April 26, 2024, 08:47:43 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars: Misc Stuff  (Read 6440 times)

JAM2099

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mage Wars: Misc Stuff
« on: April 27, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »
I love Mage Wars.  Great game.  I have 2 copies of EVERYTHING...base game, each mage, domination, academy, EVERYTHING!  Just waiting for Druid Academy to reprint...I'll buy 2 of those too. 
In response to some of the posts I've been reading:
Want a shorter game, make the arena smaller.  6 tile grid will be quicker than the normal 12 tile grid.  I usually build my own with 2 copies of Domination and end up with a 20 tile grid because I usually play 3-player with my wife and son.
Never played Acdemy officially but see no reason why they can't play in arena as is on a 6 tile or even 4 tile grid. 
All spells are free game in my spell books.   Young mage can cast an arena spell...have at it.
Recent change to my Arena games, why can't an arena Mage choose any spell they want at the time they want to cast it?  They were able to when they were in the academy?  An experienced mage should not have to prep their spells.  Many times I prepped a spell and when it came time to cast it, circumstances changed and I couldn't use it.  I play pick when you cast like in academy.  Works fine...more strategy.
Forcemaster is my favorite.  I have a devistating Forcemaster book that I love to play.
That's all for now.

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars: Misc Stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
I love Mage Wars.  Great game.  I have 2 copies of EVERYTHING...base game, each mage, domination, academy, EVERYTHING!  Just waiting for Druid Academy to reprint...I'll buy 2 of those too. 
In response to some of the posts I've been reading:
Want a shorter game, make the arena smaller.  6 tile grid will be quicker than the normal 12 tile grid.  I usually build my own with 2 copies of Domination and end up with a 20 tile grid because I usually play 3-player with my wife and son.
Never played Acdemy officially but see no reason why they can't play in arena as is on a 6 tile or even 4 tile grid. 
All spells are free game in my spell books.   Young mage can cast an arena spell...have at it.
Recent change to my Arena games, why can't an arena Mage choose any spell they want at the time they want to cast it?  They were able to when they were in the academy?  An experienced mage should not have to prep their spells.  Many times I prepped a spell and when it came time to cast it, circumstances changed and I couldn't use it.  I play pick when you cast like in academy.  Works fine...more strategy.
Forcemaster is my favorite.  I have a devistating Forcemaster book that I love to play.
That's all for now.
Interesting thoughts.

I strongly disagree with letting players change their prepared cards. For me, planning is the greatest display of skill in the game. Letting people swap their cards destroys this.

How is there more strategy when it takes little skill to pick cards after knowing what your opponent will do? If someone plays a hidden enchantment on me, and I assume it to be poisoned blood, I just switch to seeking dispel. There is no skill there.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:04:48 PM by Reddicediaries »
The Phoenix shall rise.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »
Interesting thoughts.

I strongly disagree with letting players change their prepared cards. For me, planning is the greatest display of skill in the game. Letting people swap their cards destroys this.

I agree. I think the game would work fine without the planning phase, and it may even speed the game up a bit as people with AP wouldn't have to agonize over the decision. But, it also removes a key part of the skill inherent in the game.

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 02:24:13 PM »
Yes pretty terrible idea - removes most of the skill and tactics...

Apprentice mode is a 6 tile grid. That game already exists, it's not Academy.

JAM2099

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 05:33:02 PM »
WOW, harsh.  Oh well.  To each his own.  It works for my games quite well.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 06:56:27 AM »
I agree that it takes strategy away. But i really like this idea! It changes the game to a RTS style.
And it would help with shortening the game length
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

Reddicediaries

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Out of the ashes, a new power will rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 07:39:37 AM »
WOW, harsh.  Oh well.  To each his own.  It works for my games quite well.

I don't think all the comments are phrased appropriately or in the best taste. Sorry for that.

I was trying to convey something, perhaps it came off a bit harsh (though I tried to make sure I was never attacking you. If it came off across as such, I apologize).
The Phoenix shall rise.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
+1 on the I Love Mage Wars  ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »

Seconded. Also agree that Forcemaster (hurls) Rocks!

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 06:53:39 AM »

Seconded. Also agree that Forcemaster (hurls) Rocks!
+1 more
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 10:20:29 AM »
You all get banana stickers for keeping the thread light!
(Also Mage Wars Rocks!)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Beldin

• The Craziest
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »
Yes pretty terrible idea - removes most of the skill and tactics...

Apprentice mode is a 6 tile grid. That game already exists, it's not Academy.

Seconded. If it works for you then great however that is not arena, nor is it something I want to play. It is a tit for tat battle that require little thought and planning. What makes the game interesting is locking in a choice for the turn. By choosing the best counter for the spell played, when required, detracts from the game at large. The arena is fine how it is. if you do not like the length or size of the game then maybe another game would be to your liking instead.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 03:55:47 PM »
nothing wrong with making it a house rule for kitchen table mage wars, which is what you are doing. if it works for you and adds a different component to the game that you like, go for it!  :D
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns