April 29, 2024, 03:43:25 AM

Author Topic: Sectarus clarification  (Read 13031 times)

Goreshde

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Sectarus clarification
« on: February 08, 2013, 12:56:49 AM »
I want to make sure I understand Sectarus the new Warlock familiar sword spoiled on facebook.

"If this mage attacka and damages a create with Sectarus, he my immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action"

So the spell the it due to being a familiar it can only be cast once the warlock damages a creature, and that is the only spell you can cast.  Right?

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Sectarus clarification
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:03:35 AM »
Correct, you have to hit first and then you can only cast the spell bound to the weapon.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:38:37 AM »
Quote from: "HeatStryke" post=7272
Correct, you have to hit first and then you can only cast the spell bound to the weapon.

Sorry?  Bound to the weapon?
I made the assumption that it would work just like other familiars and spawn points, in that you place a spell next to it during your planning phase IN ADDITION to the two you choose for yourself, and it's that that can be cast.
Or do you fish it directly from your spell book?  My feeling is probably the latter, as it's entirely possible to have two attacks using that weapon, and nothing on it states it can only be cast once per turn....

I actualy don't think it's quite as clear as youre making out  :)

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:09:38 AM »
The first sentence reads.

"Sectarus is a non-creature familar, which can ce used to cast only curse enchantments."

I would say this means exactly what it says, sectarus follows the familiar rules as explained in the rule book being able to cast but not reveal curse enchantments.

The second sentence reads.

"If this mage attacks and damages a creature with Sectarus, he may immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action."

To me this is saying that if there is a spell attached to Sectarus the mage may cast it as a free action. The only benefit is the free action, which is a big benefit. I don't see where it says the mage may search his spellbook for a curse enchantment and play it on the creature, which is probably close to how they would have worded it if that was their intention. Since the card says the mage cast the spell I don't think he can even use the mana that Sectarus has channeled.

That is how I interpret the card.

Master Ruprecht

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »
I completely agree with Tacullu64 in this, even though I suspect some erratum saying you can use the mana on Sectarus to reveal the curse (if you do so instantly).

And I do not see yet how you should be able to attack twice in one turn?! Your mage has his normal action and a quickcast action, so that would allow only one attack. Maybe I forget (or do not know yet) some sort of speed spell, but for now I do not think it possible.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:27:52 AM »
Quote from: "Master Ruprecht" post=7282
I completely agree with Tacullu64 in this, even though I suspect some erratum saying you can use the mana on Sectarus to reveal the curse (if you do so instantly).

And I do not see yet how you should be able to attack twice in one turn?! Your mage has his normal action and a quickcast action, so that would allow only one attack. Maybe I forget (or do not know yet) some sort of speed spell, but for now I do not think it possible.

Battle Fury cast on the warlock would give him a second attack immediately following his first one.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=7279

"Sectarus is a non-creature familar, which can ce used to cast only curse enchantments."

I would say this means exactly what it says, sectarus follows the familiar rules as explained in the rule book being able to cast but not reveal curse enchantments.

"If this mage attacks and damages a creature with Sectarus, he may immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action."

To me this is saying that if there is a spell attached to Sectarus the mage may cast it as a free action. The only benefit is the free action, which is a big benefit. I don't see where it says the mage may search his spellbook for a curse enchantment and play it on the creature, which is probably close to how they would have worded it if that was their intention. Since the card says the mage cast the spell I don't think he can even use the mana that Sectarus has channeled.

I think you missed my point. WHEN and WHERE is this spell coming from. In my mind, it would be selected during the planning phase, alongside your 2 usual planned spells, just as a spawn point/familiar spell is, and placed alongside it. However, you seem to be implying some kind of 'spell bind'.

For what it's worth, I can't see there ever being an errata allowing you to pay the reveal cost either - otherwise familiars etc will also need to be changed.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »
Quote from: "Sausageman" post=7300
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=7279

I think you missed my point. WHEN and WHERE is this spell coming from. In my mind, it would be selected during the planning phase, alongside your 2 usual planned spells, just as a spawn point/familiar spell is, and placed alongside it. However, you seem to be implying some kind of 'spell bind'.

For what it's worth, I can't see there ever being an errata allowing you to pay the reveal cost either - otherwise familiars etc will also need to be changed.

