April 26, 2024, 03:03:16 PM

Author Topic: Playing Keep Away  (Read 5241 times)

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Playing Keep Away
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:23:39 PM »
So I've played around 5 games or so and observed 2-3, and each time I feel like I learn something new or get a better grasp on the rules.

One of the key strategies that I have picked up on is shrewd use of initiative and spacing. Whether is be blasting away with Thunderbolt from 3 zones away as the mage or using fast,charging creatures as the Beastmaster, I find that knowing when to move forward or back is key for me. So I thought I'd open this up for some fun examples of using spacing to protect the mage or a creature and then punish your opponent.

I've been reading about struggling beastmasters lately so here is an example I saw used last night.

Beastmaster at one end of the arena, one space away is a fast (enchanted) mountain gorilla, two spaces from him is the enemy mage (a warlock, heavily geared with equip.) BM has the totems that ad +1 melee for charge and +1 pierce in play as well as the staff of beasts.

Quickcast staff of beasts to boost the gorilla by +2 more melee, then activate him to charge in adding +1 more. For +7 total melee! Sure the Lock can choose to stay there and duke it out with the gorilla (which lets the BM summon and enchant up another friend.) or he can start moving towards  BM (which is currently too far away for most spells and he is hindered by the gorilla limiting movement AND if he does move the ape charges in again for another hard hit while  BM continues to dance around the edges of the board, possibly laying tanglevine down or a wall to block LOS).

thoughts and or more distance based tactics?

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Playing Keep Away
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
Quote from: "Archwizard07" post=6267
he is hindered by the gorilla limiting movement AND if he does move the ape charges in again for another hard hit while

In a game the other night I found hindering is one of he keys. They can either move ONE space or sit there and like it. Simply getting a creature next to your opponent seems to be a good tactic.

I was playing the priestess and was attempting to play "keep away", but once hindered I found myself staying pat and completely changing my game plan.

I'll be curious to hear what players with more experience than I have to say on the subject.

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
Board control and the ability to move effectively is the key to the game, for me at least.  Hindering your opponent is huge, and having a screen of low cost cannon fodder is great to help control through hindering.

On the flip side, being hindered absolutely sucks and if you are anything like me, you will pack a teleport or two specifically to make sure you can break hinder control.  Ok... if you really are like me, you play the wizard and pack a ridiculous amount of teleports to break hinder, gain hinder on a foe, deal with conjurations, drop Hydras on top of people, pull some poor sod into your Zone of Death where hydras, packs of mana leeches, twisters, and all kinds of pain and suffering await.

Oh teleport, how I love thee... it is possible that in my game circle the Mage Wand has come to be known as my Wand of Teleportation.  I can't confirm or deny that, however.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:40:43 AM »
Tanglevine and Knockdown are both solid ways to get around being hindered as well.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »
In some situations I have found that initiative can be used to put distance between your enemies. If you get the last action in one turn and with initiative you get the first action in the next turn your mage can effectively move 3 zones (Hindered action - move 1 to an 'open' zone + First action of new turn - move 2 more zones) while the creatures engaging you will only be able to pursue 2 zones without incantations.

If you can retreat 'behind' your own creatures then these will help you to disengage by hindering the opponents pursuing creatures.

This is also a good combination of actions if your mage needs to save mana for casting an expensive spell.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kytan

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 02:28:39 AM »
Quote from: "wtcannonjr" post=6767
In some situations I have found that initiative can be used to put distance between your enemies. If you get the last action in one turn and with initiative you get the first action in the next turn your mage can effectively move 3 zones (Hindered action - move 1 to an 'open' zone + First action of new turn - move 2 more zones) while the creatures engaging you will only be able to pursue 2 zones without incantations.

If you can retreat 'behind' your own creatures then these will help you to disengage by hindering the opponents pursuing creatures.

This is also a good combination of actions if your mage needs to save mana for casting an expensive spell.

I like that method! I personally like moving and then summon a wall to block or have a teleportation trap in the zone I'm moving into.  Although being a beastmaster I usually just make my opponent wade through several creatures,that way he can advance but it will cost him and hopefully I'll get the better end of the deal.  Teleport is just too easy and obivous  :P