April 24, 2024, 11:13:40 AM

Author Topic: Questions as they come up  (Read 6865 times)

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Questions as they come up
« on: March 22, 2013, 11:55:12 AM »
Alright, was playing and watching a few games last night and a couple questions came up that we needed answers to.

1. Does a face down enchantment retain its type? I know if you destroy a mage wand with an unrevealed spell, it's discarded facedown, but do things like that retain their types? Reason for asking: Warlock and curses. If a creature is destroyed before he reveals his curse on it, is he still able to bring it back?

2. Damage barriers. Odd situation occurred. Does a damage barrier take effect just before a mage dies? We had a mage attack another mage, triggering a damage barrier and the rolls say that both died, but does the attacked mage get that damage barrier off before he dies to make that possible?

Thank you for your time. -bows-

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Questions as they come up
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »
1. I am not 100% sure, sorry. I know nothing affects the game face down, but as for typing...
2. This is from the FAQ
Mage Death
Once a Mage dies, he cannot perform any further actions, pay mana costs, cast spells, make a counterstrike, etc.Any enchantments and equipment attached to himself is immediately destroyed. Other objects he controls in the game remain in play.

If a Mage dies, continue play until the end of that Phase (e.g. the Upkeep Phase, or the current creature's Action Phase.) If all remaining Mages die before the end of that Phase, the game is a draw.

So if the mage dies during the damage step (That is before the damage barrier step) I would say no.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=9570
1. I am not 100% sure, sorry. I know nothing affects the game face down, but as for typing...
2. This is from the FAQ
Mage Death
Once a Mage dies, he cannot perform any further actions, pay mana costs, cast spells, make a counterstrike, etc.Any enchantments and equipment attached to himself is immediately destroyed. Other objects he controls in the game remain in play.

If a Mage dies, continue play until the end of that Phase (e.g. the Upkeep Phase, or the current creature's Action Phase.) If all remaining Mages die before the end of that Phase, the game is a draw.

So if the mage dies during the damage step (That is before the damage barrier step) I would say no.

1. Well I was reading the faq entry on decoy, and how its effect does not apply if countered because it's never flipped face up, but if destroyed, it is revealed. This however does not answer anything about type, except that it may just be considered a blank card when unrevealed. So, unresolved as of yet.

2. Well I read that, but it's still a bit of a back and forth for me. It does say that if a mage dies, you continue play till the end of the phase, which would be the current creatures action phase, however it also says all equipment is immediately destroyed, which is how the damage barrier existed in this case. So now it becomes, does the damage barrier still apply at the time. Flavor wise, you're still hitting a pointy set of armor as you attempt to hit a mage, but game rule wise I have no idea.

3. A flavor question that has been bothering me. Earth Elemental's quake stomp. It is indicated as a 0-0 ranged attack, but can it really hit flying creatures?

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:44:58 PM »
Quote from: "Doma0997" post=9575
3. A flavor question that has been bothering me. Earth Elemental's quake stomp. It is indicated as a 0-0 ranged attack, but can it really hit flying creatures?

For Elemental Creature - the stomp must be so strong that rocks or stones from the ground actually flew that high to hit the flying creatures :)

I read this as: "A range is range.  And a range can hit flying creature. Except that a 0 zone 0 range mean that it only hits people in the same zone."

The Psylok of the Forcemaster is a 0-0 range flyer (critical hit).  <-- cool flying creature who never gets grounded because he always does a range attack. Only melee gets grounded.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »
Quote from: "dexmark" post=9583

For Elemental Creature - the stomp must be so strong that rocks or stones from the ground actually flew that high to hit the flying creatures :)

I read this as: "A range is range.  And a range can hit flying creature. Except that a 0 zone 0 range mean that it only hits people in the same zone."

The Psylok of the Forcemaster is a 0-0 range flyer (critical hit).  <-- cool flying creature who never gets grounded because he always does a range attack. Only melee gets grounded.

Alright, I'll take that. Kind of like, the attack dice are from a Hail of Stones type effect, and the effect die is an earthquake/hurl boulder type.

I know the first two questions are still foggy, but here's a quick question to aggravate another player. Teleport needs a target creature, and target zone. If LOS is blocked, then you can't proceed in that direction with the teleport, correct? So hypothetically speaking, if someone took the time to box you in with two-four walls of stone, you have to fight your way through them with no good way of escape?

Sorry for all the rules questions. I'm trying to popularize Mage Wars in my area, and if I get enough people I want to run a small tournament, so I need to be well versed in all of this. Also, I just really enjoy the game. It's become an addiction to me.

Alex319

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »
If the defending creature dies before the Damage Barrier Step, then the damage barrier will not be on the field to attack during that step, so no Damage Barrier attack will occur. This has nothing to do with the Mage Death rules; the same ruling will apply even if the defending creature was not a Mage.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 01:27:27 AM »
Quote from: "Doma0997" post=9590
I know the first two questions are still foggy, but here's a quick question to aggravate another player. Teleport needs a target creature, and target zone. If LOS is blocked, then you can't proceed in that direction with the teleport, correct? So hypothetically speaking, if someone took the time to box you in with two-four walls of stone, you have to fight your way through them with no good way of escape?

If you aren't playing as the Wizard, or Forcemaster then yes, there is no way of using teleport to escape.
However, the Wizard has Huggin who can cast Incantation spells, and the Forcemaster has Thoughtspores which can have an Incantation spell bound to it.  Both of them are flying, so they can see the entire board.
Of course a Blue Gremlin could also teleport through since it doesn't need line of sight.
Don't know if we'll ever see any other color of gremlin, or what their abilities might be though...

