March 28, 2024, 02:52:53 PM

Author Topic: Winter War 47 (Jan 24-26, 2020)  (Read 12058 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Winter War 47 (Jan 24-26, 2020)
« on: September 03, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »
I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to go this year, but still am curious whether the IL crew or others will be running games.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Winter War 47 (Jan 24-26, 2020)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 04:04:25 PM »
Yep we will be running an event again this year.  It will be a tournament most likely similar ruleset form last year.  We had a solid crew last year and expect a better turn out this year.   Hope u can make it Dave! 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 05:03:04 PM »
me too dave. hope you can make it. I am planning on going, and will see if anyone else will head over as well.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:26:37 PM »
me too dave. hope you can make it. I am planning on going, and will see if anyone else will head over as well.

Gale is having one of her knees replaced early in the year, and I have to do two financial closes in January... one early, and then one starting the 20th or so because we are changing our close process... it isn't likely....

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 10:09:21 AM »
I'm hoping to make it this year!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Jbuzzsaw79

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 11:40:55 PM »
Stanyer and I shall be there  8)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 11:46:22 PM »
great. I am looking to reclaim my title for this event.

Jbuzzsaw79

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 04:03:17 PM »
I told him he had to accept challenges to his crown lol

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 11:52:46 PM »
Winter Mage War 2020

It's official. The list of events is not yet on the website at https://www.winterwar.org/, but our event has officially been approved. We have 4 tables with enough room for 8 boards. Really looking forward to some fun games.

The Mage Wars Arena tournament will be held Saturday, January 25, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (although if it is like in the past, we usually have 2 tables that we can use until late evening). We have room for up to 16 players in the tournament.

If I've made any mistakes below, I apologize and I'll try to make a quick correction.

Rules:
  • - Any promotional cards that have been officially released in a set (arena or academy) will be considered to read as the official released version. Only cards (or their promotional counterparts) that have been officially released are allowed.
  • - Players will build a spellbook with the standard amount of spellbook points and restrictions for their chosen mage. Only Arena mages may be chosen. Spellbooks will be reviewed prior to the start of the tournament. Only one spellbook may be used per player for the tournament.
  • - Spell book lists will be submitted at the beginning. It is requested that participants have their spell books printed out, but this is not required.
  • - Each game will last 85 minutes. If both players have had an even number of initiatives, the game will and at the end of the current turn after 85 minutes. Any turn started after 85 minutes which provides that both players have had an equal number of initiatives will be considered the last turn.
  • - Each win will count as 2 points. A loss will count as 0 points. In the event of a tie, the judges will determine a winner based on board control and position, remaining life, and remaining spells. In such cases, the winner, if determined, will receive 2 points, otherwise, both players will receive 1 point.

• - The tournament will be played in two stages.
  • -- The first stage will be a round robin with two groups. The numbers in each group will be determined by the number of participants.
  • -- The top two players from each group will advance to round two. In the case of a tie (see points above), head-to-head results will be used. If we are unable to get enough games in for the two to have played head-to-head, the total wins and losses of opponents will be used to break the tie. The highest rated player from group 1 will play the second rated player from group 2 and vice versa in the semi-final round. The winners of the semi-final will play in the finals. If there is a tie in the semi-final or final match, the judges will determine the winner based on board control and position, remaining life, and remaining spells. If time permits, the final match may be allowed to continue for additional rounds beyond the time limit.

• - The rules will be the 3rd Edition Rulebook and the official rules and codex supplement 4.2 with the following changes (some from arcane duels).
  • -- Burns - Object is on fire. This is a flame condition. Each Upkeep Phase, roll 1 attack die of direct flame damage for each burn marker on each object. On a roll of “0,” remove that burn marker. Burn markers have a removal cost of 2. (basically clarifies burns as flame conditions and damage)-- Dig in and Press the Attack only apply to the zone they are in. For example, if you start in a zone with Dig In, but leave the zone during your activation, you also lose the Armor +1. (basically, you have to stay in the zone to get the benefit and the benefit only applies to that zone)-- Disciple of Radiance - Once per round, whenever your Mage casts or reveals a healing spell, Disciple of Radiance may deal 1 direct light damage to a target creature in her zone. (basically the ability may only be triggered once per round not once per healing spell)
  • -- The Embalmed - When summoning The Embalmed, remove target non-Epic Living creature in any discard pile from the game. This creature becomes a copy of the removed creature, gaining The Embalmed’s traits and subtypes. X= the removed creature’s mana cost. (basically changing it to requiring a targeting)
  • -- Flying - If a flying creature attacks a non-flying creature, it loses flying until the end of the attack and any counterattacks.
  • -- Force Pull - Once per round, the Forcemaster may cast this quick Force spell. Target creature is Pushed 1 zone towards the source of this spell. Will not Push a creature through a wall with the Passage Attack trait. (basically directing the pull towards the source)
  • -- Pillar of Righteous Flame - When Pillar of Righteous Flame is cast, or a Dissipate token is removed, it attacks an enemy creature in its zone. Pillar of Righteous Flame attacks each enemy creature immediately after they enter the zone as part of their move action. Being pushed, pulled, teleported by a spell and not as part of a move action, etc. into the zone does not trigger the Pillar, only movement as part of a move action by the owner of the card. Required movement from spells such as Siren's Call still count as a move action and will trigger the Pillar. (basically only triggers when cast, during upkeep, or when an opponent makes a conscious choice to move into the zone as part of their normal move action.)
  • -- Ritual of Kallek - Only a Mage can cast this spell. Choose a friendly creature to receive Life -2, then gain 3 mana.  (we've gone through a lot of changes trying to make this card more correctly costed and are currently going with this change. Before you ask, yes any friendly creature, including the mage.).
  • -- Steep Hill - Steep Hill will block the Line of Sight going through two diagonal sections of the hill for spells and ranged attacks. (basically LoS is blocked diagonally through the hill)
  • -- Swarm - Creatures with the Swarm trait cannot be targeted by non-attack actions or spells that do not specifically target Swarm creatures.  When attacking, Creatures with the Swarm trait may make additional strikes equal to their remaining health.  Additionally, they are immune to conditions, healing, and life gain of any type that does not target swarms. Non-zone attacks do a maximum of 1 damage to them. Swarms cannot guard. (basically making it so that there is no way for them to gain life.)
  • -- Symbiotic Orb - Sybiotic Orb triggers during the Avoid Attack step.
  • -- Trample - Trample counts as a Melee attack for defenses. It is neither a melee nor a ranged attack for any other trait such as melee +x. (clarifies that you can use a defense against it.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:34:23 PM by VictorE »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 11:56:24 PM »
ps I did buy trophies again this year, and I put the right year.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »
thanks victore. I am planning on making it and looking forward to the competition. farkas1 is going down, and stanyer is too.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 10:34:45 PM »
> only movement as part of a move action by the owner of the card.

Don't you mean only movement as part of a move action by the enemy of the owner of the card (or something like that)?

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 05:18:32 AM »
Curious why you are not using the most recent rule set? i.e. 4th Edition.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

VictorE

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 08:56:49 PM »

Don't you mean only movement as part of a move action by the enemy of the owner of the card (or something like that)?

Basically, the creature has to move into the zone as part of that creatures move action. If it is pushed, teleported, etc., into the zone as part of the opponents actions, then it does not trigger. It has to be caused by the owner of the card moving. Hope that makes sense. Still trying to figure out the wording.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 09:15:18 AM »

Basically, the creature has to move into the zone as part of that creatures move action. If it is pushed, teleported, etc., into the zone as part of the opponents actions, then it does not trigger. It has to be caused by the owner of the card moving. Hope that makes sense. Still trying to figure out the wording.

Owner of the card, or controlling mage of the creature? (Think [mwcard=FWE07]Mind Control[/mwcard])
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster