April 29, 2024, 03:20:04 PM

Author Topic: Online Play  (Read 4358 times)

Mgrancey

Online Play
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
Anyone have any good suggestions for possibly how to perform online play. I'm not big into social media so I haven't tried Google Hangouts, though I now its used for PnP RPGs and I have found a dice roller to work with.

I don't know if any stores somewhat nearby are participating, so a list to search would be useful.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Online Play
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 08:03:38 AM »
Last I heard the MW team was working on digital version.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Morbidsoup

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
A possible on-line play option is through Vassal game engine.I had mentioned this on a facebook post in the mage wars page just recently.If there is enough interest and permission from the game designers,I could look into talking with my friends that know how to build modules for vassal and see what i can do.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »
Yes yes YES!  This game is perfect for Vassal!
Si vis pacem para bellum

Morbidsoup

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »
Well there are some issues with the vassal engine that I am talking to other more seasoned module builders that I am trying to figure out.First how to build a spell book off line and load into the module without reporting the cards onto vassal without your opponent knowing what you have.Second with that same issue how to do it without going through so many steps to make it easy enough to have new vassal players go through the motions and not turn them off to using vassal.And finally getting permission from AW to post a public module so all could download it. Once I figure out 1 and 2 then I will approach AW for number 3.  :cheer:

Tacullu64

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »
I'd like to see an iOS version by Playdek. They did a great job on Summoner Wars.

symme7ry

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 02:12:49 AM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=2579
I'd like to see an iOS version by Playdek. They did a great job on Summoner Wars.

+1.

So far I've played 3 games, and my current thinking is that this MW would make a better online game than it does a board game, even though I like it as a board game. My reasoning is that the most fun part of MW is the decision making in the planning phase and then when deciding what to do during the action phases. There are a few things that seem to bog down the flow of the game:

(1) dice rolling
(2) manually keeping track of upkeep / counters / conditions
(3) checking rules

I think an online version could streamline all of those things. I know people say that the game speeds up once you get used to it, but the problem is that both people I've played against don't want to play anymore because the current slowness isn't worth it for them. I think an online version may be able to bring in some new fans who otherwise wouldn't take the time to learn the game.

That said -- any update on the status of an online version?