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »

Think of it as a Final Fantasy style attack. The elemental stomps the ground, and stones and cherry blossoms rain down from the sky hitting everything in the zone while a Moogle bounces up and down saying, "Kupo?"

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 08:15:18 PM »

im not sure what you mean by never gets grounded. a normal flying creature is only considered on the ground for the durration of the attack at which point he returns to flight, this is so things like counterstrikes can hit it.  it does not remain "grounded" simply from making a melee attack.  the only thing that really "grounds" a flyer is when it guards or when it is incapacited (knockdown, slam and such)  having said that i do love the psylock lol
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=9860

im not sure what you mean by never gets grounded. a normal flying creature is only considered on the ground for the durration of the attack at which point he returns to flight, this is so things like counterstrikes can hit it.  it does not remain "grounded" simply from making a melee attack.  the only thing that really "grounds" a flyer is when it guards or when it is incapacited (knockdown, slam and such)  having said that i do love the psylock lol

I believe he just means you can't counterstrike Psylock.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 03:53:15 AM »
well thats true.  i love the psylock, especially adding a hawkeye to him lol  3 attack dice, unavoidable, critical damage.  add a teleport to get him in to position and its time to party
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

diceman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 01:40:40 AM »
Since I don't want to spam new threads for new (probably) minor issues, I'm using this one. So, yesterday I worked through the rules once again, in order to iron out some issues that aren't still clear to me. It would be great of you guys to help me out (once more):  :)

1.) Does "Aegis" modify the Effect Die? I think it should, because on page 24 the rules speak of "any modifiers", not only the +element type:
Add or subtract all of these modifiers from the number of dice listed in the attack bar. Roll a number of dice equal to the final, modified attack value. If the attack has any possible additional effects listed in the attack bar (always shown as an additional effect box with a d12 icon), also roll the effect die at the same time, and add or subtract any modifiers to that roll.

2.) I may reveal hidden enchantments anywhere in between various steps of the Attack-Phase. But the rules also state, that revealed echantments won't have any impact to events, that took place, before that particular enchantment has been revealed. So, if for example my creature gets attacked and I choose to reveal a card like "Rhino Hide" or "Bull Endurance" on it, right after the dice have been rolled, but before step 4 (Damage and Effects) has been resolved, would those enchantments already modify the result of the attack? So, in other words, I look at the dice, and when I decide that the roll would kill me, I reveal those enchantments to instantly protect myself? Sounds kinda dubious ... ???

3.) The Warlocks "Curseweaving"-Ability: I may rescue a maximum of 1 Curse each round, that would otherwise have been destroyed along with its respective creature. Do I have to decide right away, after discarding the creature, to save that Curse, or may I wait if other Curses get destroyed as well and then, at the end of the round, decide which one I'm gonna save?

4.) The Priestess' "Restore"-Ability. No questions on the mechanic of this one, however, there's one aspect in the rules which made me frown (Page 33):
She can cast these spells as if the spell cards for them were always in her hand as part of her planned spells each round. Unlike a spell card, it is not “discarded” after it is cast. She can cast them again and again, as often as she is able.
What does that mean, actually? Is she allowed to target multiple creatures by using just one of her actions in one round? Or does the "again and again" refer to several rounds? So if she wanted to remove all conditions (more than 1) on herself AND on another creature (more than 1 condition), she actually needs 2 Full Actions?

Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:52:40 AM by diceman »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 02:26:08 AM »
1. No.

pg 40.

"Aegis X
All attacks made against this object subtract X attack dice before rolling.
Attacks cannot be reduced below 1 die. The Aegis trait does not stack or
combine with other Aegis traits. If an object acquires more than one Aegis
trait, use only the highest one. This trait cannot reduce an attack below one die."

Nowhere does it say to modify the effect die, just how many dice you roll for damage.

2. You can reveal Rhino Hide or Bull Endurance after the attack dice are rolled, but before the damage is applied. This is because the dice are rolled in step 3 of making an attack, but the damage and effects are only resolved in step 4 of making an attack, and you can reveal an enchantment at the end of any of the 8 steps of an attack.

See pg. 22 and pg. 19 in the Mage Wars Rulebook v2.0

3. You must choose immediately. It's a replacement effect. Instead of putting the curse in the discard, you get it back. If the creature is destroyed, the curse will go to the discard unless you use Curseweaving to save it.

4. It's just saying that she can cast it every round. It still takes an action to cast, and you can only cast one instance at a time. This means that you would need 2 full actions to remove all of the conditions from multiple creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

diceman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 02:48:33 AM »
Thanks! (Almost) everything like I expected it to work. :)
But I still somewhat disagree on "Aegis" not modifying the Effect-Die - what about the part in the rules (which I cited), where it says you gotta include ANY modifiers? And "Aegis" is clearly a modifier. It doesn't stack, so much is clear, but I don't see, how it shouldn't be included in the final calculation of the Effect-Die's result ...  ??? Citing the Codex doesn't help here, since the -2 on Defence when DAZED also applies on the Effect Die, although it's not quoted in the Codex (see page 30 "Brogan versus the Hydra"-Example).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:53:28 AM by diceman »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 02:55:05 AM »
The codex clearly states that Daze gives a -2 penalty to defense rolls, so I have no idea what you're talking about in that regard.

In the explanation of Aegis, it says that you roll fewer dice, not that it affects the effect die. Similarly, Melee +X lets you roll more dice, but does not affect the effect die.

You do need to include any modifiers to the effect die, but they need to be things that actually modify the effect die. Aegis does not. If you're not convinced, look at the FAQ pg 9. It gives a table of what modifies attack dice and the effect die. Aegis modifies attack dice but not the effect die.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster