April 28, 2024, 04:35:27 AM

Author Topic: Combat Sequence and Death  (Read 2666 times)

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Combat Sequence and Death
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »
Had something come up and made me wonder..

My beloved Necropian Vampiress was guarding.
The attack was enough damage to kill her.

Does she get removed from the table and the sequence end when she takes her 14th damage?

Or, Does she still get to take her counter attack before leaving the table?

In the case of this specific creature, if her counterattack does enough damage she might actually heal herself enough to not die.

We presumed that she died before the counterattack, but was wondering if guards still get to counter even if they take a fatal amount of damage.

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Sequence and Death
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:17 AM »
I know this has been covered before, but yes, a creature dies as soon as its damage is greater than or equal to its life.
Mage Wars was made to be as realistic as possible, and it would make no sense for a creature to be able to counter attack if it was dead.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »
The way I understand it, attack validity is re-evaluated in between each of the 8 steps of an attack action. Therefore, if the attacker or the target dies during any of the 8 steps of an attack, the rest of the steps are canceled.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 06:35:43 AM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=7360
The way I understand it, attack validity is re-evaluated in between each of the 8 steps of an attack action. Therefore, if the attacker or the target dies during any of the 8 steps of an attack, the rest of the steps are canceled.
And this is why Divine Intervention is WAY better than I first thought it was...  "Oooo, that attack looks bad - boing, off I go"