March 28, 2024, 11:56:56 AM

Author Topic: Updated Starter Spellbooks!  (Read 44085 times)

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Updated Starter Spellbooks!
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:19:27 AM »
Hey gang,

Based on the amazing feedback here on the forums, on facebook, BGG, and through our own playtesting - we've updated and improved all the spellbooks that come in the Core Set.

You can read the full article here.

I have copied and pasted the main improvements from the article below.

1. You can now build all four mages using only the Mage Wars Core Set. You can build them all at the same time, or separately. But no other purchase is required to build these mages.

2. Each spellbook is now more flavorful and unique to each Mage. For example: we took minor heals out of the Warlock's spellbook (a holy spell in the Warlock's spellbook - blecch!) and instead gave him Drain Life, Vampirism, and Vampiric Strike! These spells now heal, cost him less points, and do damage to his opponent, the perfect Warlock solution!

3. All the spellbooks include within them their counterpart Apprentic Spellbook (marked with an *), which means that you can start playing the game with the smaller apprentice spellbooks, and then when you're ready, simply add in the spells in these spellbooks! This allows you to slowly get to know each of the mages, a little bit at a time, so that you won't be overwhelmed by all the different spells right up front.

4. Each mage is perfectly balanced, with 120 points in each spellbook, so right out of the box you can play against your friends, family, and gaming group without having to worry about customizing your own spellbook. You can tweak these as you like as soon as you get more familiar with the game.

Again, thanks so much for always giving us great feedback and helping us constantly improve the quality of Mage Wars. You guys are an amazing group of fans and we couldn't be luckier to have you!

--Sean
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:29:46 PM by patrickconnor »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Updated Starter Spellbooks!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:03:11 AM »
Check out the new builds and let us know what you think.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Spyre

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »
Would it be possible for future spellbooks to list the school symbol the spell is from?  For those of us who sort our spells by school it makes it much faster to locate them.

Thanx

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »
Thanks, Spyre! We'll look into that!

kergenramirez

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 04:51:58 AM »
Hey, great updated spellbooks!

I've built the warlock and priestess but when I check the points value your updated lists seem to come to the value 121 and not 120???

I haven't checked beastmaster or wizard am I calculating wrong or is the list wrong?

Cheers in advance for your feedback!  :)

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »
I'm not entirely sure which cards are putting you over the point limit, but a couple things to remember:

The Warlock is trained in the fire school, as well as the dark school, so this means spells like Battleforge he only pays double for the War school (not for the fire school). Also, remember that spells marked "novice" (like Leather Boots), all count as just the level no matter what mage uses them.

kergenramirez

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 06:33:10 AM »
Quote from: "SeanDeCoy" post=3968
I'm not entirely sure which cards are putting you over the point limit, but a couple things to remember:

The Warlock is trained in the fire school, as well as the dark school, so this means spells like Battleforge he only pays double for the War school (not for the fire school). Also, remember that spells marked "novice" (like Leather Boots), all count as just the level no matter what mage uses them.

Thanks Sean, after looking its the Novice cards I was doubling up cost!  :oops:

Many thanks for the reply

Regards Shaun

Kidkoopa

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:25:22 AM »
I was trying to download the updated spellbook and it told me that the file doesn't exist. I was curious if there was a problem with the link or if i was just doing something wrong.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
Quote from: "Kidkoopa" post=4466
I was trying to download the updated spellbook and it told me that the file doesn't exist. I was curious if there was a problem with the link or if i was just doing something wrong.

We did a server file merge a while back.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »
[quote="Kidkoopa" post=4466]I was trying to download the updated spellbook and it told me that the file doesn't exist. I was curious if there was a problem with the link or if i was just doing something wrong.[/quote]

We did a server file merge a while back. Try this page for the download.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:51:08 PM by Shad0w »

Twilight Seraph

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 09:08:47 AM »
I'm still unable to download (or even view) the file.  Is there any other place I can download this list or possibly view it?  I've tried this on Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Quote from: "Shad0w" post=4642
Quote from: "Kidkoopa" post=4466

We did a server file merge a while back. Try this page for the download.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »
Hey there,

E-mail me at seanmccoy@arcanewonders.com and I'll get you a copy!

bishop

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
I tried assembling all four of the decks using the improved spelllists and I was one force push short.  Is that an error or a fluke that I am missing one card?

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 09:39:41 PM »
you should be able to build all 4 of the improved spell books with one core set. there are 3 copies of Force Push in the core set, if you are missing one you should contact customer service and they'll help you out.

bishop

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 11:21:18 PM »
Thanks...after your hint, I found a card list on BGG and went thru and figured out that I ended up with an extra Blue Gremlin instead of the missing Force Push.  I sent customer service an e-mail to see if I can get a replacement.