April 28, 2024, 02:56:16 AM

Author Topic: Attaching and Spellbinding  (Read 5463 times)

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Attaching and Spellbinding
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »
If I cast a Wand on a friendly teammate, do I attach a spell from my book or does that teammate pick a spell from his.
In my mind...
If binding happens at casting, he would get my spell
if binding happens at attachment I think he would get his own spell.  (unless he never becomes the controller,in which case itd be my spell again but he would never be able to use it in that case since I'd be retaining control.)

Which brings up the recently teased Steal Equipment card..
If spellbinding occurs at attachment, then when a Wand gets swiped with Steal Enchanment would the spellbinding step get re-triggered and make the new owner find a spell of his own for it?  Or was Spellbinding already settled at casting and the attachment have no effect letting you effectivly steal the attached spell too?

Just kinda curious where that falls in the order of operations.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Attaching and Spellbinding
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:42 AM »
That is an interesting question. I read through the Spellbinding rules and there is no mention of whether the spell comes from the casting player or the controlling player.

I guess this would depend on the intent of the Mage Wand and it should probably be clarified.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:15:13 AM »
Great question.

The binding is part of the spell resolution. When you attach the wand to another Mage, it gives that Mage the abilities listed on the card (he can cast the bound spell and also swap it out), so it makes sense that the spell should come from the spellbook of the Mage that the wand is attached to.

If everyone is in agreement, we will write that into the upcoming FAQ.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »
So in the case of Steal Equipment, would it "reset" the binding on the new attachment or can he opt to keep the current spell since one is present?

Drealin

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »
I would have to agree with Arcanus, to keep the game mechanics consistent equipment is not seperate from the mage it is attached to.  The mage wand gives the mage the ability to continuously cast 1 particular spell over and over again.  In the game the wand is not truly a thing of itself.

It would be interesting though, to have some kind of spell of mechanic for multiplayer that allowed you to give a spell to an ally.  Could be useful especially when 1 of the more powerful mages come out.

LumberjackJim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
Quote from: "baronzaltor" post=6617
So in the case of Steal Equipment, would it "reset" the binding on the new attachment or can he opt to keep the current spell since one is present?

It seems to me that the attached spell should be destroyed and the caster of Steal Equipment should bind their own spell to the wand.  My reasoning is kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best to make it comprehensible.

1) Stealing the equipment should give you the abilities of that equipment.  The ability of a wand is to allow you to cast a spell you know, and have thoroughly studied, multiple times, instead of just once.  So to have a wand that now lets you cast an unfamiliar spell seems wrong to me from a flavor standpoint.

2) The implications of stealing the spell seem weird to me.  A wand lets you change the bound spell for 3 mana, returning the previously bound spell to your spellbook.  So, would you then get your opponents spell in your spellbook because you took his wand?  Just another thing that seems a little illogical.

Obviously, there's not a lot of rules support in those arguments, as there is no precedence for this issue, hence the discussion.  That's just how I would rule it if it came up in a game and there was no official ruling.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
That seems to make good sense.  We can insert that in the coming FAQ.  We welcome any additional comments.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:21:31 PM »
Quote from: "LumberjackJim" post=6626
Quote from: "baronzaltor" post=6617

It seems to me that the attached spell should be destroyed and the caster of Steal Equipment should bind their own spell to the wand.  My reasoning is kind of hard to explain, but I'll do my best to make it comprehensible.

1) Stealing the equipment should give you the abilities of that equipment.  The ability of a wand is to allow you to cast a spell you know, and have thoroughly studied, multiple times, instead of just once.  So to have a wand that now lets you cast an unfamiliar spell seems wrong to me from a flavor standpoint.

2) The implications of stealing the spell seem weird to me.  A wand lets you change the bound spell for 3 mana, returning the previously bound spell to your spellbook.  So, would you then get your opponents spell in your spellbook because you took his wand?  Just another thing that seems a little illogical.

Obviously, there's not a lot of rules support in those arguments, as there is no precedence for this issue, hence the discussion.  That's just how I would rule it if it came up in a game and there was no official ruling.

Thats the line of reasoning I was following, just wanted to make sure I had it clear with myself hehe.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=6614
Great question.

The binding is part of the spell resolution. When you attach the wand to another Mage, it gives that Mage the abilities listed on the card (he can cast the bound spell and also swap it out), so it makes sense that the spell should come from the spellbook of the Mage that the wand is attached to.

If everyone is in agreement, we will write that into the upcoming FAQ.

This was the way I had though it worked. Just need to edit some old posts once the new rules go live.

I would also state that the current controller of the wand has the ability to change out the spell, But if the wand is taken or given it does not automatically lose the attached spell
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 04:35:58 AM »
i agree with Shad0w. Attached spell should stay with the wand, if somebody would like to change it, has to pay 3 mana.

what's the cos of Steel Equipment?
is it 2*X or 20+x? (i hope first option, but i have a feeling it's second which seems too much expensive).

shivetay

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 01:43:52 AM »
what's the cos of Steel Equipment?
is it 2*X or 20+x? (i hope first option, but i have a feeling it's second which seems too much expensive).

and i have question also, binding spell cost me mana cast cost, and can i preper two spels for action and one for bind?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 07:18:11 AM »
You don't prepare any spells for spellbind. Just your two spells as normal. When you cast an object that has the spellbind trait, you immediately search through your spellbook and get out any one spell that you wish to attach to it.

Afterall, your opponent doesn't know what you've prepared, so they probably wouldn't allow you to pull three spells out of your spellbook (excluding spawnpoint and familiar preparations).

After you have cast the object with spellbind, you will continue to prepare two spells as normal per round, which means any spellbind objects will provide you with additional spells you can choose from for your actions.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:19:50 AM by Zuberi »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »
You don't prepare any spells for spellbind. Just your two spells as normal. When you cast an object that has the spellbind trait, you immediately search through your spellbook and get out any one spell that you wish to attach to it.

Afterall, your opponent doesn't know what you've prepared, so they probably wouldn't allow you to pull three spells out of your spellbook (excluding spawnpoint and familiar preparations).

After you have cast the object with spellbind, you will continue to prepare two spells as normal per round, which means any spellbind objects will provide you with additional spells you can choose from for your actions.

Correct
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage