April 26, 2024, 04:10:26 PM

Author Topic: "Pure chess" Mage Wars  (Read 6587 times)

Skytale

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
"Pure chess" Mage Wars
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had thought about trying a "pure chess" (i.e. nonrandom) version of Mage Wars. Obviously, it would require a lot of changes, damage would be converted to an automatic 1 point per die with half of that (probably rounding up) being critical. Attack effects that use the effect die would have to go, or be replaced by an alternating counter that lets the effect land every other hit. The same is true for defenses. Inevitably, there would be some cards that just wouldn't work.

Still, I think it would be interesting. It would allow you to think further ahead.  Obviously, this would slow the game down and make it less casual, but it would also make the game even deeper and more analytical.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: "Pure chess" Mage Wars
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »
Thats a good idea! I never thought of static damage.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 02:20:17 AM »
The only real problem is it would make some cards less important, and what would you do about incorporeal?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Skytale

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:41:45 PM »
Yeah, it would definitely effect the balance of cards; a few would surely become nearly unplayable.

As for incorporeal, you could divide damage (from non-etherial attacks) by 3 and then round appropriately.

metadust

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
Would it be at all possible to convert number of attack dice strictly into damage dealt, even if you have guaranteed damage there is still random elements in doing more or less damage not allowing you the level of clairvoyance that is involved with chess.

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »
This game is already close to chess as it is :D but i see where you are headed, the only problem is some cards become useless. you could make a creature start up line , each mage starts with 3 creatures, one lvl 4 one lvl 3 and one lvl 2 and the mage ofc. and then just batle it out. with only that, no other spells or cards like a battle royale :P

auronvi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: \
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:28:47 PM »
I like the idea where you just start with a static list monsters and just battling it out. No new spells, just battle mechanics. So, like 3 level 1 creatures and 2 level 3 creatures and then maybe 4 levels worth the equipment on the mage and then you battle in pitched battle. It simplifies the game a bit, but it will probably play pretty quick. I want to try this out.
"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »
I like the idea where you just start with a static list monsters and just battling it out. No new spells, just battle mechanics. So, like 3 level 1 creatures and 2 level 3 creatures and then maybe 4 levels worth the equipment on the mage and then you battle in pitched battle. It simplifies the game a bit, but it will probably play pretty quick. I want to try this out.

That is pretty much what the D&D miniatures game was like.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 07:37:05 AM »
That would be kind of cool.  As in chess you have ALL your pieces out on the playing field at the beginning of the game, so that is the biggest difference.  It could work similar to how Summoner Wars works also I could see that being viable.

If you got X points to put X creatures/conjurations etc out in the arena and then went at it chess style that could be really fun.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

This is actually a lot like old school Warhammer. I find MW to be much more like a fantasy battle game in concept rather than Magic The Card Game, for example. If you consider a creature to be a 'regiment' it works similarly at a top line level. Army selection then Strategic planning and manoeuvring that is, rather than detailed combat mechanics.

In my book, that's a good thing.