April 18, 2024, 09:27:37 PM

Author Topic: Siren House Rule Playtesting  (Read 6866 times)

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Siren House Rule Playtesting
« on: February 04, 2020, 01:51:18 AM »
So I've been mulling over the idea of doing some House Rule changes to some of the mages and a few of the underused or Never used spells. I'm going to start with Siren 1st since of all the mages I feel she might be the 2nd only to the Orc Warlord as far as needing an uplift.

Siren Rules AS THEY ARE.

120 Spellbook Points
30 Health (That is tied with the Druid for lowest health)
0 Armor
9 Channel

Training ALL Water / Pirates / Songs

Siren's Call: As a psychic song quick spell, the Siren may pay 1 mana to place her Siren's Call marker on target non-Mage creature within 2 zones.  During its action phase that creature must move at least 1 zone closer to the Siren, if possible, and may not attack her.  Return the marker at the End of their Action Phase.  Friendly aquatic creatures also gain Melee +2. (This works fine not suggesting any changes here.)

Fermata: The Siren may extend an expiring song she controls by paying mana equal to is Level and placing a Fermata marker on it.  The Siren my only have two songs affected by Fermata markers at a time, and each song my only be extended a maximum of up to 2 rounds.

Amphibious: The Siren gains Regenerate 1 while in zones with an aquatic terrain attached.

That is her entire Kit.

Sooo now the changes I'm going to be playtesting. 

120 Spellbook Points
30 Health

1 Armor (I'm giving the Siren 1 Armor)

10 Channel (see below)
- So I like the idea of giving all mages 10 Channel base I think this is a good idea so understand this change is done for all channel 9 mages. <Save the Druid>

Training ALL Water / Pirates / Songs / lvl 1 Curses
Training in Curses which seems fitting.  Too many of her songs are just outright ignored.

Siren's Call: No Changes
Fermata: No Changes

Amphibious: The Siren heals 1 damage at beginning of upkeep while in zones with an aquatic terrain attached.  (This could easily be during upkeep for right now I'm trying beginning of upkeep.)

OKAY the biggest change.  One of her primary features costs her anywhere from 4 to 6 Spellbook points depending on how you build the book. 

Shallow Sea, I am wanting to changes this to an upkeep action much like the Druid and his vine tokens but keeping the Mana Cost.  Minus any outside effects like the Ring of the Ocean's Depths which is usable more than once per turn anyways so it works well here.

Rising Tide: During the Deployment Phase, you may deploy a Shallow Sea within 0-1 zones of Siren and within LoS.  You may not have more than 6 Shallow Seas in play at a time.  Shallow Seas that are destroyed return to your Spellbook.

1. This means your action economy should improve as you now place the Shallow Seas during deployment.
2. You saves 4 to 6 SBP by not having to include Shallow Seas as Spells.
3. Shallow Seas are not spells they are like Vine Tokens so if they get destroyed you can just replace them. (I'll have to work on the wording for this.)

This is the initial outline if anyone playtests it let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 05:16:14 PM by littlenog »

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Siren House Rule Playtesting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 05:15:51 PM »
UPDATE 1.1

Training ALL Water / Pirates / Songs / lvl 1 Curses
Training in Curses which seems fitting.  Too many of her songs are just outright ignored.

So after looking over curses I think that lvl 2 Curses are not quite what I was going for with Siren edit.

So I am going to downgrade this to lvl 1 Curses for in school.

Ghoul Touch, Enfeeble, and some of the other lvl 2 Curses are not what I was intending.

All of the lvl 1 Curses I like though.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 09:06:17 PM »
i think that adding curses to her clearly improves her, but I think it is something that should not be added to her training.

I think she should get same benefit as her familiar when in water. channel +1. perhaps armor +1. and try that out. I also think her equipment spawnpoint was overcosted. I also agree with puddnhead that harmonize enchantment should gain the song type.

I would further guess that she will improve as more sets get released. so better not to tweak her training just yet. perhaps later depending on new mages being released and see what those look like before training updates.

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:08:45 PM »
Moving her from 9 to 10 base channel should fix the mana issues and having 20 starting mana is a big deal for some mages.  Not sure about Siren till I look at some book builds.

For now I'm going to test with her being trained in lvl 1 Curses.

I do find the fact that most every song will eventually fade which is an issue over longer sets.  Where every other enchantment HAVE to be dispelled or they won't go away unless they are flip > destroy type.

For right now I'm going to leave it at lvl 1 Curse training and playtest that. 

As for her spawn point.  None of them are cheap they are all investments.  An hers actually moves with her like Necromaners Tome.  Being expensive is why it is hard to dissolve it I do not want to lower the price or change it at all.