March 28, 2024, 11:49:54 PM

Author Topic: Will the Errata for ToL, HoB, and Battlecry be implemented in new printings?  (Read 9214 times)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Pretty much as the title says.

I was wondering if new print runs for both upcoming expansions and new runs of existing base set, spell tombs, and expansions will be based on the errata'd version of the cards.  If so, will there be a way for buyers to know what version they're getting? 

Guess I was thinking I'd play with a printed version in the card sleeve, but long term would like to swap out the make shift card.  One way to do that would be to buy a 'fixed' release, which I probably want to do at some point anyway....

Thoughts?

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
All I can do is direct you here, where they discuss it slightly.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12796.0

It was said that they will be reprinted for a new set where they fit, however that wasn't planned until roughly 2014. If they will change the core set printing to modify it however, I do not know.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Depends what you mean by fit.  Its esentially where they are printing the cards as part of a set, they'll use the new wording (see below).  My question is more about reprints of the existing expansions I guess.

"...John is correct that we are planning revised wordings of these cards for a release next year.  We would have to cut cards from Druid vs Necro, to fit in these reprints.  Though we do have mages down the road who it makes far more sense would use these cards.  We decided to work them into a set where they would also fit thematically..."

It was said that they will be reprinted for a new set where they fit, however that wasn't planned until roughly 2014. If they will change the core set printing to modify it however, I do not know.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
I understand. I guess my thinking is that if they went out of their way to say they would be reprinted next year in a new set, it just seems odd they wouldn't just say that next run of the core it would be modified, if that was considered. I'm not an official answer however, just speculating, so feel free to ignore my ramblings.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
No worries, me too :)  I mean it makes sense they'd use the new wording in new print runs.  But I have not idea how often a print run of a game like this may take to get to.  I hear some games only ever get a single print run, other games seem to have a couple a year.  I guess as much an issue in there will be whether we can tell if its got the new cards/wording or not.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile

"...John is correct that we are planning revised wordings of these cards for a release next year.  We would have to cut cards from Druid vs Necro, to fit in these reprints.  Though we do have mages down the road who it makes far more sense would use these cards.  We decided to work them into a set where they would also fit thematically..."

Q1.  Why would they have to 'cut' cards from Druid vs Necro to include these in that set?  Couldn't they include whatever cards are going in that expansion AND include these cards?  Seems if they would make a change they wouldn't want to make customers wait until 2014 to get new cards and in the mean time have to use make shift ones.  Or at least make the update closer to the expansion that it would be released?

Q2.  Since it mentions it would be printed in a new set where they fit, and in the 'future' there would be mages that could make use of the new cards does that mean the Druid will not include Holy as one of it's types so the Druid can't make use of the temples, or by 'thematically' it just means it wouldn't meld well with it's general strategy?

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Q1. I'm just under the assumption that they have to keep the card count at a certain range for either msrp reasons (to keep the cost where they want it to be) or for print run reasons. I don't need the new cards, I have them printed out and memorized. However the fact they even said they would put in new copies at some point makes me happy.

Q2. In one of the news letters.. hold on.. http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=9da956a569c65d5b054e80642&id=4ce4268cb9   Druid is supposedly going to be nature/water. Or at least be nature with a subfocus on water. The ad for it is about halfway down. Thematically seems to just mean to go along with that mages particular stratagy, though they always seem to include spells for all the schools in each set so I don't know. Like I said, I'm in no big rush, with the pdf file out and all.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Q1: Right now the druid and the necro are two of the most card intensive mages we've made.  We only get so many cards in an expansion and these two mages are very demanding on that limit.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Hi, it doesn't seem like I'm framing my question very well.

I'm not asking whether AW is going to print a bucket load of cards. I'm asking whether new print runs of boxes that have the TOL in them now, like the base game, and spell tombs will be updated to the new wording and if this will be marked on the box somehow.

The latter part is probably the main point, although it's redundant if there isn't a print run planned for like 2 years.

I must admit I don't really get the arguments about the limits on cards in the expansion. I don't think people are asking for more cards in the expansions. Or to replace cards. Just when you go to the printer you say, when you print these 100k cards for us, wrap and box them, we also want 500 or 1000 of each of these, unbundled.

Small card runs are obviously possible, they're being done as part of the foil releases and Dice tower promos. Most other companies seem to be able to get promo items printed. You've done it.. Why can't you do it for these cards?  Sure, you're busy, maybe you don't want to do it right now. But it seems strange to be suggesting it can't be done.

It feels more like the responses are saying we don't want to spend any money fixing this. And I don't understand why, when we'll  buy them off you. Preferably at cost, and probably not without the odd complaint. But we'd buy them.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
I must admit I don't really get the arguments about the limits on cards in the expansion.

Cards are printed in large sheets. The set size is determined by the number of cards that can fit on a set number of sheets.

If you add more cards then you have to do it in multiples of the number that fit in a sheet or you are just wasting money.

So if each sheet has 50 cards on it (for arguments sake) then your set will be in multiples of 50 cards. If you add four cards to a set then it has to be printed on another sheet which would require you to either come up with 46 other cards (or card variants) to print or you lose money.

So if a set had 50 cards in it, printed on a single sheet, you'd either have to come up with 46 other cards and double your printing cost or take out 4 cards in order to maintain your budgeted printing cost.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
When you do it - dont forget to add:

6 Black cubes
2 red cubes
2 player boards
10 damage counters
I didnt even realize that i didnt have all i needed for a 4 player game after buying:
base game
tome 1
tome 2
Warlord vs forcemaster
Action marker set
Spellbook pack (1)

GREAT dissapointment. And tbh... very unacceptable.

Bonus
12 red dice (for a total of 20 - 10 for each player)
1 D12 (1 for each player in total)

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
I must admit I don't really get the arguments about the limits on cards in the expansion.

Cards are printed in large sheets. The set size is determined by the number of cards that can fit on a set number of sheets.

If you add more cards then you have to do it in multiples of the number that fit in a sheet or you are just wasting money.

So if each sheet has 50 cards on it (for arguments sake) then your set will be in multiples of 50 cards. If you add four cards to a set then it has to be printed on another sheet which would require you to either come up with 46 other cards (or card variants) to print or you lose money.

So if a set had 50 cards in it, printed on a single sheet, you'd either have to come up with 46 other cards and double your printing cost or take out 4 cards in order to maintain your budgeted printing cost.

Are you printing them in a automated process that doesn't allow for sorting of cards, or is very restricted in how they can be sorted? I'm just curious, because this logic implies that you need to fit each individual printing of a set onto it's own sheets without any overlap.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
I suspect that the cards are printed in sheets with x amount of cards. Each expansion uses x amount of full sheets per unit. If that is the case they would have to remove cards from the set to make room for the replacements or print a whole new sheet of cards which would definitely change the cost, probably change the release date, and possibly require new packaging.

If I am correct they will have to work them into future expansions based on all the above factors.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Wiz-Pig, Yes?
I'm sort of confused by the question.

It costs money and time to set up an offset press. You send one job that is a run of 10,000 all-inclusive sheets, rather than 50 different jobs that get run 2,000 sheets.

Each print sheet contains the whole set (or a well defined, predictable part of it) and then its all cut up and collated by machine.

There's no "Tanglevine" sheet with 50 tanglevines on it. Setting up the press is the major expense, and running it at high speed over and over again is what it's good at. So you set up a sheet with one of every card on it, and you run that sheet all day.

(Actually, for the base set, maybe you run one sheet with all the unique cards, and one sheet with all the cards included in the box twice, and you just run the latter sheet in print runs twice as large as the former.

So you have a single sheet with all the spells that are included in quadruplicate, and you run that sheet 4 times per boxed set you're making. Simplifying the collation probably saves AW money, too.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:45:00 PM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Wiz-Pig, Yes?
I'm sort of confused by the question.

It costs money and time to set up an offset press. You send one job that is a run of 10,000 all-inclusive sheets, rather than 50 different jobs that get run 2,000 sheets.

Each print sheet contains the whole set (or a well defined, predictable part of it) and then its all cut up and collated by machine.

There's no "Tanglevine" sheet with 50 tanglevines on it. Setting up the press is the major expense, and running it at high speed over and over again is what it's good at. So you set up a sheet with one of every card on it, and you run that sheet all day.

(Actually, for the base set, maybe you run one sheet with all the unique cards, and one sheet with all the cards included in the box twice, and you just run the latter sheet in print runs twice as large as the former.

So you have a single sheet with all the spells that are included in quadruplicate, and you run that sheet 4 times per boxed set you're making. Simplifying the collation probably saves AW money, too.)

I guess I wasn't assuming that they were running these with offset or machine collation (though I considered the possibility of the later). Digital printing has become quite commonplace and gets around a lot of these issues. The newer ones operate in a way that is similar to an offset press and gives the same quality of print or better with a lot less hassle. And of course you aren't paying for plates to be made.

If AW is using offset presses I completely understand the lack of flexibility.