April 19, 2024, 02:19:28 AM

Author Topic: Offensive Creatures for the Wizard  (Read 5116 times)

tidus99

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Offensive Creatures for the Wizard
« on: October 08, 2012, 05:35:55 AM »
This weekend I played a couple of games with the Wizard. It was a customised spell book as I wanted to pick each card that went into it.

In both games I used my spawn point to summon a Hydra and pay the difference from my Mage's supply.

The Hydra seems really cool but for me it seemed more of a defensive choice than an offensive one. Triple strike requires a full action so when I activate my Hydra there has to be an enemy creature in my zone.

If I try and be offensive with the Hydra it will take 3 rounds (assuming I am one zone away) before I can attack (Hydra cast, move action, triple strike). In the games I played my opponent just ignored my Hydra, darting around my zone but never into it.

As a strategy I could try and pin my opponent or use the push mechanic to move enemies into the Hydra's zone. Although this requires a lot of planning and my opponent could foil it by simply force pushing the Hydra or similar.

I use the Gorgon Archer quite a bit but I don't feel like I have many good creatures to mount an attack with currently. Any good offensive creatures I may have overlooked?

Darkfox101

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Offensive Creatures for the Wizard
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:21:56 AM »
Using Force Push or Teleport on Hydra are some other ways to get him into a zone with enemy creatures to pull off his triple strike.  You could also use Cheetah Speed on the Hydra to make it a normal speed creature.

Most of the Arcane creatures that are currently out are a little bit different than the other schools' creatures, a few of them are slow and a few also have special traits and abilities.  Try to find what works best for your play style.
”Do you feel your life’s blood turning to poison,
ravaging you? Perhaps if you are quick, you may
drain enough of it to live? No, perhaps not.”
— Tellas Vane, Warlock

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:10:20 PM »
1) Put a Hydra and Mana Leech in one zone
2) Put a Gorgon Archer one zone away
3) Activate your hydra -> quickcast Teleport on an enemy creature and bring it to your hydra -> attack the enemy creature.
4) Even if it tries to move away, it is hindered, so your Mana Leech and Gorgon Archer will still be in range to hit it.
5) Kill a strong creature in one round of attacks.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 01:52:38 AM »
Also Thunderbolt and Lightning bolt both have a fairly decent chance to stun. Either you keep them in the zone with your Hydra this turn or you keep them from running away next turn.

Hedge