April 18, 2024, 04:44:51 PM

Author Topic: Could you imagine someone saying: "ill never play mage x again..."  (Read 5929 times)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Lets say that all the 9 channeling mages (excluding druid) got buffed to 10 channeling.

Would you say: "Because they buffed Mage X, ill never play Druid, Forcemaster, Necromancer, Priestess or Wizard again!".

Because i can't...

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Could you imagine someone saying: "ill never play mage x again..."
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »
Lets say that all the 9 channeling mages (excluding druid) got buffed to 10 channeling.

Would you say: "Because they buffed Mage X, ill never play Druid, Forcemaster, Necromancer, Priestess or Wizard again!".

Because i can't...

First, this is a good way to ask the question. :)

Generally speaking, no, I can't either. Except maybe Priestess. Her shtick is that she's a dedicated slow build-up mage who protects her creatures, both in terms of health/life and in terms of conditions. Being channeling 10 helps solidify this vs an aggro mage with channeling 9.

Said another way, if those mages listed above were dropped to channeling 9 (and the Druid to channeling 8 ), would you refuse to play them again?

I think Priestess would suffer disproportionately, and perhaps so would Forcemaster since the high channeling compensates for lack of total actions - e.g. fewer friendly creatures, spawnpoint (besides Forge), familiars (besides Thoughtspore(s)), etc. Perhaps Priestess could be given something like Druid's Treebond to give conditional +1 channeling for cheap (I guess the Monk and priest creatures are sort of a Mana Crystal on a stick, so it might already exist).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:42:05 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 03:03:33 PM »
I would pick the priestess over the priest in many situations.

The forcemaster does not really suffer vs 9 channeling mages, so while he might have a slightly harder time vs them if they are buffed his real problems is (imo) vs druid, necro and wizard.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 03:34:47 PM »
I might honestly play Siren a large number of times instead the Forcemaster with a blanket change to channeling. I don't think I would never play the Forcemaster again, but I would certainly play her less often.  Reason being, I feel like she needs more than Battleforge as a spawn point to be competitive anymore.  If Siren has 10 channel or FM has 9, the fact that Siren has spawnpoint will tip my favor in many situations.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 03:48:09 PM »
I'd say the FM is more competitive than ever (since HoB nerf / Battle fury nerf).

Illusory leggings.
Martial attack spells.
Constructs and symbiotic orb.
More + melee enchantments.

Do you find that Siren and FM are overlapping in strategies / playstyle?

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »

Because i can't...

Well you know, these will be implemented in the next tournament.
The Phoenix shall rise.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 04:16:45 PM »
I'd say the FM is more competitive than ever (since HoB nerf / Battle fury nerf).

Illusory leggings.
Martial attack spells.

fm improved when they changed the wizard tower. no longer could the tower just surging wave you every round.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »

Illusory leggings.
Martial attack spells.

I have either an elevated view of Action Economy or a dismal view of the solo playstyle.  Maybe both.  So, while those spells you listed are very good for the Forcemaster, the trouble is it is so much better (in my view) to be able to act last with your mage. With the onset of Fizzle and Disperse, the Forcemaster can no longer rely on Forcefield to allow her the safety of acting last (even though Symbiotic Orb is amazing).  I'll be honest, I haven't given it the "old college try" yet as I find I have much more fun with the control aspects of FM than the aggro ones. Additionally, all of those +melee enchants are one Purge away from you losing the game.  Since you have no creatures to transfuse a nullify from, no familiar to buff yourself and no actions to impose barriers-to-damage (guards, heals, blocks) you are quite often a sitting duck after a well-timed Incapacitate.

As for the Siren and Forcemaster playstyle overlap.  Yes, there is a decent amount.  In fact, I would love to play a Siren with Force Pull instead of regenerate. OMG that would be amazing.  The overlap that I like is the positional control.  It's slightly different for each of them in good ways, but being able to back up your positional control with more than one other creature (maybe 2 if you're really slow as FM) is really great. I honestly believe that with 10 channel, a slightly better "amphibious" trait OR a better spawnpoint I would play Siren way more often than I do (and I still play her a lot).

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 04:22:10 AM »
I'm already not playing the 10-channel mages. Boring fuckers.

So yes, they wouldn't get less boring if you add more channel to all others.

As to answer your question: I would never play Priestess or Necro again if we buff the 9ers up to 10.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 06:17:59 AM »
I'm already not playing the 10-channel mages. Boring fuckers.

So yes, they wouldn't get less boring if you add more channel to all others.

As to answer your question: I would never play Priestess or Necro again if we buff the 9ers up to 10.

You think they wouldn’t be competitive or just not your cup of tea?

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 07:08:17 AM »
No

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

SirJasonCrage

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 03:37:19 PM »
They's still be competitive. Heck, I'm convinced that Priestess, Wizard and Necro would be in almost the same situation they're in right now, even if they'd been 9-channel mages all along.

1 channel is basically worth one action and 5 mana.

This won't make or break a match. The reason our top mages are top mages is only to a very small degree their channeling. It's their abilities.

So no, they will still be competitive. I just don't like playing them.