April 29, 2024, 12:03:29 AM

Author Topic: BashCon 2013 Event Discussion Thread  (Read 13894 times)

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
BashCon 2013 Event Discussion Thread
« on: January 23, 2013, 04:28:49 AM »
According to the newsletter Bashcon will host the very first official Mage Wars tournament!  Exciting!  Any of you forum dwellers making the trip?   :)  I'd like to, but it's a 10 hour drive for me...still undecided.
Si vis pacem para bellum

residualshade

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: BASHCON?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:16:17 AM »
i wish. i live in texas so the trip is out of my reach.

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:35:39 PM »
I will be, scooping up a bunch of my friends from Pittsburgh and we're headed out!

Are the actual mage wars guys going to be there?

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »
Is there someone that would be so kind as to forward the email to me? I just realized I'm not signed up for the organized play emails :(.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
BashCon 2013 Event Discussion Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:37:38 PM »
I know my team and the AW team will be going. I should be down on Friday (work permitting or Saturday). I do not know if any of the other teams will be attending.

BTW this is the link to the OP page http://magewars.com/jsite/organized-play

This is the Mage Wars Bash con event page

For those too lazy to follow the link.
[spoiler] OFFICIAL Mage Wars tournament hosted by Arcane Wonders. Players will register in five 90-minute rounds of swiss-style competition to see who will be the Champion of the Arena. Prizes for the top players TBD. Requirements in complete description.

OFFICIAL Mage Wars tournament hosted by Arcane Wonders.  Players will register in five* 90-minute rounds of swiss-style competition to see who will be the Champion of the Arena.  Prizes for the top players TBD.

To be eligible for the tournament, players must have created a 120-point spellbook for the Beastmaster, Priestess, Warlock, or Wizard, using spells from the Mage Wars Core Set, Core Spell Tome 1, and Core Spell Tome 2.

Players may use promotional cards if they are represented in the sets listed above.  Tournament rules, objectives, and FAQ will be posted soon.  Tune into www.magewars.com for more information.

*Number of rounds may be adjusted based upon attendance.

When
February 16th, 2013 10:00 AM   through   10:00 PM

Event Fee $ 10.00[/spoiler]

This is now the official: BashCon 2013 Event Discussion Thread

Good luck to all attending.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: BashCon 2013 Event Discussion Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »
Paradox, I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, and I've decided you're going to go.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 12:32:21 PM »
Well now i have no choice!!!
Si vis pacem para bellum

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:09:45 PM »
Remember all AW will have a big presence at BashCon. This will include demos, the tourney, possibly a strategy and tactics of MW discussion.

I would also like to do a feature match table but I still do not know if this will come together in time (My plan was to have this filmed and post the videos of the matches on the web).

What I was wondering is who is planning on attending.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:47:08 PM »
I will be there, plus I'm bringing along either three, or four friends.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 02:56:42 AM »
Im planning to attend
Si vis pacem para bellum

gos_jim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:10:05 PM »
Looks like registration at the con itself is $10 for a day badge. Do you have to pay the $10 to register at the con and the $10 event fee for the tournament?

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 05:13:59 PM »
Yes, per the facebook page post from 02/07.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »
For those that missed it

Quote from: "Thessial" post=7114
Allow me to add some clarification to address some of this.

The tie breaker (in current format) goes to the mage who has been dealt the least amount of damage. This means that if I do 20 points of damage to the priestess over the course of a game and she heals 11 of it and in turn does 18 damage to me, I win the tie having done more damage to her during the game than she did to me.

Healing is not a factor in tie-breakers.

Just to keep you informed, we will be taking our tournament setup live for the first time at Bash Con in Toledo, OH. We will be sure to post how that went, winning decks, winning strategies, and more once that happens.

Here is the link in case you can join us!

Bash Con XXVIII

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
Okay, so it's imperative that you track both the damage you've taken, and the damage your opponent has token over the course of the game on a piece of paper, since there is no way for this to be tracked using the markers. Is that right?

Also, where was this posted?

Edit: FOUND THE POST :).

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
I've been doing some thinking about this... in my experience you can't trust other people during tournament play. Your opponent can to easily 'miscalculate' mana usage, or health usage - and there are a LOT of times where even just one mana matters. For that reason, it's very important you track both of your opponent's vitals yourself - mana and health. You also need to keep track of total damage sustained by both players throughout the game. That's a total of 4 numbers that change quite a bit throughout the game. I haven't yet experienced this so I have to speak from a place of theory, but it is a bit worrisome.

Now, on the flip side, if tracking these numbers doesn't turn out to be a huge pain - then I really like this system for tie breakers. It strongly encourages more aggressive play than the alternative (most life left), and feels pretty fair overall. I'll be going to bashcon, so I look forward to seeing the system in action and am confident that no matter what I'm going to have a good time slinging spells :).