper with me while i play at comp lvl mage wars.
this can be generalised to "can you look at external information, ie Game notes, game plan, counter plays, X is countered by Y"

i currently have my first 10 moves printed in a excel spread sheet which i printed into 4 mage wars size cards and fit it into the back sheet of my mage book. i find it useful because i can plan stuff like "if i need 21 mana to summon X at turn 7, i cant spend more then 8 mana in turn 4"

a practical example might help
here is an example of my game-play for my temple priestess (pre errata)

if i wanted to summon an angel (east wind is just a place holder) in turn 5, i have no spare mana. so in one game i had to dodge an attack in turn 4 so as i know i spent 9 mana that round i could pick any other spell that would cost 9 or less mana (in this case i chose reverse attack)

so would bringing a printout like this be allowed at any sanctioned event according to Arcane wonders (i understand other TO's can have custom rules, but they usually base it of AW rulings)
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
Re: Game plan and "cheat sheets"
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:48:20 PM »
If there is no information about this can i assume that it is not illegal?
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I mean, I brought it up to my group, and most of them said it should either be memorized or worst case, just put it in the spellbook in the exact order you play. Honestly it's up to the TO, however seeing as this isn't really fleshed out as a tournament game yet, there is no official ruling that I know of. I wouldn't be surprised if a 'no outside assisting resource' rule was decided on, as is most cases I've seen.

So no official answer yet.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
I would not allow outside match notes in the events I run. It is a very common rule in almost every major tourney game
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:16:52 AM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
alright, time to study up

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 07:17:43 AM »
alright, time to study up

Notes taken during a match are fine for that match.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »
Taking notes during play, official or not, seems kinda...inconsiderate.  MW games last long enough even with both parties paying attention.  I guess if you don't have a strategy buddy to talk to during games, it's ok. 
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 12:22:02 PM »
Taking notes during play, official or not, seems kinda...inconsiderate.  MW games last long enough even with both parties paying attention.  I guess if you don't have a strategy buddy to talk to during games, it's ok.

It is possible to take notes and not slow a match down.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 01:06:54 PM »
Being an Excel geek I really like your format and set up Nitro.  Very cool.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 04:39:52 AM »
I found that just making the spell books was not enough as I had no drive at the start of the match. once I used my excel to plan the first 10 moves my game pace increased dramatically.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 08:50:21 AM »
I've seen several tournament players take notes during a game and I don't have a problem with it. If you want a separate sheet to keep track of how many minor heals or force pushes are left in your deck, or how many dispels I've used up, that's fine with me.

That said, I expect that note sheet to be blank at the beginning of the match. If you walk into a Saturday/Sunday tourney match with a sheet full of words and numbers, I can only assume that you've spied on Thursday/Friday games and taken notes on everyone else's spellbook construction. While it's practically a given that some highly motivated tournament players will spectate other people's matches and use this as an unfair advantage, I sure as hell don't want to see them refer to a page of notes on my spellbook.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »
I've seen several tournament players take notes during a game and I don't have a problem with it. If you want a separate sheet to keep track of how many minor heals or force pushes are left in your deck, or how many dispels I've used up, that's fine with me.

That said, I expect that note sheet to be blank at the beginning of the match. If you walk into a Saturday/Sunday tourney match with a sheet full of words and numbers, I can only assume that you've spied on Thursday/Friday games and taken notes on everyone else's spellbook construction. While it's practically a given that some highly motivated tournament players will spectate other people's matches and use this as an unfair advantage, I sure as hell don't want to see them refer to a page of notes on my spellbook.

This is what I am talking about

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 03:18:20 AM »
   Agreed. Shadow, for the tournement play, there may be some folks who are working demos for AW that could be helping run and also playing in the tournies. I would guess that if they are helping run the event, they are not allowed to play any matches for the whole tournement. But if they help run on one day are they allowed to play on a different day? If so, they would have access to see the sheets for spell books that players have to submitted on the day they helped run. I am preguessing no they cannot help run on one day and play on another. But that could give an unfair advantage if they would be allowed.

I also know that folks want to help with events to lend a hand, and also want to play too. It was just me wondering about the technicalities/logistics.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »
   Agreed. Shadow, for the tournement play, there may be some folks who are working demos for AW that could be helping run and also playing in the tournies. I would guess that if they are helping run the event, they are not allowed to play any matches for the whole tournement. But if they help run on one day are they allowed to play on a different day? If so, they would have access to see the sheets for spell books that players have to submitted on the day they helped run. I am preguessing no they cannot help run on one day and play on another. But that could give an unfair advantage if they would be allowed.

I also know that folks want to help with events to lend a hand, and also want to play too. It was just me wondering about the technicalities/logistics.

All build list are with Patrick and myself and can only be looked at by MW people not playing in the event. If you want to copy your list I allow it after the current event or before the next event.

Hanma

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
Actually, in most games, magic for example you are allowed to bring outside notes within reason. Such as like, I'm playing against X, this deck usually has X threat that destroys me. Etc.