May 02, 2024, 06:45:20 AM

Author Topic: Sharing the set.  (Read 3104 times)

Myric

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Sharing the set.
« on: August 18, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
Hi everyone, I've been waiting to pick this game up forever, finally did, and absolutely love it. A problem I'm havign though is that with me as the only one of my friends who has the game, it seems difficult to share the cards well enough for everyone to have "even access to customization. I have the expansion and all tomes except the second one which is on order.

How do you all share the cards around? For instance I like to play the Joktairi beastmaster and there are a few specific cards I pull into that deck that other players would want.

At the moment I do a sort of "you take half and I'll take half" if there is a dispute but then its tricky if we want to switch over to another mage. Also it's tricky when I want to show a new person the game because I'm missing some cards to the starter decks and can't quite build them up.

What method do you guys use? do you keep a couple of "self made" starter decks around for new players? Buy more copies of the tomes? Something else? Thanks for the info, I'll probably be hanging out here a bunch, this game is super fun.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing the set.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 07:50:31 PM »
There is a thread on BGG talking about this also.  One suggestion was a drafting approach whenever there is a conflict it swaps and whoever's turn it is gets the contested card.

If you check the downloads there are new versions of the starter decks that can all be made up at once from the Core box.

In general the conclusion has been that you hope your friends buy a Core set also ;)

In many ways, specially with the alternate mages, you're never going to be able to cater to every eventuality with a single set - like Beastmaster vs  Johkari BM - I mean you know you want to try it out, but there just aren't enough cards...

The spell tombs are the most common approach from the sounds of it, but there are a couple of threads that suggest you get more cards overall, the extra markers etc with two Cores.

With the new 6 player mat coming out along with some other cool new toys, I'd suggest playing with the base set for a while, grab spell tomb 1 if you need some base cards and see where you get to...

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 08:41:52 PM »
You can use Proxies.......
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 11:27:48 PM »
We're way too new to the game to be satisfied with a little bit of white card saying 'x'.  We want to throw down the picture of them being electrocuted, smited etc...

But yeah.. I guess you could ;)

You can use Proxies.......

Myric

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:11:01 AM »
Proxies work but lack some pizaz, especially since I don't have a color printer, and I feel the art is really well done to turn the game so robotic. Also I don't know of a full picture database for the cards anyway. A second core set just seems like wasting too much, especially with an extra board and tokens. (I already use red and blue dice for damage and mana in place of the tokens, so more tokens are just gonna get tossed.

I guess I just feel like its a bad advantage when I have a deck built then someone comes over and starts to build from scratch and I've been looking at the cards for days. :)

The realistic pool of cards to pull from thins down pretty well though, considering things like how a warlock would probably never play giant wolf spider or a similar card. So it seems like after some play-throughs even a visiting player could put something together quick with a consistent strategy. I'll see what the second spell tome opens up once my game shop gets it in.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »
It hurts to hear someone tossing tokens. I have three core sets and haven't lost a piece. Lol