May 14, 2024, 05:58:59 PM

Author Topic: Akiro's Hammer vs. Druid  (Read 9332 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Akiro's Hammer vs. Druid
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »
I don't see Ballista as being overpowered because it is Zone Exclusive, so if the Warlord really wants to bring out more than one Ballista he is going to have to sacrifice playing many of his other Zone Exclusive conjurations in the center zones. Ballistas aren't even that difficult to destroy and they are only dangerous every other round. And even if Ballista is OP the Warlord needs to have some powerful cards considering he is the weakest mage at the moment.
"See you space cowboy..."

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 03:37:27 PM »
I don't see Ballista as being overpowered because it is Zone Exclusive, so if the Warlord really wants to bring out more than one Ballista he is going to have to sacrifice playing many of his other Zone Exclusive conjurations in the center zones. Ballistas aren't even that difficult to destroy and they are only dangerous every other round. And even if Ballista is OP the Warlord needs to have some powerful cards considering he is the weakest mage at the moment.

The problem isn't that the Warlord would be using multiple copies, it's that OTHER spellbooks would. Especially defensive builds. The Warlord does need help. Which is why I wish this was a War Mage only card.

8 mana for a ranged attack of 5 with piercing of 3 every other round... It's really really powerful in this state, and if kept this way, almost every spellbook would benefit by having at least 2 in it.

Charmyna and others have already had this discussion here http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12949.0 and agreed that it's overpowered in it's current state.

One ballista is only a minor threat since you can move into its zone to avoid its damage. But stacking ballistae really hurts - especially because of the nature of the ready marker mechanic. Therefore, a solution could be to change the ready marker mechanic for all conjurations (e.g. only one conjuration may be activated before or after a friendly creatures action phase).
If ballista is made unique (and no change to ready marker mechanic), this might not solve the problem forever. In a discussion with murphy yesterday he pointed out that at some point we might have a couple of really good conjurations that are all unique (e.g. Hand of Bimshalla, Temple of Light if there are more cheap temples in the future, Wizard Tower, Ballista). Even though these conjurations are unique they can stack with other unique conjurations leading to the same problem we started with.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:42:45 PM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:44:33 PM »
Don't forget that Warlord has Construction Yard now, too.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 07:16:03 PM »
A while back Shadow replied that the promo cards were for testing purposes but was correct by Patrick(I think) that they weren't being tested and were intended as final.

I believe I've read on the forum before that promo cards were the "finished" product, as in they won't be changed upon release. In fact it was specifically in reference to people pointing out the brokenness of Ballista iirc...

I really hope that's not the case. Otherwise every spellbook will probably run multiple copies. I don't suppose you have any idea where that was mentioned?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 07:19:40 PM »
I am firmly in Mr Saucys camp here. I have played them many times against Charmyna's multiple Wizard builds and if I was lucky I got to shoot each one once. You would be surprised at how quickly a fireball will burn one down.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 04:46:42 AM »
A while back Shadow replied that the promo cards were for testing purposes but was correct by Patrick(I think) that they weren't being tested and were intended as final.

I believe I've read on the forum before that promo cards were the "finished" product, as in they won't be changed upon release. In fact it was specifically in reference to people pointing out the brokenness of Ballista iirc...
I really hope that's not the case. Otherwise every spellbook will probably run multiple copies. I don't suppose you have any idea where that was mentioned?

I am familiar with the conversation being referenced, which would indicate that the promos will not be changed from their current state. However, I will also note that Galador WAS changed to include an additional subtype upon release. Such a change is minor, but it kind of shows that changes could happen.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:50:10 AM by Zuberi »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 10:11:09 AM »
Any card can have erratta, e.g. Hand of Bim-Shalla. My understanding is that Balista isn't more or less likely to change just because it was promo'd.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 11:05:23 AM »
That's probably the honest truth, ringkichard. My statement was mostly grasping at straws, lol.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »
I am glad you are all noticing the hammer now.

Yes it can do work against the Druid. When playtesting DvN we found that. In some builds the Druid must go after it before she can continue her game plan.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »

I am familiar with the conversation being referenced, which would indicate that the promos will not be changed from their current state. However, I will also note that Galador WAS changed to include an additional subtype upon release. Such a change is minor, but it kind of shows that changes could happen.

I already know the answer but can not comment either way.  :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage