April 29, 2024, 07:14:24 AM

Author Topic: Not-so-obvious synergies  (Read 7379 times)

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Not-so-obvious synergies
« on: January 16, 2013, 11:55:40 AM »
This topic is for posting and discusing cards, that could have use, that is not so obvious at first time.
For a start, here are 4:
- Darkfenee Bat - not really not-obvious, but it is an animal. It can be nice addition to Beastmaster's deck, but also makes some of nature's spell valuble for Warlock.

- Highland Unicorn - another animal. With it's group regeneration it seams perfect for BM swarm spellbook.

- Goran, Werewolf Pet - this creature is canine. He is Warlock-only, but Redclaw, Alpha Male has no restrictions. It made me thinking about wolf-based Warlock deck (maybe with Bats and animal buffs?) - I have not good spellbook idea yet, but I found it an interesting topic to consider.

- Samandriel, Angel of Light - with light immunity, she is immune to Blinding Flash, which will affect all of the other creatures in the zone (except casting Mage, of course).
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Not-so-obvious synergies
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »
I'm playing around with the idea of casting Death Link on Necropian Vampiress in my Warlock build. She might be able to heal the damage I put on her, I also support her with Bear Strength.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »
Quote from: "theduke850" post=6422
I'm playing around with the idea of casting Death Link on Necropian Vampiress in my Warlock build. She might be able to heal the damage I put on her, I also support her with Bear Strength.

You can also run Shift Enchantment, then pass the Deathlink to a near dead creature from your vampiress to snuff them out for a few extra damage, and curse weave the Deathlink back to your hand when it dies and start over.

Vampiress has quickly become one of my favorite go-to creatures.  HoneyBunny (as Ive nicknamed her) can jump walls and gas clouds, swat fliers and is also a teriffic guard because if shes got a buff from Bear Strength or Bim Shalla, she will likely heal the damage she took from the attack when she counterstrikes. When buffed and Battle Fury'ed Ive had her fully heal herself from near death in one swoop and carve up big chunks of health.  I cant wait for a card to come out to give her Bloodthirsty trait, as Ive always hated that I cant make her my Blood Reaper.

Also on the topic of Shift Enchantment, you can make a suprise rush with one Cheetah Speed shifted accross multiple units by having one run 2 spaces, attack, shift the speed to another guy then have him run in and attack then quick action to pull it to a third creature and have him rush and attack, or double/tripple dip a Bear Strength by shifting the strength accross a few creatures.  Its much cheaper than casting and revealing the enchantment for each creature and the oppnent doest see it as a ton of buffs to prepare for.

As previously mentioned the Charging Unicorn is not only good for a Beastmaster deck but is an outstanding non-legendary candidate for your pet token which makes it crazy hard to kill.

Another combo thats fun is a flying Gorgon Archer, or giving flight to the new lightening throwing reindeer from the organized play promos.

Pestillance Idol/Malacoda and Whirling Spirits work well together.  The spirits are non living so they dont take damage from the Idol, and are incoporeal so they are hard to kill.  And when they attack they have a secondary function of pushing/dazing (fun on guard with counter attacks) to keep zones clear or hockey shove other units against the wall for yet more damage, or to push targets right on top of Malcodas sqaure.

I was tinkering with combining Resurrection and Sacrificial Altar but not sure how I feel about Resurrection. (sacrifice a creature somewhere else on the board to pump the melee/pierce of a creature, then rez him to my position in the frey... kind of an expensive way to quick buff and teleport someone at the same time.)

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
Some great points baronzaltor, but a quick correction:  flying, on the vampiress or anything else, doesn't let you fly over a poison gas cloud.  Anything living, flying or not, gets a big lungful of gas when they enter its zone.  She's still quite nice though!

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:37 AM »
thats my bad, for whatever reason I thought you could hop those.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 03:02:28 AM »
Great stuff Baronzaltor!
Si vis pacem para bellum

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:46:04 AM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=6440
Great stuff Baronzaltor!

Pretty sure I just spoiler'ed the crap out of the next deck Im bringing... but figured knowledge is power so might as well toss out some of the weird junk we think of when messing with this game.

