April 25, 2024, 07:59:35 AM

Author Topic: Damage to Swarm Creature between attacks  (Read 4588 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Damage to Swarm Creature between attacks
« on: June 01, 2019, 11:10:04 AM »
When is the determination of the number of attacks that a Swarm Creature will get during its action?

Is the number of attacks changed during an attack action if the attacking Creature takes damage between attacks?

I am thinking about the interaction with a damage barrier, or a target with Counterattack from whatever source.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Damage to Swarm Creature between attacks
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »
This is for arena.

The Killer Bees are fairly simple.

Each time you reach step 7 you check to see if the requirement for more strikes is met.

ATTACK ACTION
1. Declare Attack
2. Pay Costs
3. Roll to Miss
4. Avoid Attack
5. Roll Dice
6. Damage & Effects
7. Additional Strikes
8. Damage Barrier

9. Counterstrike
10. Attack Ends

Because the additional strikes occur before damage barrier and counter strike step, a full health Killer Bee Swarm can do a total of 4 attacks with 1 dice each against the same target.

You run the steps from 3 - 7 a total of 4 times (unless the bees somehow loses health in the meantime (can theoretically happen)), and on the 4th time there is no more additional strikes allowed so you proceed to step 8-10.

The Ants are less obvious. I dare say that they are a mess.
As written: They run step 1-7 instead of 3-7 when they choose a new target. And they leave the original sequence hanging for a later resolution.
In order to keep things simple i think it should be ruled that when they choose a new target in step 7 it follows the rules for sweeping, and the first sequence has all steps fully executed before a new sequence is started.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 06:32:49 PM »
Thanks for the quick response... yes, I should have mentioned that the question related to Arena, though perhaps I didn't need to as there is a dedicated Academy area.

I didn't realize that the Ants worked differently from the Bees... never saw anyone try to use them.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 06:02:47 PM »
Because the additional strikes occur before damage barrier and counter strike step, a full health Killer Bee Swarm can do a total of 4 attacks with 1 dice each against the same target.
What if the target had Redirect or Eye for an Eye on them?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 07:12:38 PM »
What if the target had Redirect or Eye for an Eye on them?

Well, redirect is a defence and so takes place in step 4, before the additional attacks step. This would cause damage and reduce the overall number of attacks by the swarm.

Eye for an Eye would also deal damage to the swarm before the additional attacks step. But I am unsure whether it is direct damage (and thus would deal full damage to the swarm) or counts as an attack (and thus would only deal a maximum of 1 damage).
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 07:18:00 PM »
So Eye for an Eye might do two damage to a swarm if the one die attack rolls a 2?

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »

Well, redirect is a defence and so takes place in step 4, before the additional attacks step. This would cause damage and reduce the overall number of attacks by the swarm.

Eye for an Eye would also deal damage to the swarm before the additional attacks step. But I am unsure whether it is direct damage (and thus would deal full damage to the swarm) or counts as an attack (and thus would only deal a maximum of 1 damage).

Eye for an eye is not an attack. You do not do any other step; the attacker just receives the same damage and effect that the defender took.