May 01, 2024, 03:49:33 PM

Author Topic: How to take care of time wasting on purpose in tournaments?  (Read 6218 times)

Hanma

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: How to take care of time wasting on purpose in tournaments?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »
I can see why this would be a topic of discussion, Charmyna and I were talking about the viability of control builds in a 1 hour and 20 minute meta and the idea of damage and stall came up. I've never dealt with a chess timer personally but I feel like the intricacies of dealing with a chess timer would be hell honestly. Exact rules for how it works, when you are allowed to apply it, etc. Not only would it create a decent amount of controversy during the game when an opponent was responsible for starting your timer etc during certain times but you would almost need a different rule book for proper use of the timer in tournaments.

I feel like the best thing to do would be what most competitive games do, such as magic, is to use common sense. It is very apparent when people are stalling on purpose and also quite easy to judge what a reasonable amount of timer per action, spell selection, etc is without giving it a finite amount of time. There are also some people that just legitimately think through things a bit longer than most people, myself for example. So you could judge using common sense how long your opponent is taking relative to yourself, other people playing in the tournament, and even the opponent himself(Such as taking 1 minute to pick spells and then things getting tight and all of a sudden he takes 3 every time.

Although I do believe what needs to be in place if this game plans to progress in a competitive environment is a judge system(Do they have this? I looked but didn't see anything) as well as concrete rules for what happens at certain times, such as: verbal warning, game loss, penalty, DQ, etc.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: How to take care of time wasting on purpose in tournaments?
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 05:10:18 AM »
My feeling is that the majority of delaying comes into the spell selection.  I think the approach charmyna suggests of using the chess time in the selection/planning phase does quite well to constrain things... It would mean that the timer only needs to be set to 20-30 minutes, as a lot of the game happens outside the selection period, but it would add a possibly fun element of pressure.