April 30, 2024, 03:11:55 AM

Author Topic: Best matchups using Apprentice spellbooks?  (Read 2040 times)

slouching

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Best matchups using Apprentice spellbooks?
« on: February 25, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
So have a few friends that are interested in playing and had a chance to play some games in Apprentice mode (as per the Ver. 2 PDF rules, using the spellbooks on Pg. 3) In the last game I was the Wiz and my friend used BM. When one of his creatures got a "weak" condition, he had no cards to "cure" it. He was annoyed, but the custom spellbooks will alleviate that obviously. Just curious if some of you veterans out there have some ideas about what are the BEST match-ups just using the Apprentice spellbooks?

Thanks

BlueByLiquid

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Best matchups using Apprentice spellbooks?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
I have played a lot of starter games getting people started and if people are familiar with similar games I recommend the priestess and the warlock or the warlock and the beastmasker. I think the wizard is a great way to overwhelm a new user and using him against a new player will frustrate them a lot as the wizard has so many mana drain spells which make it difficult for a new player to plan effectively. One might argue they need to learn that their plans need to change but I think the wizard forces it a bit more than would be enjoyable.

One problem with the Warlock vs the BM is that the BM can just get pummeled by the warlock unless they BM plays the card that give him flame -2. I always recommend they play that and I will never destroy it in an intro game as I think the warlock into book is very overpowered. In my experience for starter books the warlock and the priestess are the most powerful but that is just me.

As there aren't started books for the two new wizards I haven't played them in a apprentice mode yet. and to be honest I think the forcemaster would be at a significant disadvantage if they did have a mode for her.