April 19, 2024, 05:54:47 AM

Author Topic: How does magic work?  (Read 5174 times)

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How does magic work?
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
Random thought: is it explicitly intended (for backstory etc. as well as pragmatic gameplay) that Magewars takes place in a world of Vancian magic (i.e. the system best known from D+D, where mages 'memorise' a series of spells each with a distinctive power and then, once cast, are unable to cast them again until properly rested: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VancianMagic)?

Obviously it wouldn't be pure Vancian magic, as you need mana as well.

If so, is the idea that an individual Mage would be able to memorise any selection of spells he wanted for a given fight, and his spellbook represents his capacity to 'contain' certain spells, or does the spellbook represent the spells he's learnt through his studies? Either of these seem to be compatible with 'foreign' spells from strange schools being harder to have in the book. I prefer the latter aesthetically because it makes mages seem more personal/distinctive: although if someone is playing 'in character' as a named Mage but wants to keep swapping spells around, the former makes more sense. Obviously some combination is possible: a Mage could formally 'memorise' (or even just 'revise' the incantantations for) a different selection of spells from his total repertoire before each fight.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: How does magic work?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »
From the world of D&D/AD&D (only a 1st Ed player) I always took spell selection to include spell preparation (i.e. eye of newt etc.) along with prayer/mediation (Mage/Priest). So for Mage Wars the corollary could be the same in principal. The Mana recharge adds a bit of a twist though, as it not seen in the AD&D world.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:33:44 PM »
Yeah, the preparation outside of the arena is perhaps a more intuitive way to think about Vancian magic: you're just finishing off the longer rituals you started before.

Still means that mages walking around outside would be unable to cast magic they hadn't explicitly prepared for, though! Perhaps they always have a few wands stashed about their persons.

CaptainGeek

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
Q: How does magic work?
A: Very well, thank you.

(* hit cymbols *).