May 02, 2024, 01:52:05 AM

Author Topic: A Mage Wars Mission  (Read 19700 times)

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: A Mage Wars Mission
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 12:15:18 PM »
Its my understanding another of the key differences is player elimination. In euro games players aren't eliminated. The game ends after x turns or some other condition and then the players count victory points to determine the winner.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:17:29 PM by Tacullu64 »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 01:00:53 PM »
I enjoy a good euro, matter in fact my favorite game before Mage Wars took the crown was Agricola. Very fine game, lots of resource management and board development needed to win the game (sounds like MW right).

My buddy I play with is a consummate Board Game collector, and the term we are discussing in modern terms are mostly non-derogatory. In the past 70's-80's games from this side of the pond were typically of poor design but high in quality for the game pieces (mostly) hence the term Ameri-trash. Good looking but not fun to play...

Euro are mostly resource management games with small amount of direct conflict with you opponents, which is typical of them, they are lovers not fighters(once again mostly), so Euro style game can also be used in a derogatory manner also....

just my 2 pence/pfennigs/pennies
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 02:16:09 PM »
There are websites dedicated to Ameritrash that use and own the term. Get to know the history an context before you get offended would be my suggestion.

I'd also recommend trying some Euros if you never have.  My view is that a good game is a good game. There are some that don't appeal on either side, but the great ones are great regardless of origin.

On the other hand, Ameritrash tends to be the games I'd be less likely to play at work, where the figurines and miniatures can create too many echoes of d&d and uber nerdism.. But what I do in the privacy of my own home is all good.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »
Just reviewing the link below (top 50 most purchased games) -While Mage Knight and Lords of Waterdeep are on there and Mage Wars isn't, neither is summoner wars.  It might just be that the two player card battle type game doesn't have the same love as some rule finicity never ended even when it should have 2 hours ago slog, or a geeky pasted theme on a light worker placement games ;)

As a mage wars fan I thought that this geeklist was a little sad.  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/160432/the-top-50-most-purchased-games-july-2013-edition/page/1?

I think it presents a different picture to the view in this thread that BGG is all about euro games.  A lot of the top 50 in this list are strongly thematic games.  There are a fair few cube pushers too, but I was disappointed over all to see that despite Mage Wars advancing in the rankings, its not even close to BGG recorded sales.

Diji

• Consummate Professional
  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 10:39:56 AM »
Yea, it's disappointing that we didn't make the top 50 list for July.

That said, I'm confident that this years GenCon will get this game in the hands of many new players and I'm excited about that.

Also, what a leap on BGG! I look away for one second and WE ASCEND FROM 35 TO 32! Like. A. Boss.

Oh, and here's the thing - why did the collective whole rest on AmeriTrash as a descriptive reference for board games in the first place? Even if its not meant to be malicious, if I called someone's mothers cooking MamaTrash (say it with a smile) then I don't know how anyone could take that as not offensive in a small way. Jussayn!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:42:23 AM by Dijirati »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
Yea, it's disappointing that we didn't make the top 50 list for July.

That said, I'm confident that this years GenCon will get this game in the hands of many new players and I'm excited about that.

Also, what a leap on BGG! I look away for one second and WE ASCEND FROM 35 TO 32! Like. A. Boss.

Oh, and here's the thing - why did the collective whole rest on AmeriTrash as a descriptive reference for board games in the first place? Even if its not meant to be malicious, if I called someone's mothers cooking MamaTrash (say it with a smile) then I don't know how anyone could take that as not offensive in a small way. Jussayn!

It is offensive in a small way. For me it's the type of thing I just get over. I don't like me when I'm angry. So I try to only get upset over the big things, and then I try to get over those as quick as possible.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 11:30:09 AM »
I thought some of the comments regarding the origins of the term here
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Ameritrash

Were interesting. Hadn't really thought about it as a spin off from the term eurotrash ...

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »
There are websites dedicated to Ameritrash that use and own the term. Get to know the history an context before you get offended would be my suggestion.

I'd also recommend trying some Euros if you never have.  My view is that a good game is a good game. There are some that don't appeal on either side, but the great ones are great regardless of origin.

On the other hand, Ameritrash tends to be the games I'd be less likely to play at work, where the figurines and miniatures can create too many echoes of d&d and uber nerdism.. But what I do in the privacy of my own home is all good.

The term "Ameritrash" is clearly meant to be pejorative.  Just because some gamers "use and own the term" doesn't mean it isn't an insult.  African American's use and own the N-word but that doesn't mean it isn't an insult when used against them. 

I think the Ameritrash term is crap and shows some sort of insecurity when used by "Euro-gamers".  Clearly some of these gamers have chip on their shoulder about certain types of games, but I honestly have no idea why.  There is some strange sort of contempt that goes with "American-style" games, even down to the components.  I've seen "Euro-gamers" rail against sculpted minis as if there is something wrong with them and only their precious meeples will do in a game.  While I'm the opposite and prefer mini's over meeples, I've never gotten myself worked up or disgusted over one vs the other.  It's just strange to me.

Personally I don't like Euro-games much.  I think they tend to be a bit dry and too mathy for my tastes, but they can be fun from time to time.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
I'm not a huge fan euro-games either, although I do like small world quite a bit.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 04:59:06 AM »

Who cares whether it be Ameritrash, Euro or Eurotrash.

If you like a game, play it and be proud!

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 05:12:14 AM »
I'm not a huge fan euro-games either, although I do like small world quite a bit.

Really?  Smallworld was a huge flop in my gaming group.  It was unique, but the gameplay was nothing short of yawn-worthy.

Not that all games need MW-like depth, but I can only laugh at Muddy Mudmen so many times.

heh-heh...damnit.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »

Just because there are people who own the term does not mean it is not offensive. The term is inherently offensive because of the word trash. I could make mention of other offensive words that are 'owned' by people  but I'm afraid that the mods would not appreciate my doing so. Futhermore, the origin of the term was intentionally derogatory, so I would appreciate it if you wouldn't tell me to learn the history before I get offended. I wasn't in fact offended at any rate, I was merely speaking to what I thought would or would not be an appropriate label. I am however a little preterbed about you telling me how I should react.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »

Really?  Smallworld was a huge flop in my gaming group.  It was unique, but the gameplay was nothing short of yawn-worthy.

Not that all games need MW-like depth, but I can only laugh at Muddy Mudmen so many times.

heh-heh...damnit.

I don't know how to explain it. It's not my type of game but I like it anyways. One of life's little mysteries I guess.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2013, 03:20:09 AM »
I didn't like Small World that much the first time I played it, but it's grown on me since I tried playing with more cutthroat players. Just because it has silly elements doesn't mean you can't play it as a highly tactical/strategic game. Since playing with the new group, I've been much more impressed with the game.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Diji

• Consummate Professional
  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2013, 06:07:50 AM »
Quick aside...

...If you haven't heard, Mage Wars successfully surpassed Lords of Waterdeep on BGG and is ranked 30th overall! In less than two months this community made it look EeeeeeZ!

It'll certainly be a difficult position to maintain but at this moment, today - Mage Wars Mission Accomplished!

Shout out the the Mage Wars community... lets go crack top 25. See you @ GenCon!