March 29, 2024, 07:33:11 AM

Author Topic: The crowd control priestess  (Read 3948 times)

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
The crowd control priestess
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
First, I want to thank the developers for such an amazing game!

I thought of a priestess that focuses on creature-based crowd control (i.e. no further mana-spending required). The priestess is a great candidate for this because of the temple of light, the two legendary Angels and the staff of asyra. All these items give a fairly nice chance to stun or daze an ennemy creature, which helps to minimize your ennemies damage output and allows your mage to hold the upper hand in the long run.

Here are the opening turns i thought of:

Round 1 (20 mana to use):
-Temple of asyra (10 mana)
- harmonize on temple of asyra (4 mana)
- 6 mana left on mage

At a first glance, you might think its better to cast a cleric+temple of asyra to make use of the full action.
The reason why the above seems better to me is that the harmonize leads to your temple channeling 2 mana and thus it can summon a creature in round 2 (which is not the case without the harmonize).

Round 2 (16 mana on mage, 2 mana on temple of asyra)
- asyran cleric (cast by temple of asyra for 5 mana); remember: These clerics can put 1 mana on the temple per cleric up to 2 mana per round
- asyran cleric (5 mana)
- moonglow amulet
- 2 mana left on mage

round 3 (13 mana on mage, 2 on temple)
- temple of light (9 mana cast by mage)
- your mages full action can be used to attack rushing creatures.
- 4 mana left on mage, 2 on temple

round 4 (15 mana on mage. 6 on temple)
- Valshalla, Lightning Angel (cast by temple for 21 mana), remember the angel gets a benefit if your clerics die!
- use mages full action against rushing creatures

round 5 (14 mana on mage, 4 on temple)
- staff of asyra (9 mana)
- mages full action can be used to stun/daze ennemies now!
- 5 mana left on mage, 4 on temple

round 6(16 mana on mage, 8 on temple)
- Samandriel, Angel of Light (21 mana cast by temple)

Thats it! By round 6 you have 4 attacks per round which can stun/daze ennemies! If you like, you can add a stonnegaze basilisk for some more crowd control.
I havent played this build yet, so im not sure how well it works against someone who is rushing.
This opening turns might not be the quickest way to get creatures, but you will end up with 15 mana per turn and 4 creatures (actually one is the temple of light) which can crowd control the ennemy without any additional mana input!

Some additional thoughts:
You might want some nullifys and dispels to protect your angels against curses etc. Im not sure how vulnerable they are against enchantments and nasty battle tricks, but since they both have aegis 1 and many of your ennemies creatures will be dazed/stunned/crippled, they should survive quite well against other creatures.
Dont worry too much about your clerics. They are holy level 1 creatures, so its cheap to have a couple of them in your spellbook. Since they only cost 5 mana, they pay off very soon by channeling the temple. Even if they die after channeling only once, they did cost you 4 mana but survived at least one attack that did at least 6 damage through armor 1! Thats more mana efficient than a minor heal! In addition, if the clerics die after the Angel of lightning has been summoned, their death gives the angel a permanent +1 melee up to +4!!! Think of such an Angel with 6-8 attack dice combined with a 3 Hands of Bim-Shalla (which increase the damage and chance to daze of the temple of light as well) for another +3 melee. Now use a wand with battle fury, which costs you 5 mana per turn and allows your Angel to use his 8-10 dice attack twice per round (each attack has 7-8 daze, 9-12 stun!).

If someone played similar first rounds, im very curious how that worked out. I will write more, after I tested it against a friend :).

BR3AKR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: The crowd control priestess
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »
Really enjoyed the read, thank you for the write-up! Since I haven't gotten to play against many opponents yet its still really hard for me to just read something like this and see it unfold.

I've been wanting to build a priestess so I think I'll be using this opener as my basis. I'll let you know how it goes!

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
Charmyna - you will need to make one modification to your plan. The Temple of Asyra can only cast Holy creatures so the Stone Basilisk can only enter play if the Priestess summons it directly.

Otherwise sounds like a nasty plan.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 03:06:58 AM »
Quote from: "wtcannonjr" post=6245
Charmyna - you will need to make one modification to your plan. The Temple of Asyra can only cast Holy creatures so the Stone Basilisk can only enter play if the Priestess summons it directly.

Otherwise sounds like a nasty plan.

Youre right. I changed the setup and kicked the basilisk for now. This allows casting the first angel in round 4 instead of 5 and the 2nd angel in round 6 instead of 7. Might cast the basilisk in round 7 (or in round 3 casted by mage) depending on the ennemies creatures and whether or not I can use the mages full turn to attack a rushing creature in round 3.

Archwizard07

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »
I like this idea, thought I would probably try it with a wizard though, in fact i kind of have, at the cost of winning, because all I did was manipulate my opponent and his creatures. Was fun, but ultimately I didn't pursue damage enough.

I am REALLY looking forward to the forcemage, mind controll, force attacks, that sounds right up my alley!!