April 29, 2024, 04:51:13 PM

Author Topic: List Your Favorite Mages  (Read 21020 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: List Your Favorite Mages
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 07:33:58 AM »
@Tacullu64

You would have to be correct first.  :lol: JK
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
1.  Wizard (love the versatility and his Shield is one of the best abilities in the game, plus Arcane is arguably the most useful school)

2. Priestess (love the control ability of this mage, love the powerful creatures)

3. Warlock (love the theme, love the look)

4. Beastmaster (solid all-around mage and I think a bit stronger than the Warlock but I don't like the theme/flavor as much)

5. Warlord (seems fun, but haven't had much chance to mess around with him much)

6. Forcemaster (pretty strong mage, but too one dimensional for my tastes, hopefully we don't see many more of these "one-trick pony" mages in the future)

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 10:49:13 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=10046
@Tacullu64

You would have to be correct first.  :lol: JK

If course, I am Tacullu, summoner of the Mind Benders. Did you really think your secrets safe from me? :cheer:

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »
I am a mod your mind trick do not work on me :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=10052
I am a mod your mind trick do not work on me :P

I foresee a planeswalkers Vs. Bolas future for you Shad0w.....We will snuff out your spark!

Do you know where you greatest of enemies lie, Darth?

It has been around since the dawn of time,
follows your loved ones, as well as mine,
can take the form of a mountain, as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.

Do you know where you greatest of enemies lie? Within Shad0w.-The first Dark Father of Random occurrences.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Snotwalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 12:03:30 PM »
1)  Warlock.  
2)  Priestess
3)  Beastmaster

As to the bottom 3, I don't really think I have a least favorite...  I really enjoy the dynamics and challenge of my top 3, so that's pretty easy to put them first.... But I also equally enjoy the Wizard, Warlord, and Forcemaster.

I think it's another confirmation of a great game where it's often hard to rank our favorite mages, and we're also seeing a lot of varying opinions as to the order.

shapeshifter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 05:27:18 AM »
1st Warlock:
I love all his abilities: The blood reaping Demon, The repeatable cursing, The relentless flame attacks both via a Wand and Lash. He is a force.
2nd Priestess
Setting up priests and temples for the divine Angels. Her cards are pretty to look at and fun to use. I find my set up forces aggression from my opponnent or feel holy wrath.
3rd Forcemaster
The scissors in a Rock paper scissors. I love the assasin style, fast and lethal with galvitar and defenses. Causing hysteria with Mind control and Charm along the way.
4th Wizard
The anti-mage mage, mana denial and metamagic can really mess up a less adaptable mage. Arcane school allows great toolbox options and utility
5th Beastmaster
Fun to play but I never feel comfortable playing a swarm plan, i feel they can be taken done quite easy with the right tools, but i do enjoy the enchantment and Pet buffs
6th Warlord
Mana and action intensive. Poor abilities; ive never got a Vet marker once in 5ish games with him. non-adjacency Outpost restriction plus triple cost Arcane is harsh.

I am so excited for the druid, It will likely take the nature school into a different root (pun)

rwould

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 07:59:31 AM »
1 Warlock
Versatile, probably the most aggressive caster.  And has a whip.
2 Wizard
Too flexible to ignore, can handlg any play style and can adjust to the enemy strategy.
3 Priestess
I love playing healers, only reason she is not in first is she can drag games out which makes it less fun for both players.
4 Force Mistress
Interesting but a bit too one dimensional at the moment.
5 Warlord
Least played with, just strikes me as a bit boring and does not appear to do anything particularly special.
6 Beastmaster
Weakest caster in my opinion, the swarm should not work if you have built a deck that can deal with it and any pther strategy other casters can do better.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
For those who do not want to know skip this post
[spoiler]1: FM / Wizard

2: Warlord

3: BM

4: Warlock

5: Priestess
[/spoiler]

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 11:07:28 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=10388
For those who do not want to know skip this post
[spoiler]1: FM / Wizard

2: Warlord

3: BM

4: Warlock

5: Priestess
[/spoiler]

So Shadow, how would you recommend playing the Warlord?  What openings or strategies have the playtesters had the most success with competitively?  

I don't think swarming is his go-to strategy against most mages; his Barracks, while a powerful channeling device, is highly vulnerable to the more aggressive mages.  It seems a lot better against control books which do not put on early pressure, especially since it can straight up channel 3 mana with very few action-strings attached.  Only the Priestess really competes for that kind of channeling on her spawnpoint.

I think the Warlord is best played if you open with Sir Corazin or Thorg plus a Butcher or Dwarf Kriegsbiel for an initial defense and THEN support those legends with a squad of smaller creatures.  Those legends are beefy and powerful enough to pretty much guarantee getting veteran status and are probably the best defenders in the game.

Is this your experience too or do you think his go-to competitive opening is different?
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 01:42:37 PM »
@ Red
That is for another thread ;)

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »
1. Warlord
2. Wizard
3. Forcemaster
4. Warlock
5. Beast Master
6. Priestess

I really LOVE the Warlord. I feel very adept at buying the time I need to get set up to the point where there's no stopping my freight train. Wizard is second simply because he's the anything mage, and I love the Voltaric Shield. FM is a beast, and while I might not always win I feel deadly the entire time and one slip on my opponent's part will result in defeat.

I've actually taken a shine to the Warlock. I'm not sure why. I guess I just do well with him and that's just about it =P

The Beast Master just seems to vulnerable to me to be fun. One AoE or some Sweep attacks devastate his creatures. As for the Priestess? I just don't find her fun, or the stategies I can think of for her to be exciting.

Xandrellas

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 11:52:43 PM »
With the # of people responding in this thread I love seeing that the numbers vary.

I've played FM, BM, Warlock and they're all pretty intoxicating.  So much skill at play.

FM seems to top my enjoyment list so far as I feel it fits my playstyle but I look forward to trying more.

Enjoying this thread too =)

malgor

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 02:54:12 AM »
1) warlock- love the theme and the imagery of having one mage out there alone.  and his style is great- pester the enemy with dot until you're built up-then go for the kill.  or, you can be hyper aggressive against a conjuration deck and keep them off balance.

2) priestess- i like the holy theme, healing etc.  The temple build is straightforward and feels constraining at first but mid-game you have a lot of opportunities for flexibility.  Also, her special ability of removing a condition is sooo goood.

3) Wizard- most spellbook flexibility, and he's all about reversals and turning the tide.  Voltaric shield is pretty handy.

4) beastmaster- straight forward but really shows the skill needed to properly execute an action economy advantage against competitive players.

5) forcemaster- haven't played with her much but i like her control style.  i don't think she's imbalanced, i just think she requires a high learning curve for BOTH players in a game to figure out.

6) warlord- have only played as him once.  i like the theme but don't like the lack of arcane spells.

admittedly, i've only played a decent amount of games with 1-3.  right now I am just loving that warlock curse deck, though sectarus isn't doing much for me so far.

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 08:57:58 AM »
1. Warlock
2.Priestess
3.Wizard
4.BeastMaster

i have not played forcemaster or warlord yet :) but as i see them they might go somewhere in the top 3.