March 29, 2024, 05:00:24 AM

Author Topic: Mage Play Styles  (Read 9580 times)

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
Mage Play Styles
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:15:55 AM »
Can someone who's played the various mages describe their play styles?  I know it's a customizable spell book, and you can make different builds, but what are the different styles of play for each mage as intended by the designers?
Si vis pacem para bellum

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Play Styles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:00:08 AM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=904
Can someone who's played the various mages describe their play styles?  I know it's a customizable spell book, and you can make different builds, but what are the different styles of play for each mage as intended by the designers?

Beastmaster - Swarm with smaller creature or one big creature every other turn.

Priestess - This should be the turtle build slow and steady. Most of her threats are in the 20 mana+ range
(Do not give her the time to build up or you will most likely run out of answers)

Warlock - Likes to get up close and set the enemy on fire. Favors melee with fewer creatures.

Wizard - The toolbox he is setup to do a lot of different things but no one thing better than anybody else. Also can dip into mana denial cheaper than anybody else.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
Thanks!  Regarding the priestess...  When you say her threats are in the 20+ mana range are you refering to her two named angel cards?  Those are her only 20+ mana creatures.  I would think some of her mid range creatures (gray angel, knight of westlock) could be fairly threatening as well, especially backed by all her healing .
Si vis pacem para bellum

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=916
Thanks!  Regarding the priestess...  When you say her threats are in the 20+ mana range are you refering to her two named angel cards?  Those are her only 20+ mana creatures.  I would think some of her mid range creatures (gray angel, knight of westlock) could be fairly threatening as well, especially backed by all her healing .

Those are her 20+ mana threats in the first set. We have looked at 1-2 other legendary angels during testing including 1 that had sweeping but did not make the first set.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Nikoli Ranvier

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »
Those are the angels at 20+ mana and yes her mid-range creatures, which if you look are her average, are very successful with proper healing. The priestess plays well by surviving at first since her spellbook is more costly to play, but with proper amounts of aegis and healing and utilizing guard to be advantageous, she becomes the most threatening mage to play against. This is a mage that benefits from mana crystals or flowers to have the mana per turn to cast a cost 12-13 creature to protect her while she offers them the same protection.
Shadow is correct on the other mages play styles too, but on the warlock and wizard, curses are also very handy intentional casts to force opponents to either face the action and mana cost to dispel or face the consequences of direct damage or slow. The beastmaster is also a master enchanter for buffing those creatures to be unstoppable! Have fun!

Alec

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »
I play a beast master rush that utilizes harmonize lair to pump out small monsters and fellela to buff those creature until I can summon the knockout(grizzly or Redclaw if my foxes and wolves survived)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 06:53:49 AM »
Quote from: "Nikoli Ranvier" post=928
Those are the angels at 20+ mana and yes her mid-range creatures, which if you look are her average, are very successful with proper healing. The priestess plays well by surviving at first since her spellbook is more costly to play, but with proper amounts of aegis and healing and utilizing guard to be advantageous, she becomes the most threatening mage to play against. This is a mage that benefits from mana crystals or flowers to have the mana per turn to cast a cost 12-13 creature to protect her while she offers them the same protection.
Shadow is correct on the other mages play styles too, but on the warlock and wizard, curses are also very handy intentional casts to force opponents to either face the action and mana cost to dispel or face the consequences of direct damage or slow. The beastmaster is also a master enchanter for buffing those creatures to be unstoppable! Have fun!

The reason I did not bring up warlock curse build was that the warlock sword did not make the first set. The sword in question will help you get out curse even faster but your still limited by your mana.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 06:39:10 AM »
I am really loving my Priestess! I drop my spawn point 1st turn pretty much every game, and usually a mana flower or a cleric. Brogan(sp?) is my favorite beastly character to lay waste to opponent's characters! I really love the Priestess' equip that allows her  to give an armor +1 token to a character within 1 square...makes your guys really hard to kill. :-P

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.