April 27, 2024, 07:30:14 PM

Author Topic: Earthelemental  (Read 9995 times)

Aquila

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Earthelemental
« on: March 07, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
Hi everyone!
At first i must say that i've not played the Expansion yet! So correct me if i'm totaly wrong!
But this earthelemental looks a bit overpowerd for me....
omg 35 (!!!!) lifepoints, what the...
and this for 20 mana... much less than the Lord of Fire!!
When this creature gets summond it wreaks havock nasty!!
This creature is a superkiller, only can be avoided or banished!
Has anyone experience with it?
What are your opinions?
Thanks folks! :)

Hey_Daralon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Earthelemental
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
I fight it pretty often actually and it's not as tough as it looks as long as you prepare your deck for big creatures like this. His main weakness is that he is Slow and both of his attacks are full actions, so he can't hit you unless you end your turn in his zone. What I like to do is just wail on him with ranged attacks and then go in for the kill with a rush of melee attacks (I always save a backup Battle Fury just for cases like this), status effects also help, but they can be tough to land. Or least that's how you can fight him if he doesn't have any enchantments on him. Basically, it all comes down to how much dice you can pull together, it's going to be a real pain, yeah, but if you can pull it off, your opponent will be out 20 mana and that's a pretty big deal.

One time I just countered an Earth Elemental with an Earth Elemental of my own. I wouldn't particularly recommend that strategy, but it was pretty interesting to watch a huge rock monster slugfest take place.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:37:24 PM »
Things to remember about him
35 health with no armor isnt really as tough as it sounds.

Combine that with the fact he is non living which means
-cannot be healed/regenerated
-cannot be the target of most of the nature buffs (requires living target, so no bear strength, cheetah speed, regeneration, flying, evasive, etc) So he is very "as is".
-he does NOT have psychic immunity, which means he is subject to charms and mind controls

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
If you play correctly it is just a giant sand bag and should almost never get an attack in.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:10:47 AM »
You know when your walking at night, and you see someone head of you, and you start to get this "Gut feeling" that you should just cross the street? Yeah, just do that with earth elemental....just, go on and cross the street.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Aquila

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »
Haha :D
That's great! Cool metapher!
Maybe you're all right, and it just seemd stronger than it already is!

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 07:56:37 AM »
It would be horrible if you had more things to enchant it with.
Within Shad0w.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 01:51:30 AM »
I actually think he is pretty balanced.

Let's look at his pros. He has an attack that does 7 dice of damage, an area attack that does 3 dice of damage, tons of life, he is burnproof, he has lightning -2, he has tough -2, and he is unmovable.

Let's look at his cons. He costs 20 mana, which is pretty steep for the Warlord. He isn't a soldier, which means a lot of the Warlord's abilities don't apply to him. He is slow. He doesn't have any quick actions, which limits his attack options and doesn't give him the counterstrike ability when he guards. His area attack has absolutely no range and can harm his own troops. He has no armor and can't gain any armor. He is nonliving, so can't be the target of spells that require the target to be living. Finally, no psychic immunity.

>tl;dr

Earth Elemental doesn't seem OP to me at all, especially with all the ways to deal with powerful creatures. Just quicksand him, tanglevine him, banish him, or keep teleporting him away. It isn't like he is unstoppable. I actually find Iron Golem to be more playable in my games. Earth Elemental rarely lasts long because he becomes such a huge target.
"See you space cowboy..."

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:14:10 AM »
I actually think the Earth Elemental is quite poor tbh.  Both his attacks are full actions, and he's slow, so there's limited things you can do with him.  Good for tackling conjurations mind, but 20 mana on a conjuration killer isn't money well spent.
Give me the Iron Golem instead. He is a LOT better.  More bang for your buck, has a hard hitting quick attack, much cheaper, etc.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:39:40 AM »
Yeah, full round attacks make Earth Elemental not very good. Iorn Golem just outshines him, and 13 mana is a great price to pay for a beat stick. Even if he is slow.
Within Shad0w.

Snotwalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »
The Earth Elemental's best friend is a mage with a Wand/Teleport.  If you find you actually need your EE to move under it's own power, then you're probably not using it correctly.  Use your Quickcast to teleport the big guy into a target-rich zone and start the wompin' and a wallerin'!

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 03:04:43 PM »
The earth elemental is weaker than iron golems for a warlord because its too expensive for him to equip teleports and Mage wand, while he can use helm of command + charge on golems.

On the other hand, EE + Wizard is amazing. The ability to teleport into a zone and immediately hit for big damage plus high Slam chance... Really great.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 03:06:34 AM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=9831
The earth elemental is weaker than iron golems for a warlord because its too expensive for him to equip teleports and Mage wand, while he can use helm of command + charge on golems.

On the other hand, EE + Wizard is amazing. The ability to teleport into a zone and immediately hit for big damage plus high Slam chance... Really great.

agreed.  when i first saw the earth elemental in playtesting i immediately thought.....  earth wizard.

of course when he first came out he wasnt slow lol
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 04:00:12 AM »
I like Iron Golems for my Earth Wizard too, but Earth Elementals are better against Air Wizards and Priestesses, since it gets stunned less. Iron Golem is clearly the choice against the Forcemaster. I'll have to see which makes more sense in my other matchups.

Earth Elemental seem pretty worthless for a Warlord, but that doesn't mean it's a poor creature, it just means that the Warlord sucks at spamming Teleport.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 05:55:34 PM »
To me an Earth Elemental is a moving wall that has a passive attack trait (you move in it you get hindered and will get attacked).

Just use it to hide behind it for positioning.

- For 7 less mana you can go with the Iron Golem (which most mages run away from)

Honestly I played it and it:

- Got Quicksand
- Got Mind Controlled
- Was really slow

Overall I haven't really fully built a deck that had the EE as a centerpiece.