March 28, 2024, 04:40:47 PM

Author Topic: Winter War 47 (Jan 24-26, 2020)  (Read 12059 times)

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Winter War 47 (Jan 24-26, 2020)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 10:32:12 PM »
Yes, owner of the card. So if you mind control them into the zone, then it does not trigger. It still triggers during upkeep against anyone in the zone by whatever means.

Also, after a lot of discussion, the ritual was changed to be Life - 2 instead of doing direct damage. We've been playtesting it (albeit not as much as needed), and this seemed more balanced than full turn or extra damage. I'm getting ready to make the change to my earlier post.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 10:57:26 AM »
Update: All is good. We now have 8 hours plus the potential for 12 if we want. We will have to shut down during the auction, but that gives us time for lunch anyway. Looking forward to seeing everyone who can make it for the 3rd annual Winter War in Champaign.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 07:19:35 PM »
great news. looking forward to this. I have scheduled my time off for it too. I will see if I can get some others to make it with me.

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 10:52:51 PM »
Great. We're looking forward to everyone who can make it. Unfortunately, I live in a small apartment and Farkas is not in town on Friday, so we can't offer any lodging. I'm hoping we can find a place to get together before. We have an 8 hour slot now, and if no one is after us, we can basically play until they close the doors at night. We just have to stop this year during the auction. They got mad at me last year for us playing during the auction.

We begin at 9 a.m. on Saturday the 25th at the Holiday Inn Champaign Suits at 101 Trade Center Drive in Champaign. That is the time that I want to begin games if possible. It would be very helpful if you have your spellbook written out before hand. I'll have sheets on hand with spell name / spellbook pts / # cards / total cost.

Reminder, we are using the rules posted before, which were basically ADMW variants but without the channeling changes from last season and with a change to Pillar of Righteous Flame whereby only a move into the zone by the owner of the card will trigger. If you teleport your own creature into the zone then it triggers. If you move into the zone due to a spell such as siren's call, then it triggers. If you push your own creature into the zone then it triggers. If your opponent pushes you or teleports you into the zone, it does NOT trigger. It's a conscious choice by the owner change. Summoning into the zone still does not count as moving into the zone, so that also does NOT trigger the Pillar.

Opponents will be chosen at random in the first round, but the plan is to adjust so that you don't play anyone from your geographic area in the first two rounds at least. Second and subsequent round opponents will be organized by wins/losses. We'll make adjustments once we know how many people we have. I will do my best to make it fair. I know of at least one beginner who says he's going to play.

I have a 1st and 2nd place trophy (with the correct year on them this time).
I have a few smaller prizes too. I've been getting rid of games, and rather than auction it off, the winner will also get my copy of Thunderstone Advance with Ruins of Corruption add-on.

Looking forward to seeing everyone that can make it to central Illinois, USA.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 11:03:08 PM »
awesome news. thanks victore. see you all soon. stanyer you are going down dude.

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 06:16:42 PM »
Warlord just won winter war over druid, beastmaster, paladin, and warlock. Results, which I'll post in the forums were Zot 1st with a Warlord, Stanyer 2nd with a Paladin, Puddinghead 3rd with a Warlock, Farkas 4th with a Druid, and JBuzz Beastmaster in 5th. We had 4 who didn't make it, but we also had 2 newbies I played with for a few hours from the Rockford area and 2 others from the Champaign area stopped by to watch.
We're getting more players in the MidWest, which is nice since I prefer face-to-face games, and a great group of competitive players too.