April 29, 2024, 08:45:30 AM

Author Topic: How to use Goblin Builders  (Read 8914 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
How to use Goblin Builders
« on: March 23, 2013, 05:04:22 AM »
Goblin Builders. I don't understand the point of them.

Removing 1 damage from a conjuration is pretty much useless; by the time my Akiro's Hammer takes any damage, removing 1 damage isn't going to help much. I understand that they can also build stuff without it taking away an action from the Warlord, but this never seems to help me, and it doesn't help that they don't channel their own mana!

What am I missing about these guys? Are they terrible? Or am I just not using him correctly?
How do you guys use Goblin Builders? Building walls? Building outposts in enemy territory? Please explain.
"See you space cowboy..."

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: How to use Goblin Builders
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »
Quote from: "MrSaucy" post=9615
Goblin Builders. I don't understand the point of them.

Removing 1 damage from a conjuration is pretty much useless; by the time my Akiro's Hammer takes any damage, removing 1 damage isn't going to help much. I understand that they can also build stuff without it taking away an action from the Warlord, but this never seems to help me, and it doesn't help that they don't channel their own mana!

What am I missing about these guys? Are they terrible? Or am I just not using him correctly?
How do you guys use Goblin Builders? Building walls? Building outposts in enemy territory? Please explain.

I haven't used them yet, but when I saw them, my reaction was pretty much the same as your experience with them has seemed to be.  They seem very slow at building (too slow IMO) and they don't channel.  And yeah, I said pretty much the same thing about repairing conjurations, 1 point is nothing and a waste of an action for a creature that is already slow to do the things it does.  If it repaired like 2 dice worth of damage, that might be better, but one point is a joke.

I'd like to hear if anyone has had any success with these guys too, because I don't even feel like trying them.  Maybe they were over-nerfed right at the end of playtesting in fear of them being too strong or something.  Who knows.

malgor

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
they are only 5 a piece-seems like having 2 would be much better.  the warlord definitely has a strong fortification tendency-that's where they come in handy.  

if you are throwing some conjurations in an effort to win in the mid-game, don't go builders.  seem like a strategy for someone wanting to build up and sustain through end game

to answer your question I have not seen them used successfully, but then again i've never seen anyone use the warlord fort strategy very well.  i played warlord for the first time the other night and was unsuccessful. def did not build enough-did a little early then abandoned it.

mg

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
IMO they exist simply to provide an "action advantage" to the Warlord (or whatever mage is using them).  He needs to cast a lot of conjurations, they help him achieve that goal.
Si vis pacem para bellum

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »
Builders are an action advantage card, and they are also sturdy and harmless enough that they are rarely killed.

When the warlord is meleeing every turn he may run out of actions while building up mana. In that case, the builder can throw down Walls, caltrops, healing wells etc while the WL melees.

The repair function is very weak. I don't really use it.

shapeshifter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
Im intrigued by the builder alot. It does save actions to your mage, but sadly I find the Warlord a very mana hungry mage to take advantage of the extra action that is available. Unless you suppliment the warlord with 4 mana flowers to build every other turn (due to range limit, full action, zone exclusive) he is going to take a bit more skill to use efficiently.

One idea i plan to try out is adding him to a goblin swarm where he can support the swarm with a surprise "Garrison" or "Great Tree of Life" maybe even become a Standard Bearer.
Not tried it yet, nor have I found use for the standard bearer card either.

Saying this about mana flowers, swarms and tree of life; maybe a 1of builder for the beast master is an interesting inclusion.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:44:25 AM »
@paradox22   

I just never need him to cast conjurations. Turn 1, I cast my barracks. Turn 2, I cast two outposts. Later on, cast Akiro's Hammer. For me, I am usually done with conjurations by that point. I might summon a pikewall or two, but not always. I REALLY wish his repair was better. It should have been something like "Roll 2 dice. Remove however much you roll from target corporeal conjuration in the same zone." 1 stinking damage feels like a giant middle finger. Oh, you wanted to repair your trebuchet? Well, that is just too bad!

@shapeshifter

If you play the Warlord correctly, mana isn't a problem. Your barracks gets summoning +4 (just lay down harmonize and two outposts) which helps immensely. In my opinion, laying down mana flowers is a waste of time and momentum when you are the Warlord. Also, the Warlord has a lot of cheap but efficient spells. Look at his command incantations. Most of them are dirt cheap. 3 Mana for horn of gothos too! The only expensive things the Warlord has are his Akiro's Hammer and his higher level creatures.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:07:07 PM »
I think that they might be best used to protect the Barracks. Add a Fortified Position to the zone and then put two Builders there to help keep the 12pt Barracks in play. The other two Outposts are cheap enough to recast so they don't need the protection
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:05 PM »
I used the builder to wake up my sleeping orcs and goblin from mass sleep. He helped me finished the game or else the Forcemaster will finish me off. He has only 2 attack dice so it is okay to take a little bit of damage to be awaken from sleep.

