April 27, 2024, 11:54:42 PM

Author Topic: Will the Errata for ToL, HoB, and Battlecry be implemented in new printings?  (Read 9374 times)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
I honestly don't know what printing techniques they're using, but even with a digital sheet fed press they would still want to simplify collating as much as possible, right? Repaginating a odd number of cards onto a looping print run sounds like a nightmare unless it could be done automatically or on a web fed press or something, and even then, sorting them could be a disaster.

I mean, does 10,000 copies sound about right for a print run of an expansion? More? They couldn't possibly do that by hand cheaply, even if they outsourced it to Mexico, could they?

I know that WotC (Magic the Gathering) used to get their printing done by Cartamundi and they had a rare sheet, an uncommon sheet, and a common sheet. Commons, at least, would be sorted into packs not completely randomly, but in pairs, so that any common was very likely to appear in a pack with either the common before it on the sheet, or the common after. This became such a part of high level tournament drafting that it was preserved when Wizards started selling digital packs for online play.

But the upshot of this was the same there as here, once the sheet is full, you cant print only one more card, you gotta print a multiple.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:16:24 PM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
What I didn't really get was the discussion - I don't really care if its done as part of an expansion or not.  I can get that once the print sheets are setup, they  don't want to change it. 

But saying can't be done doesn't seem to make sense. How are promo cards done?   Perhaps a minimum card set is more like 5 or 10, but that would still be a different discussion.

Essentially people are asking for a set of promo cards that are based on the errata'd ToL, HoB and Battle Fury.  If AW can produce them as singles for Dice Tower, why can't they produce them for us?  Feck it, heard of kickstarter?

Besides, this is all kinda off topic... every single frakin post, even my own! :) 

What I actually wanted to know was:

I assume that new print runs of boxes that have the TOL in them now, like the base game, and spell tombs will be updated to the new wording and if this will be marked on the box somehow.

The latter part is probably the main point, although it's redundant if there isn't a print run planned for like 2 years.

Your post does suggest  a reluctance to alter print sheets to accommodate the errata.  If AW continue to get  incorrect cards printed... now that would be annoying!

I must admit I don't really get the arguments about the limits on cards in the expansion.

Cards are printed in large sheets. The set size is determined by the number of cards that can fit on a set number of sheets.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
I mean, does 10,000 copies sound about right for a print run of an expansion? More? They couldn't possibly do that by hand cheaply, even if they outsourced it to Mexico, could they?

I suspect you're being a little enthusiastic.  There are 3,300 owners of Mage Wars on BGG. 400 people wanting it.  So you could estimate approximately 4000 BGG owners and some unknown (probably smaller) number of wider (real world) owners.... you'd be looking at 7-8k max I'd suspect.  I'm sure AW know how many they've sold, but either way expansion runs would nearly always be a smaller sample of the base game sales...

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Yeah, I do wonder what's up with promos. I assume all promos were printed on a single sheet, and are being released piecemeal. New printings with errata would have to wait till the next sheet of promos gets printed, perhaps far in the future.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Well, closer to 10k than 1k, anyway, as an order of magnitude estimate. I do wonder what percent of Mage Wars owners are on BGG. 50% sounds much too high to me, but I'm not in a good position to judge.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Well, closer to 10k than 1k, anyway, as an order of magnitude estimate. I do wonder what percent of Mage Wars owners are on BGG. 50% sounds much too high to me, but I'm not in a good position to judge.

Yeah, it'd be interesting to see a couple of industry sales figures for particular games to use as a benchmark estimate of BGG to rest of world ownership.  Say of a older historically popular game such as Settlers, and a couple of newer semi popular games like Carc, Dominion, Monopoly ;)

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Actually way off topic here, but answering my own question.

Settlers - in 2011 was approaching 25 million copies sold:  50,000 owners on BGG
Dominion - end of 2010 had exceeded 1 million copies sold: 38,000 owners on BGG.

I take it back, the BGG ownership is likely the smaller fraction :)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
It's interesting to see how much broader Settlers is than Dominion; likely because they sold in Barnes and Nobel and in malls. I expect Mage Wars would be even less broad than the other two, especially because BGG users are likely the hard core of early adopters and Mage Wars is so new. Still, 5% would be my guess.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Dominion is 4%, I think the points you raise would push more for the 20-50%....anyway, stop encouraging me to derail my thread! :)

It's interesting to see how much broader Settlers is than Dominion; likely because they sold in Barnes and Nobel and in malls. I expect Mage Wars would be even less broad than the other two, especially because BGG users are likely the hard core of early adopters and Mage Wars is so new. Still, 5% would be my guess.