April 19, 2024, 05:45:18 AM

Author Topic: 4 hour + game!  (Read 4588 times)

Badmojojojo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
4 hour + game!
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:26:15 AM »
Yesterday, before the Superbowl started, my friend and I played  game with the Beastmaster vs Wizard using the updated starting recommended spell books.  This was our third game.  He got his lair out and started swarming me fast with birds and foxes and that damn ferret.  I had 1 poison gas cloud and I kept teleporting his animals and him into the gas cloud with a mage wand.  My other hand held an elemental wand with Thunderbolt for damage.  4 hours later he retreated to heal and rebuild his army leaving me with still 2 animals to hinder me.  We called a stalemate so we could watch the game.

For his side what spells should the Beastmaster take out and add to better a swarm style?  He said he wants more control, but won't that diminish his army?

For Wizard, what spells should I adjust for more control?  I think I need walls and bigger damage options?  Is there a way to get an 8-9 dice attack?

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: 4 hour + game!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »
Quote from: "Badmojojojo" post=7067
For Wizard, what spells should I adjust for more control?  I think I need walls and bigger damage options?  Is there a way to get an 8-9 dice attack?

Plenty. With walls, I can't think of any without convoluted methods (like a Jet Stream plus successful push through a wall) - I actually highly rate the Wall of Thorns for damage. Against an unarmed Mage is devastating. In fact, I got a kill when on the ropes using this tactic: quick cast a Jet Stream for 2 dice damage, push was successful and moved him through the Wall of Thorns for a further 10 dice of damage (five lots of 2 dice). And then as my action I repeated it and killed him ;) And remember, pushing them into the arena walls do 3 dice damage when pushed into them. Oh, and teleport trap/hellfire trap trigger when you push an opponent into them too ;)

As for bolstering damage options, there are attack spells (fire and lightning being the heaviest damage options currently). Add Hawkeye and applicable 'plus damage' ring for two extra dice.  As for creatures, many of the Arcane school creatures are worth a go, and pretty dangerous to boot.

jcox2820

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »
Quote from: "Sausageman" post=7069
Quote from: "Badmojojojo" post=7067

Plenty. With walls, I can't think of any without convoluted methods (like a Jet Stream plus successful push through a wall) - I actually highly rate the Wall of Thorns for damage. Against an unarmed Mage is devastating. In fact, I got a kill when on the ropes using this tactic: quick cast a Jet Stream for 2 dice damage, push was successful and moved him through the Wall of Thorns for a further 10 dice of damage (five lots of 2 dice). And then as my action I repeated it and killed him ;) And remember, pushing them into the arena walls do 3 dice damage when pushed into them. Oh, and teleport trap/hellfire trap trigger when you push an opponent into them too ;)

As for bolstering damage options, there are attack spells (fire and lightning being the heaviest damage options currently). Add Hawkeye and applicable 'plus damage' ring for two extra dice.  As for creatures, many of the Arcane school creatures are worth a go, and pretty dangerous to boot.

For Beastmaster, I am fond of getting my gate out and increasing it's channling. This brings it up to 3, which makes foxes cost only 2 mana. Make a fox your pet, give it bear strength, get it in the same square as Beastmaster and Redclaw, and watch your opponent develop an irrational fear of small canines.

cchilds

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »
For the Wizard, Electrify is a great way to deal with a swarm attack. Also, placing the Idol of Pestilence will take the focus off your mage and play havoc with all the Beastmaster's creatures.

For the Beastmaster, use knockdown as a quick cast to keep the Wizard from being able to move or attack. Tanglevine is also nice to slow down the Wizard or at least force him to use his teleports on himself.