April 24, 2024, 08:34:32 PM

Author Topic: 1st & 2nd Edition Rulebook Differences  (Read 3952 times)

Cavie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
1st & 2nd Edition Rulebook Differences
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:01:58 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone knows the exactly what has changed from 1st edition rules to the 2nd edition.

I can see some of the obvious changes but don't want to print the entire 'new' rulebook if I don't have to.  At the same time I don't want to miss something.

Maybe the new edition will come in a future expansion but meanwhile does anyone know which pages have been altered?

FineThanks

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: 1st & 2nd Edition Rulebook Differences
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Yeah, it'd be really great to see a list of changes, even something like "topic X on page Y".

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »
Hello all, we are working on an exact list of changes.  Here is just a quick summary of the major differences in the game between 1st and 2nd printing:

The second printing of Mage Wars® is the same game, but we did make a few key improvements.  None of these affect current players – so no one needs to feel like they missed out on anything!

•   The wood cubes are now the correct color on the box back and in the rules now.
•   Game box back has been updated with fresh text, and internal sides now have artwork.
•   The rules got a facelift – we start the players off in Apprentice Mode, making it easier to get started right away using Apprentice spellbooks.  And we included a new Mage section at the end of the rules which explains all of their abilities in detail.  We made space for these items by cutting out the Walkthrough which is available online in a better format – as a full video!  The text and codex also received some minor tweaking and clarifications, but the rules are the same.  These new rules are available for download online.
•   We made some small adjustments in the rules here and there - cleaning up wording on guarding, codex, etc. Anything we tweaked here is also now in the new FAQ.
•   Also, we put the cards in a new order – so that they are in the exact order players need them in to immediately build their apprentice spellbooks and get started!

These new quick start rules with apprentice mode, and the cards being in the exact order, should completely alleviate initial setup time for new players and we're really happy with that.

Cavie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »
Thanks Arcanus,

This helps.  I've been doing a little comparing from book to book but with out reading it ALL and comparing it would still be nice to see the list you mentioned.  I have noticed the major differences - no walkthrough, and the more detailed section on the mages which is a nice improvement.