April 25, 2024, 10:07:06 PM

Author Topic: Reveal Enchantment Timing Question  (Read 4154 times)

sean

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Reveal Enchantment Timing Question
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »
Lets say I have maim wings on an opponent's flying creature, unrevealed.
My opponent activates the creature.
At this point, if I reveal, my opponent will not be able to target a flying creature.
Lets say I wait until my opponent declares the attack, and targets one of my flying creatures.
If I reveal now, since the target has already been declared, I would expect it to be too late to prevent the attack.

Thematically this would represent maiming the wings after the creature was already locked in combat with the opponent, so it is too late to negate the target.

Does this sound right?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Reveal Enchantment Timing Question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:30:28 AM »
Awhile back we ahd a few questions about this. Arcanus and I both did rules write ups.

Quote from: "Arcanus" post=2311

You can reveal an enchantment between Attack Steps.  As long as it does not alter a prior event, it will affect the attack.  

For example, if you reveal Rhino Hide immediately after the Roll the Dice Step, it can and will help reduce the damage done, since damage has not been applied yet.  

Likewise, Divine Intervention was specifically designed for just such a purpose.  Wait for the attack dice to roll, see the result, if it's horrible call upon Asyra to whisk you away before the Apply Damage and Effects Step!  Watch your opponents face turn from elation (after rolling 8 crits and a Stun!) to surprise and defeat!

Even an attacker might use Divine Intervention after making an attack, just before the Counterstrike Step, to avoid a nasty Counterstrike.

Using spells in such a manner adds some great tactics and surprises to the game.

However, you can't change prior events.  For example, revealing Divine Intervention after the Apply Damage and effects Step might whisk you away, but you still took the damage and effects.

Hope that helps!

Quote from: "Shad0w" post=2312
Quote from: "Koz" post=2310
Quote from: "Gewar" post=2302
Rulebook, page 19, Flying:
"A creature cannot gain or lose flying in the middle of an attack".

So the flying is easy to judge.

Well that answers that, and I figured it was covered in the rulebook.

Rulebook, page 22, Revealing Enchantments:
"Enchantments cannot affect an event that occured before it was reveled."

I would say, that your creature would be damaged, if you haven't teleported it away before it was targeted, but I'm not sure.

But, by that logic the example used in the rulebook is invalid.  In the rulebook it gives the example that a player could reveal a Rhino Hide in the middle of an attack to reduce damage, and this would certainly be "affecting an event that occured before it was revealed".  So, I don't think we have a clear answer on the Divine Intervention issue just yet.

As an additional question (more of a clarification really), going back to the revealing of a Rhino Hide during an attack, you can reveal this in between the rolling dice step and the apply damage step right?  So I could wait and see the damage rolled and then choose to reveal the Rhino Hide before I take any damage right?  Pretty sure I can, but I want to make sure.

Making an Attack
When you attack, you must follow these steps in order:
1. Declare Attack
2. Avoid Attack
3. Roll Dice
4. Damage and Effects
5. Additional Strikes
6. Damage Barrier
7. Counterstrike
8. Attack Ends

In the rulebook it gives the example that a player could reveal a Rhino Hide in the middle of an attack to reduce damage, and this would certainly be "affecting an event that occured before it was revealed"
Each step in an attack is a separate event.

So I could wait and see the damage rolled and then choose to reveal the Rhino Hide before I take any damage right? Yes  it would be between steps 3 and 4. After the dice are rolled before the damage is applied.

Hope that helps.

This is the full thread if you want to read it
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage