April 26, 2024, 12:01:30 PM

Author Topic: Cube Drafting  (Read 4670 times)

Fidasaind

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Cube Drafting
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »
Being a former MTG player this is something I've been trying to encourage in my area (NW Valley of Phoenix, Imperial Outpost Games specifically).

The concept is like a cube draft in Magic.

Take a box of Mage Wars (or in my case, 2 boxes) and shuffle them up.

Players will choose random cards to create "packs". Then they will draft a pool of cards from those packs. So far I think 4 packs of 12 or 15 cards.

After drafting, players pick the mage they want to use and then create a legal (120 points, usual card limits, etc) spellbook. And then go at it.

In the future I'd love to get people to try a league.

Everyone picks their mage. Then they draft.
Week 1 we draft off of 3 packs but have a limit of 75-100 points. Each week we can add 5-10 more points (mage is leveling up). and draft off a new pack.

I've only tested drafting head to head so far. I tried setting up an event but it was the holiday season and there is limited (but growing) interest in Mage Wars at the LGS.

I'm just putting the idea out there for anyone else that always enjoyed limited format in Magic.

Tokata

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Cube Drafting
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »
So that looks like an awesome idea to do with new players - after getting the rules with the apprentice spelltomes draft, you don't need to know every card, but get to see the most, while still some surprises remain (since some cards are unique) - and get customised decks. i definitiv gonna try this!

bholmes4

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Cube Drafting
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:01:31 PM »
Have you tested this further? I want to try something similar.