April 27, 2024, 01:24:36 PM

Author Topic: Dancing Scimitar  (Read 4089 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Dancing Scimitar
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:18:46 AM »
Played this Equipment yesterday, it is quite a card. I had a question about its Defense capability, since it is Autonomous, can its Defense capability be used to protect another Friendly creature in the same zone?

I see the FM looking around and seeing her Familiar is about to be attacked and she uses are Mind to command the Sword to protect it. My friend disagreed.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Dancing Scimitar
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »
Quote from: "sIKE" post=8460
Played this Equipment yesterday, it is quite a card. I had a question about its Defense capability, since it is Autonomous, can its Defense capability be used to protect another Friendly creature in the same zone?

I see the FM looking around and seeing her Familiar is about to be attacked and she uses are Mind to command the Sword to protect it. My friend disagreed.

I agree with your friend. The scimitar is equipped to your mage not the familiar. So far every thing that provides a defense is either equipped or attached the creature for whom the defense is provided. Having said that I'm not 100% sure, this could be the first card to break that trend, but the logic is sound.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »
The defense is for the mage it is attached to. :S
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
I was afraid that was going to be the answer but as always I like clarity. Autonomous it truely isn't.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

KosmosAlive

• Mage Wars Enthusiast
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The universe abounds with life, without a doubt.
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Zea - Project Website (Under Construction)
Re: Dancing Scimitar: When can it be used?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 03:18:20 PM »
I have a really burning question about the Dancing Scimitar:

When, once per round, may it's attack or defense be used? The card states "once per round," so does it mean I can use it during or even before Initiative? If not, I would suggest errata changing it to "once per actions phase" or "before or after any friendly creature's action phase."

Thank you!
--The Iron Legionnaire :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
-- Kosmos

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 03:20:31 PM »

When, once per round, may it's attack or defense be used? The card states "once per round," so does it mean I can use it during or even before Initiative? If not, I would suggest errata changing it to "once per actions phase" or "before or after any friendly creature's action phase."

Thank you!

I don't have it open right now, but I'm pretty sure the FAQ says "immediately after the mage's action" for using the Dancing Scimitar as an attack.  Of course, as a defense, it can be used when defending against any attack once per round.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »
Yes, it's used after the Mage's activation if you wish to attack with it.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »

Thank you!

I don't have it open right now, but I'm pretty sure the FAQ says "immediately after the mage's action" for using the Dancing Scimitar as an attack.  Of course, as a defense, it can be used when defending against any attack once per round.

It's not in the FAQ, it's a part of the Autonomous trait. The Dancing Scimitar has the Autonomous trait, and the Codex definition says that if Autonomous equipment has an attack, it can only be used once per round at the end of the Mage's action phase. The Dancing Scimitar effect text then modifies this by saying it can only use either the Defense or the Attack once per round, meaning that if you use the Defense you won't be able to use the attack and vice versa.

There is a lot more to the Autonomous trait as well. If you haven't familiarized yourself with it already, I recommend you do so before making use of the Scimitar. It's kind of a unique mechanic.

KosmosAlive

• Mage Wars Enthusiast
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The universe abounds with life, without a doubt.
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Zea - Project Website (Under Construction)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Thank you very much!

--The IronLegionniare ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
-- Kosmos