March 28, 2024, 09:25:34 AM

Author Topic: Pillar of Righteous Flame - Discussion  (Read 9173 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Pillar of Righteous Flame - Discussion
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 07:27:14 PM »
What if the attack on the Pillar was reduced one die or maybe two dice each time it went off... and changed the bonus dice to undead only (not all non-living). I think that would tone down it's power a bit, and make is more thematic in my opinion.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Knabbmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 08:21:53 AM »
Now I am not sure that pillar demands a nerf simply because I don't really see the meta becoming more diverse after it (just a few more creatures would see play). Even though it is clearly stronger than it should be.

IF you nerf it I would STRONGLY suggest that you don't add or even replace text on it. I think it could be very annoying if you can't read the card to see what it does and be forced to go to the forums just to check the wording on it before you make a play. I am a much bigger fan of removing text since then all info can still be found on the card, and it would also be quicker to explain to someone that we just  ignore the first or last sentence on a card.

The nerf I think would be the simplest is to remove it's attack during the upkeep. It would be similar to caltrops but instead of being permanent it would get one attak when you play it. And if we nerfed it this way it would reduce the amount of effects that stack in the upkeep, which I think is welcome to a lot of players.

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 06:31:44 AM »
It's a good card, but it really doesn't need nerfing. I play it, but I get more mileage out of Bed of Urchins in all honesty. Occasionally it's really great, but only occasionally.

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 08:05:10 PM »
I would say just remove the daze change from Pillar.

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 10:43:26 AM »
I get more mileage out of Bed of Urchins in all honesty

That's it. Pack it up, guys. Kelanen solved it for all of us. Everyone drop your pillars, add a BoU. They're basically equally strong and impactful.

I mean, who cares about it hitting your own guys? Or about it not attacking when you play it? Or about it not attacking in upkeep? Or about the one dice it misses? At least it has a rot! Much more versatile than a burn. I mean, look at all these fire-immune creatures. Rot can basically be applied to any creature you could be facing. And the daze is completely overrated as well. And, I mean, the two bonus dice against nonliving basically never apply either, let's be honest here.

I mean what is this? Our version of "What have the romans ever done for us?"
"What makes you think that Pillar is overpowered?"

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 06:35:14 AM »
I mean what is this? Our version of "What have the romans ever done for us?"
"What makes you think that Pillar is overpowered?"
Actually, yes it is exactly that. People are posting their opinions, I've heard all the arguments so far, and I think they are over-stated, I'm not convinced the card is any more in need of nerfing than a dozen other great cards (and they don't either).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 06:47:37 AM by Kelanen »