March 28, 2024, 04:03:01 AM

Author Topic: Now on Boardgaming.com  (Read 4421 times)

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Now on Boardgaming.com
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:19:03 AM »
Hey, if you guys didn't know about this place, Mage Wars has a page on boardgaming.com now. Check out http://boardgaming.com/games/board-games/mage-wars-core-set - basically, this place is like BGG but is more centered around reviews than news. People are able to review games, give the game a score from 1 to 10 which the average is then shown. When they write a review, they can give a star for different aspects of the game. You can even records 'Plays' and 'Likes' and such, with the top 'played' and 'liked' games on average being placed on a side bar and such.

Anyway, its a really terrific site. I suggest looking it over and signing up so that when Mage Wars hit we can place it on the top with some great scores and a great number of likes and played and so forth. If you sign up, say that Numare sent you so that I can get an achievement on the site (the site has an RPG feel of sorts where you can score different achievements to earn gold to spend on avatars and backgrounds and such).

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Now on Boardgaming.com
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:39:05 AM »
"place is like BGG" and then you exactly describe BGG. According to what you wrote there's no need to use this site as BGG already did this years ago. And everyone is using BGG. If something is not on BGG, it does not exist.

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:53:27 AM »
Well, while its a lot like BGG, I find it much better for reviews and recording what people like and have played. I know for me, I've found games that I would never have looked at because, while they're popular and talked about a lot on BGG, you just need to look for them. I found out about Dominion and Carcassonne, for instance, on this place. I also like how you can see the average ratings for the game from the reviewers and such. Sure, BGG has it - but those numbers are ALWAYS so skewered and wrong that I don't pay attention to them for the most part.

So, its got its niche. Does it replace BGG? Nope, I don't think so. But, I think it works well hand-in-hand with BGG as an outside source. What I'd think would be great is if we could make Mage Wars the top game on that site - so people can see how great the game is going to be.

stadi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »
I actually registered on Boardgaming.com months ago but never again visited the site. The one thing BGG lacks and Boardgaming.com has is the good looks. You are right, BGG need some time investment till you know how to find what you know but I think it's worth it.