April 28, 2024, 01:10:38 PM

Author Topic: Divine Intervention is incredibly useful!  (Read 5784 times)

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
Divine Intervention is incredibly useful!
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:46:55 AM »
It just came to my mind that DI is possibly one of the most game changing spells.
How to make great use of it? Just cast it on the opposing mage and wait for him to cast a creature that costs alot of mana. During his "Cast Spell" step he chooses a target zone (since range is 0, its the zone he is standing in), he pays the mana (lets say 21 mana for legendary angel) and the spell has been cast. Now comes the counter spell step: You reveal DI and teleport him wherever you wish (not into the same zone). Next Step: Resolve Spell. Since the target zone, which has been chosen by the opposing mage during the cast spell step, is no longer valid, the spell is countered and all his 21 mana disappears into nothingness.
If you dont believe me check page 17 of the rules book:
When a spell resolves, if you find that the target of the spell
is no longer valid (has moved or changed), then the spell is
countered.

The downside is, that you need to save 10 mana (9 with ring of asyra) to be able to reveal DI. But what you get is incredibly powerful! Your oppent may lose much more mana than you paid, his creature spell is moved to his discard pile without any benefits for him, his mage is teleported to any zone you wish (and might need 2 rounds to come back to the spot he used to be, which gives you time to fight his creatures), and as a nice addition the priestess gets one extra life since DI is a holy enchantment.

Another neat trick:
As we all know, mage wands and elemental wands are very likely to being dissolved. DI is just another way to protect them for several rounds. If your opponent casts dissolve on your mage, reveal DI during the counter spell step and teleport him wherever you wish. He looses 5 mana, his dissolve spell goes to his discard pile (if your lucky it was his last one), and he needs one or two rounds to come back to you (which gives you plenty of time to make use of your wand).
In a similar way you can use it to counter devastating attack spells (e.g. chain lightning).

Even more deadly: If your opponent doesnt cast his spawnpoint early, try to lay DI on him as soon as possible. Use it to counter his spawnpoint cast, which gives you a HUGE advantage!

Until today I wasnt sure how useful DI is, in fact, i thought of removing it from my spellbook. But after thinking about it, DI might be the best spell of all that are available atm, at least its the most surprising one.
Actually, the ability to counter creature spells that might cost twice the mana of DI (adramelech costs 24 mana) seems so incredibly powerful - its hard to believe that this is how the designers intented it to work. But from my understanding of the rules, its possible ...

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Divine Intervention is incredibly useful!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »
Thanks for the protip Charmyna :), hadn't considered using it offensively like that. Have you had a chance to try this out? I'll definitely be considering it the next time I get to run a Wizard.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »
As your opponent why not cast a Seeking Dispel on the face down enchantment to eliminate this threat?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:46:49 AM »
Wait until you think they are out of seeking dispel cards...or better, purposly run them out of seeking dispel cards before you you use DI.
Si vis pacem para bellum

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »
Quote from: "wtcannonjr" post=6508
As your opponent why not cast a Seeking Dispel on the face down enchantment to eliminate this threat?

Personally, if I was going to use Divine Intervention offensively like that I would wait until I had 12 mana to cast and reveal the spell all at once so that my opponent wouldn't have time to burn it off with a Seeking Dispel.

Dre2Dee2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
Just cast a huge creature and chuck DI on it first turn. Then on your second turn, use DI to teleport it straight into your enemies face. GG  ;)

Jon.Ambriz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »
DI is pretty useful when you use it in such an offensive way. Also, it's hilarious to watch a DI drop into a Teleport Trap or Hellfire Trap and watch the burn/forced teleport start XD
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
That's a nice spell you have there. It'd be a shame if something happened to it.

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:58:08 AM »
Quote from: "Jon.Ambriz" post=6698
DI is pretty useful when you use it in such an offensive way. Also, it's hilarious to watch a DI drop into a Teleport Trap or Hellfire Trap and watch the burn/forced teleport start XD

Man I love these forums. They're full of some great ideas  :evil: