April 29, 2024, 07:13:13 AM

Author Topic: Quicksand - Not Really That Great  (Read 12498 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Quicksand - Not Really That Great
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
@Aarrow

Yes, you can just teleport out of it. Tanglevine restrains a creature. Restrained means that creature can't move on its turn. The creature can still be pushed or teleported. Interestingly enough, you can technically teleport a creature out of quicksand. Quicksand gives a creature the restrained trait (already discussed) and the unmovable trait, which just means it can't be pushed. Nothing says you can't teleport the creature.
"See you space cowboy..."

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 01:03:18 PM »
Teleport-You must pay at least 3 mana even if the target is teleported to the same zone. This does not count as a move action for the creature.

So its not free. Given the value of (X) I can see how you drew that conclusion...I was just confused on what you thought was zero mana.

And even then...how many teleports are a non-wizard deck going to have? And getting rid of one is a fair trade if you ask me.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 05:26:17 PM »
Quote from: "Aarrow" post=9717
For either Tanglevine or Quicksand-  Can't you just Teleport out of it for zero mana as a quick action?

It seems these restraining cards should be more powerful to be playable.  How are players getting usage out of these?

They are escapable like this because there is no way to counter them.. nullify doesnt stop conjurations like it does an enchantment such as enfeeble.  Because there is no way to counter them they are amazingly useful.  Sure he can weasle out, but youre making them spend time and effort into doing that.  I get great mileage out of tanglevine and run it in almost every book I build.

Because there is no outright counter, there is the extra escape option of the teleport.  If teleporting didnt get you out the ONLY possible escape would be attacking it, and in Quicksand that wouldnt even be an option.

Though honestly, Ill gladly burn one of my Tanglevines to make you burn your Teleports.  Especially if you are just porting to the same zone you were already tangled in anyway.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 05:27:53 PM »
Quote from: "MrSaucy" post=9726
@Aarrow

Yes, you can just teleport out of it. Tanglevine restrains a creature. Restrained means that creature can't move on its turn. The creature can still be pushed or teleported. Interestingly enough, you can technically teleport a creature out of quicksand. Quicksand gives a creature the restrained trait (already discussed) and the unmovable trait, which just means it can't be pushed. Nothing says you can't teleport the creature.

As of the errata I believe Tanglevine also grants "Immovable" as well now, so Push doesnt do anything.

Aarrow

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  I'll try using Tanglevines to combo some distance attacks.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 10:50:45 AM »
@baron Correct for 1 banana sticker - you can not push out of the vine
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
A creature that rolls to escape quicksand every round is most likely to take 2 rolls to escape.

That means that for 8 mana, you effectively Stun the creature for 2 rounds. That's pretty cost effective.

The only time Quicksand is non cost effective is if the creature escapes immediately (41% chance) or if it is Teleported out of quicksand immediately.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 01:40:08 AM »
Quick sands cost is 2X. So it kind of depends.
Within Shad0w.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 04:27:54 AM »
@DarthDadaD20

I think the cost for quicksand is pretty spectacular. I used it against a Hydra that cost my opponent 16 mana. I only had to pay 8 mana to render him useless! Pretty dang efficient if you ask me.
"See you space cowboy..."

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
Oh for sure! I love Quick sand, I was mostly just stating the cost, before anyone said, "Hey, quicksand isnt 8 mana!"  Anything to keep that Pet Grizzle Bear Enchanted with cheetah speed and Vampirism off of me is a good thing!
Within Shad0w.