Perhaps the word attached was poorly chosen. I do not think there is any sort if binding going on with this card. I think the spell is chosen like a spell for a spawnpoint or familiar that cast spells and then returned to the spellbook if it is not used that turn.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 05:02:45 PM »
Okay, okay. I was thinking about the wrong version of the weapon (originaly it was like mage wand).

Being it's a familiar you can cast spells through it in the same way as any familiar, with the caveat that you have to deal damage first.

This is what I get for making quick replies before bed...

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 02:03:56 PM »
The way I'm reading the card (based purely on the FB preview) is this:

1) Sectarus is a familiar. Therefore it can prepare a spell during the planning phase, just like a Huginn or Felella.

2) Sectarus is not a creature. Therefore it does not get an action marker and cannot cast spells using normal spellcasting mechanics. It is also not a Spawnpoint, so it cannot cast spells during the Deployment phase.

3) Sectarus has special wording that allows it to cast a spell as a free action. The way I am reading the card text is that after the Mage attacks and damages a creature with Sectarus, Sectarus can immediately cast the prepared spell on the creature as a free action. This would allow Sectarus to use the mana that it generates from Channeling.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=7359

1) Sectarus is a familiar. Therefore it can prepare a spell during the planning phase, just like a Huginn or Felella.

2) Sectarus is not a creature. Therefore it does not get an action marker and cannot cast spells using normal spellcasting mechanics. It is also not a Spawnpoint, so it cannot cast spells during the Deployment phase.

3) Sectarus has special wording that allows it to cast a spell as a free action. The way I am reading the card text is that after the Mage attacks and damages a creature with Sectarus, Sectarus can immediately cast the prepared spell on the creature as a free action. This would allow Sectarus to use the mana that it generates from Channeling.

In regards to your #3 above. That is an elegant interpretation and I hope we get an official ruling confirming that is the way it was meant to work, unfortunately I don't get that from the text of the card. The card references the mage and then says he may cast the spell as a free action.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 03:31:29 PM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=7364
In regards to your #3 above. That is an elegant interpretation and I hope we get an official ruling confirming that is the way it was meant to work, unfortunately I don't get that from the text of the card. The card references the mage and then says he may cast the spell as a free action.

The card wording is a classic case of pronoun confusion. It says that "he" may cast the spell as a free action. Is the Mage a "he"? (what if there was a female Necromancer?) Is Sectarus a "he"? (surely weapons can be anthropomorphized)

It actually makes a pretty big difference whether the curse is cast by the mage or by Sectarus:
- There's the aforementioned Channeling question.
- The mage could be affected by Jinx, Magebane, Gate to Voltari, etc. Sectarus can't.
- Reflect Magic couldn't reflect the curse back at Sectarus. (it would simply be an expensive Nullify)

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=7366
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=7364

The card wording is a classic case of pronoun confusion. It says that "he" may cast the spell as a free action. Is the Mage a "he"? (what if there was a female Necromancer?) Is Sectarus a "he"? (surely weapons can be anthropomorphized)

It actually makes a pretty big difference whether the curse is cast by the mage or by Sectarus:
- There's the aforementioned Channeling question.
- The mage could be affected by Jinx, Magebane, Gate to Voltari, etc. Sectarus can't.
- Reflect Magic couldn't reflect the curse back at Sectarus. (it would simply be an expensive Nullify)

I agree with everything you say here. All that would be required to validate your interpretation is changing "he" to Sectarus in that last sentence.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 07:44:27 AM »

This was my interpretation too (after some head scratching).
The only thing I'm not sure about is what if the Mage makes 2 attacks and inflicts two lots of damage.  Can I, assuming I attached a curse after the first attack, attach a second curse to the target?  Or does the fact that there would no longer be a chosen curse enchantment sat on the weapon preclude that 2nd casting?

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
Quote from: "Sausageman" post=7389

This was my interpretation too (after some head scratching).
The only thing I'm not sure about is what if the Mage makes 2 attacks and inflicts two lots of damage.  Can I, assuming I attached a curse after the first attack, attach a second curse to the target?  Or does the fact that there would no longer be a chosen curse enchantment sat on the weapon preclude that 2nd casting?

I would assume the latter since I have no idea how Sectarus is going to get a second curse spell to cast. There isn't any text on the card explaining how sectarus would get a second spell. I am surprised we haven't got an official ruling from AW yet since that same question popped up on Facebook the day Sectarus was spoiled. Hopefully we will hear from them soon.