He is also used to put up walls to trap my opponent at the corner with stone walls. So my tower with range can party.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 11:52:04 PM »
I assume Builders only heal 1 damage because they are non legendary... theoretically 4 of them can sit on a conjuration and keep 4 damage a turn off.  

Also, you can let a Builder finish off a weak creature and get them a Veteran Token which makes them a smidge more effective.

By and large though I think they are more novelty than anything else.  I was working on a "for fun" Warlock Demon build where I used a Builder to play Gate to Hell for me so that it could be cast and opened in the same round (both being full round actions).  Was more of a just for kicks thing though, nothing competitive or serious.

Snotwalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
Just to throw in my 2 cents, I found the Gob Builders to be rather helpful in my last game.  I was playing Warlord vs Forcemaster, and my poor Warlord was being force held on the far side of the board, unable to move... meanwhile, the Forcemaster was dancing around the other side of the board with my faithful minions.

Now I had the frustration of being out of range to cast any support and/or attack spells, and any new creatures I summoned to the arena would be starting far off from the "frontlines".  

Here come my Goblin Builders to the rescue.

Even though my Warlord was stuck, my Builders were still mobile, and able to bring out the outposts that enabled any new summoned creature from my Warlord to enter the arena closer to the battle...  They were also able to toss down some walls and caltrops in the battle.  Those little buggers were instrumental in keeping up the pressure on the Forcemaster and winning the battle while my Warlord was immobilized.

I'll always at least have one of those industrious little fellows in my spellbook.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 04:37:28 AM »
@Snotwalker   

Interesting case, but I am still not convinced Goblin Builders are worth it. I don't move around as the Warlord much, so if I was being force held in a corner I don't think I would really care. I play most of my games from the corner anyways, hiding behind my masses of troops.

Snotwalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
Quote from: "MrSaucy" post=9902
@Snotwalker   

Interesting case, but I am still not convinced Goblin Builders are worth it. I don't move around as the Warlord much, so if I was being force held in a corner I don't think I would really care. I play most of my games from the corner anyways, hiding behind my masses of troops.

I believe the deciding factor in my last example was that my Warlord was being slowly crushed to death by the Forcemaster, taking 2 damage every upkeep...  My time was running out, and I didn't have the luxury of hiding or slowly sending out newly summoned creatures for a long walk across the arena.  Having that Garrison Post on the other side of the board immediately bringing fresh troops into the thick of battle allowed me to overwhelm the Forcemaster's defenses.  If it wasn't for my ugly little Bob Villa building those posts, I would have run out of time.

Granted, the Builder won't come out every game, but I will always save room in my spellbook for 1 or 2.

Very situationally useful, but useful nonetheless.

Nitz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
It would seem to me that having at least one in your book would be worth it.  It's one more mana than a grunt, and the attack isn't that much worse.  If you are spamming grunts, he'll do almost as well.  Further, if you are boosting  your grunts, your boosts will help him as well.   To me, he's worth the inclusion for those rare times you might need him.  If you've got excess mana, or if you don't want/or can't  venture your mage to an area of the board, he can go and cast those caltrops, walls, or garrisons.  If you don't need him for, he's a card that stays in your spellbook or gets used in a pinch if you need more weenies.  1 extra mana for a cast and 1 less dice on attack seem worth his potential utility.  

would I include more than one... doubtful.  As others have said, multiple builders only seem good for their healing ability, which isn't that good.

shapeshifter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »
Quote from: "MrSaucy" post=9693
@shapeshifter

If you play the Warlord correctly, mana isn't a problem. Your barracks gets summoning +4 (just lay down harmonize and two outposts) which helps immensely. In my opinion, laying down mana flowers is a waste of time and momentum when you are the Warlord. Also, the Warlord has a lot of cheap but efficient spells. Look at his command incantations. Most of them are dirt cheap. 3 Mana for horn of gothos too! The only expensive things the Warlord has are his Akiro's Hammer and his higher level creatures.

The Barracks + 2 outposts + harmonize is a 24 mana investment that generates 4 mana a round and assuming none of it gets destroyed will break even in 6 rounds. I recognise the extra deployment action the barracks provides, but i believe there are alot of faster or controling matchups that will punish such a heavy investment (eg; A warlock can burn that barracks toast). I can see good matchups for this setup like a defensive Priestess or Forcemaster, but see more bad matchups than good.

So therefore I experience the warlord more mana hungry. I really dont see great value in the horn or Gothos equipment, it cost mana and carry slot to increase the mana cost of his orders to affect a 1-2 more creatures maybe? I want to like the card but I struggle to see it's hidden potential