April 28, 2024, 04:33:19 AM

Author Topic: TangleVine Attacks  (Read 4007 times)

slouching

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
TangleVine Attacks
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »
I realize that TangleVine prevents a "tangled" creature from hindering opponent's creatures, and that it does not prevent the creature who is "tangled" from attacking an opponent's creature in the same zone, but we had a "house" rule develop in my last game where if "tangled" a creature could only attack the tanglevine on an attack. The rational was if a creature was all tangled up, it had to attack the vine that was twisted all over it before it could begin to attack anything else. Just curious if anyone else has any "house" rules developed around this?

BlueByLiquid

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: TangleVine Attacks
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:54:56 PM »
Since you can just teleport yourself right out if tanglevine, even to the same zone I see little reason to ever attack it just keep an extra teleport around as its a great spell anyway

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:34:33 PM »
Quote from: "slouching" post=7917
I realize that TangleVine prevents a "tangled" creature from hindering opponent's creatures, and that it does not prevent the creature who is "tangled" from attacking an opponent's creature in the same zone, but we had a "house" rule develop in my last game where if "tangled" a creature could only attack the tanglevine on an attack. The rational was if a creature was all tangled up, it had to attack the vine that was twisted all over it before it could begin to attack anything else. Just curious if anyone else has any "house" rules developed around this?

The problem with some house rules like that is that cards are very much put at cost and level based on what they do.  This change for example makes Tanglevine an incredibly powerful level 1 card for 5 mana.  While the "flavor" could support it, the mechanics and balances have to be left in check.

Tanglevine-
Cannot be countered (nullify/block/dispel etc does nothing for conjurations)
Denys the ability to move
Deny's the ability to Hinder or really benefit from Guarding (other than counter strikeing)
Can run 6 copies in a book
Costs only 5 mana
Cannot be targeted by Ranged Attacks.
CAN be played on Mages. (this change would make it an absolute brickwall to some beatdown builds. to have 6 consecutive tanglevines making them unable to attack)

add to that the ability to also essentially be a Charm effect with no upkeep cost for at least 1-2 rounds and it becomes a very top heavy for its costs.

So, I am always leery about house rules on these sorts of games personally.  Especially ones where a lot of math and playtesting goes into why cards are set at certain costs, levels and abilities.  Sometimes what appears to be a small change can greatly over power a card, or even under power a card.

slouching

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »
Quote from: "baronzaltor" post=7923

So, I am always leery about house rules on these sorts of games personally.  Especially ones where a lot of math and playtesting goes into why cards are set at certain costs, levels and abilities.  Sometimes what appears to be a small change can greatly over power a card, or even under power a card.

Point Taken!

Thanks for the feedback.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 11:27:56 AM »
I mean, if you enjoy it and it helps emersion to favor flavor over mechanics then by all means do what you're doing!

I have been unfortunately ruined by organized play, league and tournament settings where things are a bit more inflexible.

I just wanted to toss that out there though.

slouching

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
Yeah I agree with your point about all the playtesting and balance. Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in a game and forget how much is put into the playtesting/balancing of a game. The folks who did all that had to have considered my point, and found that it was more balanced to allow the "tangled" creature to be able to attack other creatures.

Thanks