April 29, 2024, 09:44:39 AM

Author Topic: Stupid Mage Wars Tricks  (Read 8256 times)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Stupid Mage Wars Tricks
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
I had a couple of combos occur to me, and I thought I'd share them with the community. Like the title says, these are stupid. They're amusing, but no one will ever confuse them for an efficient combo.

Hellfire Trap x6 + Teleport Trap x6
In a less balanced game, you'd be able to stack multiple Hellfire Traps in a single zone. Since we can't do that, we can do a similar thing: cast both a Hellfire Trap and a Teleport Trap on every zone available. Assuming that teleporting a creature to a new zone counts as "entering" that zone, you can set up a roller coaster of fire that dasy-chains from one zone into the next. When a creature enters the first zone, trigger both enchantments. Resolve the Hellfire first, then teleport the creature into the next zone, where two new traps are waiting.

Is this efficient? No. Is it amusing to bounce a mage (or other enemy creature) back and forth around the board dealing up to 6, 4 dice attacks? Yes. Add Mangler Caltrops for even less intelligent fun. And end in a poison gas cloud. Why not?

Enchanter's Ring + Decoy x6
Haven't wasted enough actions on the last combo? Try this one too!
Once a turn, Enchanter's Ring lets you spend one less manna to cast an enchantment on a friendly creature. So cast Decoy on yourself for only 1 manna. At a later date (for example, right before casting another decoy on yourself), reveal it for 2 manna. Net gain of 1 manna. This is actually not a completely stupid combo if you're going to have the Enchanter's ring out anyway (it's a good card!). If you're ever in a situation where your mage can't use up both his actions, you might as well meditate on a decoy to gain 1 manna, right?

Both of these combos could also be used with Fellella. She provides extra actions to make laying down all those traps somewhat less stupid, and though casting a decoy with Fellella prevents you from using the Enchanter's Ring, it does convert a little mana from your Familiar to mana for your Mage, which can be a useful one time tactic if you're 1 or 2 short on a big turn.

Got any other stupid combos?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Mage Wars Tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 03:38:39 AM »
Take a corner of the arena,(Or any zone with a arena wall) place a wall (Thorns or stone) on one side, and a inwards wall of pikes (Does not block LoS) on the other and keep pushing/teleporting the opponent in there. :silly:
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »
Use a battle forge to repeatedly swap out weapons. Mage staff to hit incorporeals! Sectarus to put curses! Lash to kill flyers! Who cares if its a horrendous waste of mana!

Put curses on your own Mage to serve as decoys. When your opponent throws a purge magic, laugh.

Put a reverse attack on a really weak creature like a Darkfenne bat. Wait for your opponent to put something really big on Guard. (like Thorg or an Iron Golem) Then hit it.

Put on a Dragonscale armor and an Elemental cloak. Then throw down a wall of fire. Walk through the wall of fire - JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN!

Summon Tarok, then cast eagle wings on the enemy creatures so that Tarok can kill them.

Kill an enemy creature by Force Holding it in a Poison Gas Cloud.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »
When playing Forcemaster vs Forcemaster, instead of useing my Galvatar I like to drop 22 mana on a Steal Equipment to take the opponents, since most FMs only run with one in their entire book.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »
Cast Harmonize on Battleforge then use it to swap out extra wands during the deploy step binding the spell you need that round for the same amount of mana it would cost your mage to change the bound spell while saving the action he would use.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »
Casting and revealing an enchantment on another target and using Shift Enchantment to put it on you so as to avoid the Mage Bind cost at the time of its reveal.