April 28, 2024, 09:58:54 AM

Author Topic: Jinx versus Nullify  (Read 4995 times)

bleakhouse

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Jinx versus Nullify
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »
The Wizard has previously placed two hidden enchantments - Jinx on the Beastmaster and Nullify on himself. The Beastmaster then casts a Dissolve quick spell on the Wizard. What happens if the Wizard activates both enchantments or does he need to? I am assuming if the Wizard activates both enchantments in the counter spell step, the Nullify destroys the Dissolve before Jinx can return it to the Beastmaster's spell book. Is this correct or does one take precedence over the other? Can the Wizard save one of the spells?
(I guess the proper strategy would be for the Wizard to let the Jinx fizzle and to only activate the Nullify.)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

bleakhouse

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Jinx versus Nullify
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:05 PM »
Thank you Shad0w for your response but I am not permitted to see the last two links you provided. What is the problem here?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 03:54:01 PM »
I asked pixel the links seem broke.

I posted in those several times now I can not get in.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 07:02:15 AM »
Quote from: "bleakhouse" post=7439
The Wizard has previously placed two hidden enchantments - Jinx on the Beastmaster and Nullify on himself. The Beastmaster then casts a Dissolve quick spell on the Wizard. What happens if the Wizard activates both enchantments or does he need to? I am assuming if the Wizard activates both enchantments in the counter spell step, the Nullify destroys the Dissolve before Jinx can return it to the Beastmaster's spell book. Is this correct or does one take precedence over the other? Can the Wizard save one of the spells?
(I guess the proper strategy would be for the Wizard to let the Jinx fizzle and to only activate the Nullify.)

Although it seems you are in the process of getting an official answer, looks like there are some issues, but would this not be a case of both are revealed, and you can choose which one to pay for (or both, or neither)?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
The 2.0 rule book got posted today. I have not had a chance to look it over yet but it may have the answer.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 05:32:46 PM »
I don't see anything different in the V2 rulebook. The Spell Cast Sequence says this:
1) Cast Spell: Announce what you are casting and what the target is. Pay the costs required to cast the spell.
2) Counter Spell: Once the spell has been cast, your opponent has the chance to counter it.
3) Resolve Spell: At this point, the spell takes effect.

Both Jinx and Nullify say that they work during the Counter Spell step. They are both mandatory reveals. Therefore, you are forced to reveal both of them at the same time. You have the choice to pay the mana cost of one or the other, then discard the unused one. (This is the same as having a nullify and a reflect on the same guy)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=2811
That is correct Kamishev.  Both trigger, but you can choose which one to pay the reveal cost of, and let the other just be canceled.