Nienna

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »
Reverse attack doesn't work for Samandriel either, learned that with the hard way :P

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
Retaliate on Vampiress is amazing.

Oh, you just hit my vampiress for 3 damage? I will retaliate and hit you back for 5 damage, and leech my 3 damage right back!

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=7218
Retaliate on Vampiress is amazing.

Oh, you just hit my vampiress for 3 damage? I will retaliate and hit you back for 5 damage, and leech my 3 damage right back!

I must confess I have always overlooked retaliate. That would be an unpleasant surprise.

Hey_Daralon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »
One gamebreaking strategy I used was Repulse>Suppression Orb>Mordok's Obelisk>Mass Sleep

It was Forcemaster(me) vs. Beastmaster
I had only two Thoughtspores out covering me while the BM's army converged on the FM. He had initiative and quickcasted some incantation, then I quickcasted Repulse. The FM just laughed, because a lot of his creatures had charging, so he started by using up all of his mana to summon something else and prepared for another rush. The timing could not have been any better for Suppression Orb. He had absolutely 0 mana and couldn't even attack my thoughtspores. Next turn, I summoned Mordok's Obelisk right in his area, and he ordered his entire army take it down, because after paying upkeep, he was getting about 7 mana a turn I think. Luckily, he couldn't bring it down, so the next turn, I set off Mass Sleep. As my mage was fully decked out, I had two Thoughtspores in attacking positions, and I was ready to summon Invisible Stalker next turn, he just conceded right there.

Diji

• Consummate Professional
  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »
Knockdown and Tanglevine combo well to put action exhausted fliers permanently on the ground so melee non-flyers can deal damage. The flier losing the ability to hinder while down is an added bonus. I've had this work well against Tarok and  various angel creatures. Bats and Falcons are rarely worth the mana unless pet'd or otherwise enchant boosted.

Now this one is a little crazy. Forcemaster loves her control, pushes, pulls, etcetera. These factors put ranged creatures that require them to be 1-2 zones away to resolve significant damage at risk of being less of a threat. (examples, Ludwig, Grimson, Goblin Slinger, Royal Archer, Gorgon Archer) Tanglevine, now with the unmovable trait, makes me consider casting it on friendly mid to large creatures that exploit being at a distance AND would be prime candidates for Forcemasters Mind Control.

Why?

#1. Keep them from being pushed around - this forces the Forcemaster to come in and get them or teleport them. (which at a zone beyond 1 will cost them more than Tanglevine, but you could counter with nullify)

#2. Makes them less attractive to Forcemaster for Mind Control. (also a good reason to have a lingering nullify btw) Will my opponent want pay the high cost to mind control a level 3 or 4 creature that can't move, and can't hinder? It is pretty mana inefficient for the Mind Controller in my opinion.

In theory, Tanglevine might even work well defensively on non-ranged slow creatures like a Hydra or Malacoda, effectively making them a nasty wall that the Forcemaster has to work around and that conversely you can push the Forcemaster into to deal out some damage.

Lol. In seriousness, this might not even be a feasible tactic but the goal is to have fun and try stuff out so we'll see how it goes - it sounds like a good time and if I can get one Forcemaster to attack a Tanglevine I cast on a friendly then this will all be worth it.  :lol:
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:54:39 PM »
Quote from: "Dijirati" post=10210
Knockdown and Tanglevine combo well to put action exhausted fliers permanently on the ground so melee non-flyers can deal damage. :

I would cast Maim Wings instead. Save Tanglevine or Knockdown for other creatures or mage.

Diji

• Consummate Professional
  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • …and so it begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:44 AM »
Good point. Maim wings serves the purpose.

However, there is some value added using Tanglevine/Knockdown combo as an effective alternative - consider for 3 more mana than Maim Wings, target creature can no longer hinder others, guard effectively, suffers -2 to defensive rolls, is unable to move (save for teleport - forcing opponent to burn the extra 3 mana you just paid) AND target creature might spend a turn or two trying to escape the vines.

That said, as mentioned, this is a tactic I would only employ on mid to larger flying creatures. Beyond that, teleport seems to be a pesky and valuable spell amongst my play group - if I can get them to exhaust one or with luck their only one in predictable fashion, it'll pay dividends.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock