April 29, 2024, 09:50:24 AM

Author Topic: Card Upkeep & Mind Control  (Read 5688 times)

Diji

• Consummate Professional
  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
Card Upkeep & Mind Control
« on: March 03, 2013, 11:11:44 PM »
Hello All!

Im a fellow player and huge fan of the game; I registered a few hours ago and this is my first post. Real quick, I just wanted to say to the collective, everyone participating on these forums - you guys are awesome!! I've found many an answer scouring these proud walls of text.

So.... that said, I am unclear about a few things regarding general upkeep as it refers to cards that have the keyword. I do understand that you pay in mana the amount outlined on the card to maintain the spell, my question is can you opt to not pay upkeep in order to cancel any given spell requiring upkeep?

More specifically, if I cast Mind Control on a level 4 creature it will cost me a total of 10 mana (2 to place and 8 [2(4)] to reveal). It then will cost me 4 per round to maintain. Do I have to maintain the spell until Im on mage mana food stamps or will I just have to purposely cast dispel on myself?

And lastly, Mind Control states that you need to be within one orthogonal zone of the creature you are prepping to mind probe in order for the play to be valid. Once the spell has legally been resolved, in addition to upkeep, do you also have to maintain the distance of one zone in order to keep control of the creature?

thx
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Diji

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
Re: Card Upkeep & Mind Control
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:59:29 PM »
Maybe I should have posted this in rules. That's where all the action is...  :woohoo:

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:06:22 AM »
Quote from: "Dijirati" post=8566
Hello All!

Im a fellow player and huge fan of the game; I registered a few hours ago and this is my first post. Real quick, I just wanted to say to the collective, everyone participating on these forums - you guys are awesome!! I've found many an answer scouring these proud walls of text.

So.... that said, I am unclear about a few things regarding general upkeep as it refers to cards that have the keyword. I do understand that you pay in mana the amount outlined on the card to maintain the spell, my question is can you opt to not pay upkeep in order to cancel any given spell requiring upkeep?

More specifically, if I cast Mind Control on a level 4 creature it will cost me a total of 10 mana (2 to place and 8 [2(4)] to reveal). It then will cost me 4 per round to maintain. Do I have to maintain the spell until Im on mage mana food stamps or will I just have to purposely cast dispel on myself?

And lastly, Mind Control states that you need to be within one orthogonal zone of the creature you are prepping to mind probe in order for the play to be valid. Once the spell has legally been resolved, in addition to upkeep, do you also have to maintain the distance of one zone in order to keep control of the creature?

thx

Welcome to the Forums! I will say that so far this has been the nicest, grateful, and overall genuine of any forum I have been on. So far Mage Wars have attracted the nicest of fans!
To answer your questions.
No. You may chose to not pay upkeep and lose the spell at any time. All that will happen is the card will be destroyed or removed from the game.
As for Mind Control, In order to reveal it, the must be no further than one zone away from the Mind Control spell, and then you can move away. (The one zone away to reveal was put in place for game balance.)
Happy posting! :lol:
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 12:08:51 AM »
Quote from: "Dijirati" post=8571
Maybe I should have posted this in rules. That's where all the action is...  :woohoo:

You know....I only ever look at resent topics and nothing else!  :P
Within Shad0w.

Diji

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »
Cool. Thx for the welcome and the response.

Moodiz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 12:21:31 AM »
Quote from: "DarthDadaD20" post=8572
As for Mind Control, In order to reveal it, the must be no further than one zone away from the Mind Control spell, and then you can move away. (The one zone away to reveal was put in place for game balance.)

Oh no! Then I played it wrong all the time: To me it seemed also logical to maintain the maximum distance of one zone even after revealing, since controlling an enemy creature takes a lot of concentration effort for the Forcemaster...
Imagine me dragging my new Gorgon Archer after me with the Force Pull all the time...  :S
...but these days are over now!  :woohoo:

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 12:32:59 AM »
Your right that it would make a lot of sense Moodiz, that you would need to retain a sort of bond, but the card says to reveal as a condition, not to maintain.
Within Shad0w.