April 26, 2024, 01:58:14 AM

Author Topic: Magebane  (Read 3167 times)

DarkForceMaster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Magebane
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:44:47 PM »
When a Magebane'd opponent casts an enchantment spell face down, does he take damage?  Or wait until it's revealed?  If so, will he take damage from revealed enchantments which were placed face down before magebane was revealed?

Thanks!
Evil acts are committed every day,
So therefore the world is evil.
I would have to disagree.
Yes, the world may be filled to the brim with darkness,
But, if we try, with a smile or a hug,
We can light it up.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Magebane
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
The Magebane only takes effect when a spell is cast and resolved. When an enchantment is cast and placed face down on a target it triggers Magebane.  Revealing an enchantment is not casting a spell, so Magebane is not triggered.

Side note:  If the spell is countered, say by a Nullify or Jinx, the Magebane does not trigger. The spell has to successfully resolve.

diceman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
So, just to get my timing right on this:
When my opponent casts a spell, and I interrupt him directly after Step 1 (Cast Spell) or Step 2 (Counter Spell) and pay the Reveal Cost for "Magebane" on him, would he then take damage after Step 3 (Resolve Spell)? He can't take the spell back, once it's cast, can he? And Magebane only triggers after Step 3 has been resolved, as far as I know.
Thanks! :)

Apethemin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »
I would assume because you revealed Magebane after the spell was cast that he would not take damage to resolve it, because the card says Casts and resolves. The cast happens before magebane is in effect so the requirements for the damage aren't met that time.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »
I would assume because you revealed Magebane after the spell was cast that he would not take damage to resolve it, because the card says Casts and resolves. The cast happens before magebane is in effect so the requirements for the damage aren't met that time.

Correct both are required. MB see if the spell was cast and if it resolved if both are yes then it deals a point.

Apethemin you just got your first sticker
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:58:16 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage